Problems with Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinrphillips

Reaction score
So I brewed a Festbier this weekend and I chilled the wort down to 50 before I pitched the Wyeast 2308. I pitched on Saturday 7-6 and as of today 7/10 there is no bubble activity from the blow off tube. Now when I did the smack pack I did 24 hours ahead of time I did not get tons of puffing up of the pack. At this point I am wondering if the beer can be salvaged in any way. Should I try warming things up about 50 which I can easily do or at this point have I lost the beer. The beer is in a SS Brew Bucket inside a temp controlled fridge.

I am just not sure if I got a dud yeast pack or did I pitch to low. I have never had an issue like this with any beer I have done in the past including lagers.

Last edited:
Bubbling isn't a reliable indicator. Take a sample and see what the gravity is.

That said, doing 5 gal of lager without a starter (and no evidence of activity in the smack pack), you may have a 3-4 day lag time before it really takes off.

What he said and the fact that lagers require about 3-4 times the amount of yeast as an ale. If pitching packs without making a starter I would say you needed 4 or 5 packs. You can wait it out. Most likely it will ferment eventually, but in the future look into making the proper sized starter for the gravity of the beer whenever you are using liquid yeast.

Thanks the fact that I did not make a starter was something that was different this time around!

As someone mentioned it will start, but your FG will probably be higher than ideal, and more esters due to more growth of the initially (under)piched amount of yeast.

I may try to add a few more packs to help

Oxygen and nutes are depleted by now, so when you mention "packs" I reckon you mean dry yeast. Use yeast from Fermentis, do not use yeast from Mangrove jacks. Or if you mean fresh yeast, you need to spin it on a stirrer first.

Oxygen and nutes are depleted by now, so when you mention "packs" I reckon you mean dry yeast. Use yeast from Fermentis, do not use yeast from Mangrove jacks. Or if you mean fresh yeast, you need to spin it on a stirrer first.
I may have to call this batch a learning experience and try it again this time making a starter

Back