Cloudy floating residue above trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastaM

Reaction score
Ive brewed maybe 15 batches, mostly all grain. Brewing my first lager, and first time doing 10gallons which I split into two carboys. Recipe is all grain. It was too cold to use the hose and therefor too cold for wort chiller so I left the wort in the carboys overnight before pitching any yeast. I also dumped much more hop sludge than usual since I was lower than expected on volume. This morning when beer had reached pitching temp I noticed there was a cloudy residue, almost like a blob, above the hop sediment on the bottom before pitching any yeast. Its much much more prevalent in glass carboy vs the fermonster, but its in both.I haven't seen this before but I usually pitch the yeast same day and there's plenty of activity by now clouding things up. I can't find anything similar when searching. The picture isn't super clear but wondering if anyone has any info about what this is. I pitched the yeast anyway.

Attachments

• 20240121_085630.jpg
    20240121_085630.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Quite a bit of the trub just settled to the bottom overnight. Now that the yeast is pitched, it's beginning to stir things up. If it gets very active, all that trub on the bottom might get carried back into suspension.

If you sit and watch it, you can get mesmerized watching the tiny bubbles drag the trub up with them while a trail of trub is streaming behind it.

I suspect the difference is probably down to slower cooling. That's what my first couple brews looked like before I made an immersion chiller and just set the pot on a bed of ice. With slower cooling the proteins have time to bond together more like membrane than individual grains and chunks while decending from the hotter top to cooler bottom. It's still the same stuff, just in a more coherent formation.

Back