Upcoming plans - cherry wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
There is a cherry tree in my back yard. I have no idea exactly what kind of cherry it produces… maybe Rainer. It’s doing good this year. Last year was exceptionally weak for the tree, only 1-2 cherries made it. The rest got moldy on the branch so I trimmed it last fall with the idea to let more light into the middle.
IMG_3562.jpeg

I plan to make some cherry wine this weekend or next (depending on when the cherries peak). Below was what I was thinking of doing, please advise as needed…

1. Pick cherries, immediately pull stem, pit and freeze.

2. Next day (or weekend, depending on if I pick on a Sunday) juice the cherries with press. I am hoping for 1-3 gallons of juice.

3. Add sugar or honey (or some other sweetener?) to get gravity to 1.08 - 1.09.

4. Add some fermaide O. I usually use a tonsa clac for mead. Maybe cut it half since it’s mostly cherries?

5. Pitch yeast, I’m out of gofirm and don’t feel like buying more. I was thinking of just rehydrating in some of the juice with nutrients already mixed in.

I have several yeasts on hand, I was thinking of using QA23. Other choices are… 71b, d47 & ec1118.

All in price of $0. No plans for back sweetening, just ferment/rack/clear/bottle. What do you guys think? Suggestions?

Last edited:
In the freezer they go! There is about another 1/2 gallon to pick next weekend when they ripen, then I will see how much juice I get.

Any suggestions on if I should do 100% juice or add water?
IMG_3570.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

When I made cherry wine last year, I didn't make juice from it, but instead fermented the cherries whole and then strained them out. It's one of my favorite wines. I made it from cherries I found in my freezer (from 2016 and 2019!)--Montmorency pie cherries. The wine has a lovely cherry taste and aroma.

and for those who have a need to pit cherries in the future, I highly recommend you look up the "chopstick + wine bottle" pitting method. I pitted 70 quarts of Rainier cherries on Monday to make a batch of jam and load up the dehydrator. took less than 90 minutes once I got the technique down.

for reference I used a cherry pitter from Ace Hardware and managed to pit about 100 cherries in 30 minutes using that tool I have now designated to a yard sale

1687289570779.png

and for those who have a need to pit cherries in the future, I highly recommend you look up the "chopstick + wine bottle" pitting method. I pitted 70 quarts of Rainier cherries on Monday to make a batch of jam and load up the dehydrator. took less than 90 minutes once I got the technique down.

for reference I used a cherry pitter from Ace Hardware and managed to pit about 100 cherries in 30 minutes using that tool I have now designated to a yard sale

View attachment 822980
I’m going to look this up. I ended up getting 3 gallons of cherries from the tree which amounted to 13 pounds after cleaning, removing pits and stems.

It took me about 3 hours, I got it down to about an average of 1 cherry every 5 seconds

Back