St Peters Honey Porter Co2 Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth Collier

Reaction score
Hi just kegged my St Peters Honey Porter a couple of days ago its now in fridge to cool.

What co2 pressure to slow carbonate my Porter and how many days do you recommend.

Also what serving pressure?

I have seen that porters don't need much carbonation if am correct.

Many thanks.

Porters and stouts are typically carbonated to a lower level than many styles at 1.5~2 volumes of CO2.
Use our favorite carbonation table to set the proper CO2 pressure given your preferred dispensing temperature. For example, if you prefer to dispense your porter at 45°F you would set your CO2 pressure between 3 and 9 PSI for levels from 1.5 to 2 volumes, or something in between.

carbonation_table.jpg

It can take a good week or two to bring a keg up to the desired carbonation level using "chart pressure", depending on the desired carbonation level, with higher taking longer. When I carbonate my kegs to a full 2.5 volumes (pales, IPAs, etc) I allow ~2.5 weeks. To get to, say, 2 volumes, that might drop down to a little under 2 weeks. Otoh, I dispense my stout on beer gas with the CO2 level only ~1.2 volumes, which takes about a week...

Cheers!

Back