Probably a Silly Question - (secondary activity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvardSquareHomey

Reaction score
Ok, so I responded to someone else's thread on another part of the forums, but didn't really get any response. I'm trying again with a picture. This California Imperial Ale has been in the 2ndary for 8 days now. I pulled probably too much of the trub from the primary in transfer. I usually don't pull more than 1/2 cup or so.

A LOT of airlock activity for being in 2ndary. More than I've ever seen. And I've never seen this foam before. And because the thing has been jostled a bit, it's clouded up. At least I hope that's why it's cloudy.
How much can this affect the finished product? What's up with the crazy activity? I'm hoping this doesn't mean there's an infection in this thing.

beer2.jpg

looks like you racked too early. your beer looks fine! did you take a hydrometer reading?

I haven't taken a hydro reading since my very first batch. I felt like I was reading it wrong and so I quit doing it. Plus I was too afraid of contamination. I guess I could venture another try though. We did leave it in the primary for about 2 weeks. Maybe it needed another week?

honestly, dust off the old hydro and take a reading. if you have trouble reading it then take a picture of the hydro in the cylinder and see if anyone here can help you out. i think a recipe wouldnt hurt either.

With 2 weeks in primary I would think that it would be done but if you brought enough yeast over in transfer and sloshed it around a bit it's certainly possible that fermentation could have started again.

As others have said, the only real way to know is to take a hydrometer reading.

Back