Hiatuses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, hey, I forgot my favorite: "Google is your friend." It comes in another flavor: "Use the forum's search function."

Yeah, that's exactly why I go to forums. To have jerks who don't finance the domain tell me I'm not supposed to post anything. Really stupid. The whole purpose of a forum is to publish posts, and that includes posts about topics people have already discussed. It includes questions people have failed to find answers for because they didn't use the right search terms. You're not improving the forum or saving "bandwidth" (like it's something that runs out) by discouraging other people from posting. You're just killing the forum and being abusive.

It's really not possible to say "Google is your friend" unless you're kind of a jerk.

A corollary to this is that only jerks abuse people who post beginner questions for not knowing much. This is not merely wrong. It's dumb.

Check this out:

google friend.JPG

Haha! I totally forgot Usenet (jeeze!) I participated in a number of fishing related groups, particularly rec.outdoors.fishing.fly (aka "r.o.f.f"), along with a crapton of technical groups related to DEC platforms.

Of course this was well after DECnet had been around for years, and we had our own internal forums on a text based platform named "Notes", much of its functionality ending up in Usenet. Most were business related but there was an extensive collection of non-business forums including a flyfishing group...

Cheers!
Hah. I used to love the flame wars on rec.woodworking. I also avidly read the FreeBSD forums until apple hired Jordan Hubbard to work on OSX. I still have a valid Slashdot account, but almost never read it anymore.

Oh, hey, I forgot my favorite: "Google is your friend." It comes in another flavor: "Use the forum's search function."

Yeah, that's exactly why I go to forums. To have jerks who don't finance the domain tell me I'm not supposed to post anything. Really stupid. The whole purpose of a forum is to publish posts, and that includes posts about topics people have already discussed. It includes questions people have failed to find answers for because they didn't use the right search terms. You're not improving the forum or saving "bandwidth" (like it's something that runs out) by discouraging other people from posting. You're just killing the forum and being abusive.

It's really not possible to say "Google is your friend" unless you're kind of a jerk.

A corollary to this is that only jerks abuse people who post beginner questions for not knowing much. This is not merely wrong. It's dumb.
I still love "LMGTFY"

Everybody knows that you can't fix an aneurysm with JB Weld. You need superglue.

I don't even remember what I used to do back in usenet days. I spent a lot of time on Prius Chat when I got my first Prius. Found some good stuff, mostly from a handful of really knowledgeable and helpful posters, but unfortunately a lot more misinformation. Was also on baseballthinkfactory a ton for several years but eventually got tired of having the same arguments over and over.

Back