Propagator yeast pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Ok, Just got the order from midwest that I'm planning on brewing this weekend. Just in time! Looking over the order and found that they sent me the wyeast propagatoer pack instead of the activator pack. I'm brewing in twelve hours. I called and the Rep. there assured me that I didn't have to make a starter for 12-24 hours, just pitch the yeast like a activator pack and all will be well. What do you guys think? LHBS is 40 miles away and does'nt open until 11:00 AM. I hate screw ups, I had this all planned out. Now I have to mess around! Any imput is appreciated!

ok I just checked their website, and they claim that you can pitch the pack as is,,,however, I would make a starter,,,,especially for an IPA.

It's called "Propagator" for a reason. Make a starter.

And if you actually read the packet, it will tell you the same thing.

:cross:

I'm a bit dissapointed in MW at this, I regularly get "upgraded" to Activator packs from Propagator packs, no charge...maybe I'm getting your packs?!@!?

They have screwed up my last couple of orders too...but made it right.

:drunk:

Yea, this has really put me in a spot, DAMN IT! I've recently ordered some stuff from Northern brewer and been very impressed with them. Going to bed now, ANY other advice by morning will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks

Yes, make a starter. 2 qts should be fine. Unfortunately you are brewing pretty soon, since I'd like you to let this starter going for a day or two and then put in the fridge to settle out the yeast. After that you can decant the spent starter liquid. But you will also be fine with just pitching the whole starter.

Kai

Not to lecture, but what would you have done if your order had been one day late? There wouldn't have been time to get even an activator pack going properly.

Note also that any yeast (not just Wyeast products) may need a few days to get going depending on how old the yeast is. I allow one extra day for each month since production.

Mikey said:
Not to lecture, but what would you have done if your order had been one day late? There wouldn't have been time to get even an activator pack going properly.

Note also that any yeast (not just Wyeast products) may need a few days to get going depending on how old the yeast is. I allow one extra day for each month since production.

I would have started a new thread and whined and cried about it!:drunk:

Latest posts

Back