How much Kveik yeast for 10 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a 10 gallon Northeast IPA today and I have two packs of Kveik yeast that are each 11 g. Should I just put one in one fermenter and one in the other or?? I think I was told to use a whole packet in 5 gallons so I figured two packs for 10 gallons? If anyone has confirmation of this or a difference of opinion, let me know. Thank you.

Which yeast? Voss or Lutra? What gravity wort? What fermentation temp? Kveik yeast are pretty aggressive. While I am not 100% sure that underpitching produces more flavors, often people recommend underpitching Voss and fermenting it hot to boost the yeast character. In that case, 1 pack would likely work fine. If you want a more neutral character with Voss or Lutra, then maybe pitch both packs.

I have successfully used as little as a teaspoon of slurry for five gallons so I'd happily share one pack between to fermenters and still call it an overpitch.

Last edited:
This is Lalbrew Voss yeast and it's a dry yeast. The OG of this beer is estimated at 1.069.

It is a potential source of off flavour. Multiple cases have confirmed this, I would just leave it out of my beer.

What's the cutoff point for kveik nutrient? Some big name YTbers seem to suggest doubling the normal amount of nutrient if using a kveik strain.

What's the cutoff point for kveik nutrient? Some big name YTbers seem to suggest doubling the normal amount of nutrient if using a kveik strain.
There is no "normal amount" of nutrient. Beer wort is nutrient rich, no need for additional nutrients for normal beer yeasts. People want you to buy their stuff. That is why they tell you to use it. Other people get spnsored by these people and also tell you the same. The next group is only repeating what the others are saying...

Kveiks in general are not typical beer yeasts. It developed in stronger wort than average and can be a bit finicky and wants more nutrients than the average beer yeast. This comes into play for lower og worts, but the beer in question is not one of these.

However, I have succesfully used Voss and Lutra in sub 1.05 OG beers without any issues so I would skip additional nutrients entirely.

There is no "normal amount" of nutrient. Beer wort is nutrient rich, no need for additional nutrients for normal beer yeasts. People want you to buy their stuff. That is why they tell you to use it. Other people get spnsored by these people and also tell you the same. The next group is only repeating what the others are saying...

Kveiks in general are not typical beer yeasts. It developed in stronger wort than average and can be a bit finicky and wants more nutrients than the average beer yeast. This comes into play for lower og worts, but the beer in question is not one of these.

However, I have succesfully used Voss and Lutra in sub 1.05 OG beers without any issues so I would skip additional nutrients entirely.

Thanks. Can you post a link to the cases of off flavors you're referring? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read up on it and see.

Thanks. Can you post a link to the cases of off flavors you're referring? Not that I don't believe you, I'd just like to read up on it and see.
No sorry. There have been multiple accounts here in the forum where people were searching for this little off flavour for ages. They couldn't find it. At one point they left the nutrient in the shelve and pooof, off-flavour gone. But I'd have to look them up myself, no idea who it was and when.

I keep it always as simple as possible. Everything that is not necessary stays out of my beer. Every single ingredient has it's purpose. There is no "what harm can it do" ingredient in my beers.

A bit like what harm can fertiliser do.

Many types of fertiliser and types of yeast nutrient.
I suppose the OP has 2 batches so could put nutrient in one. See what happens after all yeast performance might change the beer for the better.

A bit like what harm can fertiliser do.

Many types of fertiliser and types of yeast nutrient.
I suppose the OP has 2 batches so could put nutrient in one. See what happens after all yeast performance might change the beer for the better.
Just that you do not eat the soil with all the leftover of the fertilisers in it.

Last edited:
@Miraculix
Without getting into a battle over this, yeast nutrition and supplements have a role. Providing Healthy well performing yeast is our role as brewers.
You aren't so skeptical about additives in your beer after all.

@Miraculix
Without getting into a battle over this, yeast nutrition and supplements have a role. Providing Healthy well performing yeast is our role as brewers.
You aren't so skeptical about additives in your beer after all.
That is what barley wort is made for! Healthy fermentation! No need for additional stuff. Go ask the German breweries everybody admires here in this forum. You won't find yeast nutrients in any of them.

What do you mean with beer additives?

No sorry. There have been multiple accounts here in the forum where people were searching for this little off flavour for ages. They couldn't find it. At one point they left the nutrient in the shelve and pooof, off-flavour gone. But I'd have to look them up myself, no idea who it was and when.

I keep it always as simple as possible. Everything that is not necessary stays out of my beer. Every single ingredient has it's purpose. There is no "what harm can it do" ingredient in my beers.

I've usually added nutrient towards the end of the boil (15 min with the whirlflock addition). Does yeast nutrient have to be a boil addition or could you add it to the wert at the same time as pitching the yeast?

I've usually added nutrient towards the end of the boil (15 min with the whirlflock addition). Does yeast nutrient have to be a boil addition or could you add it to the wert at the same time as pitching the yeast?
I'm sure you could add it any damn time you want to but, I always put it in at the beginning of the boil (if I'm going to at all) just to make sure, everything is sanitary.

I hear people talking all about yeast nutrient and what to do with it and why you should and blah blah blah but, I figure that the monks didn't put any of that crap in there and making a wort IS making a yeast nutrient. I don't mess with the stuff unless I'm making a starter.

Back