pseudoscience medical thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
So friends, since i started homebrewing about 8 years ago i have not been sick, aside from the random midwest allergy sinus infection funk that everyone gets. The last time I got a real sickness was a stomach flu shortly before that. I conformed that based on med records before my dates of promash recipes. I am a father now an have decided to cut my drinking to the weekends because the sleepless nights and stress of fatherhood of a 2 year old are just not worth it anymore to my work performance. Prior to this decision, I have enjoyed 2 or so beers per night and a few more on the weekends, basically having a few drinks everyday for the last 8 years. The week 2 after cutting back on drinking, I have gotten a different stomach bug, now twice in 2 weeks. Aside from the random beer and alcohol advocates that have done hyped up alcohol studies, empirically there isn't a lot of hardcore evidence that beer/alcohol PREVENTs sickness. I just want to get a feel of the people who drink regularly and how often they get the kind of sick that makes them feel like death vs the common ailments that everyone faces.

Four pours a day, but not going to associate that with stellar health, and not just for an old f@rt.

Wouldn't be prudent, that'd be a jinx waiting to happen...

Cheers! ;)

1-2 a day. The ONLY sickness I have had in the past 10 years has been a cold now and then and one case of "walking pneumonia" Those I fight very well w/ZICAM or store brands of the same stuff. Could be the beer? But I've only been home brewing about 3 years. Maybe I'm just the healthy type. I don't get stomach bugs, constipated, the runs or most of the problems that all the "stuff" advertised on TV will "cure". LOL

I had about the same thing happen a few weeks ago when I was waiting for my ESB to get ready for fridge time with the pipeline gone. Retired, bills, family, etc took center stage once more. As these things often do in the course of a husband/father's life. I got this stomach flu/whatever from, I think, my youngest son the wrestler. Hey, school lockers, especial gym ones, carry their own brand of funk. So I initially did the bathroom butt boogie. Bump bump bubbadum ba bumpbumpbumpbump bubbadum...
Anyway, since I too stopped drinking for near the same amount of time, it hit me pretty good. Constipation after initial diarrhea for a couple weeks. Felt sorta like I was runnin' on fumes & 20 miles from a pit stop. But, by then of course, my own beer's ready & I feel better...considering I'll be 59 on the 31st. HB does contain B vitamins & such due to the brewer's yeast we use. Besides some dissolved proteins.

I know a couple of urologists who recommend drinking plenty of beer to reduce kidney stone risk. That's medical advice I can get behind. One thing to consider is kids. Kids are disgusting. Don't get me wrong, love the buggers, but when they gather in packs illnesses abound and all who come in contact are subject to years of regular stomach bugs and colds.

Yea like above, kids a basically little germ factories and if one gets it, expect the whole house to run through it before long. Though the beer can't HURT things :D

Well, since beer has B vitamins & proteins, besides making you pee, it's a good thing for what ales you. :D Wash the lil buggers right out! :rockin:

It's the yeast in the beer......buy some brewer's yeast supplement and take that (a lot cheaper than what ya pay for beer yeast and healthier than drinking every day)....just a suggestion...and when ya are drinking, drink the sludge from the bottom of your homebrew....it's GOOD for you :)

I drink 1 or 2 most days (or several on the weekends ). Aside from the same generic sinus funk, I don't get sick too often...maybe a stomach flu once every 5 years or so. The last time I remember being really sick was catching walking pneumonia from my wife about 5 or 6 years ago.

I attribute my health more to lack of children than beer consumption though. Even on the occasions I got stomach flu, it directly followed a major holiday, where I shared food with half the family and my cousins' kids had their hands all over everything.

I know a couple of urologists who recommend drinking plenty of beer to reduce kidney stone risk. That's medical advice I can get behind. One thing to consider is kids. Kids are disgusting. Don't get me wrong, love the buggers, but when they gather in packs illnesses abound and all who come in contact are subject to years of regular stomach bugs and colds.

That's what I was thinking!

I drink 3 beers per day, and I never get sick. Until.................my grandsons come to visit.

The oldest is now 4, and I don't catch things from him, but the younger one is 19 months and in daycare full time.

Kids, especially those who go to daycare, are like a petri dish.

I just spent Jan- March 15 in Texas, and didn't even have a sniffle. Lots of other people were ill with 'the crud' going around, but not me. I went to my pilates class, had dinner with friends, and so on, and never even had an ache or a pain.

The oldest grandson is coming over on Saturday (haven't seen him since about Jan 10!) and that will be ok, but the next day I'm going to have the younger one. I can almost guarantee you that I will have a cold or something next week!

I spent 30+ years in the healthcare profession, and never got sick from work. But once my own daughter started preschool, I got pneumonia from her! It continues with the grandkids.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVwR0rw5fk[/ame]

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

I haven't noticed and difference in how often I get sick. It's probably just a random coincidence.

But kids are well known to spread germs and sickness. Look into who your kid has been around last week.

That's what I was thinking!

I drink 3 beers per day, and I never get sick. Until.................my grandsons come to visit.

The oldest is now 4, and I don't catch things from him, but the younger one is 19 months and in daycare full time.

Kids, especially those who go to daycare, are like a petri dish.

I just spent Jan- March 15 in Texas, and didn't even have a sniffle. Lots of other people were ill with 'the crud' going around, but not me. I went to my pilates class, had dinner with friends, and so on, and never even had an ache or a pain.

The oldest grandson is coming over on Saturday (haven't seen him since about Jan 10!) and that will be ok, but the next day I'm going to have the younger one. I can almost guarantee you that I will have a cold or something next week!

I spent 30+ years in the healthcare profession, and never got sick from work. But once my own daughter started preschool, I got pneumonia from her! It continues with the grandkids.

Years ago my Dr told me to try ZICAM. I take it any time I "think" I might be coming down w/something. And if I can catch it on time either I don't get sick or its over in a week instead of 2 or 3. WallMart and other big box stores have their own versions.

Wash your hands occasionally and stop touching your face...except for beer to your lips.

You can touch all the nasty door handles (or kids) all you want, all day long, but as soon as you rub your eye or pick your nose, you're done for.

I generally drink at least a little bit daily. I've been "sick" (defined here as actually having a fever) once in the past 6 years since I started drinking regularly.

I like to blame it on the beer, but I also eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly, so I guess I could attribute it to that, if I wanted to.

I have the immune system of a horse, always have. I use the Carlin Theory to explain it. I've never been afraid of germs, so they're afraid of me.

(NSFW, Language)

Last edited by a moderator:
"Aside from the random beer and alcohol advocates that have done hyped up alcohol studies, empirically there isn't a lot of hardcore evidence that beer/alcohol PREVENTs sickness."

I hate to be the wet blanket, but there is scientific study on the effect of alcohol on the human body, and it isn't generally positive. Here is one example that specifically mentions that alcohol inhibits the immune system. For the science geeks:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252475/

That said, we all take risks in our lives and have our vices, for some it is brewing beer and drinking in moderation.
Moderate intake may also offer some benefits:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908373/

One thing to consider is kids. Kids are disgusting. Don't get me wrong, love the buggers, but when they gather in packs illnesses abound and all who come in contact are subject to years of regular stomach bugs and colds.

Yep. Like OP, I used to basically NEVER get sick. Then we had kids. Now with three of them, it's a given that if one of them gets the sniffles, we're in for 3-4 weeks of it making its way through everyone else in the house.

And why is everything in the damn house STICKY now?! :mad:

Yep. Like OP, I used to basically NEVER get sick. Then we had kids. Now with three of them, it's a given that if one of them gets the sniffles, we're in for 3-4 weeks of it making its way through everyone else in the house.

And why is everything in the damn house STICKY now?! :mad:

Quoted for truth, it's like living with Slimer.

Latest posts

Back