Priming sugar vs brewing sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philmac

Reaction score
is priming sugar the same as brewing sugar?
I have brewing sugar that i was going to use to prime a beer i am bottling tonight and hope it is the same!

I've never heard of "brewing sugar", sounds like a Mr. Beer gimmick of some sort. Is it pure white, or does it have a tan hue? If pure white, it is probably corn sugar which is 100% fermentable and perfect for priming. If tan, it is probably malt extract which is only about 70% fermentable, and not very good for priming.

The label has brewing sugar on it- its by Young's i think. But is is white so i'm going to go with it being right. and i do not have time to go to the brew shop after work anyway :)

...and then there's Candi sugar, something altogether different.

Priming sugar can be as simple as using processed white sugar (sucrose) that comes in loose form or as cubes.
In the US, I use cubes of sucrose to individually prime my bottles. Each one is approximately 3.5 grams and that amount will sufficiently carbonate 12 fluid ounces of beer.
Young's Brewing sugar is dextrose monohydrate (glucose with a water molecule attached) and is processed more quickly by yeast. It might be more expensive than sucrose ... but then again, sucrose will work, but you may need more patience. When using sucrose for bottle carbing the yeast can produce acetaldehyde compounds. It will eventually be metabolized by the yeast but can take a bit of extra time before the beer's ready to drink.

When using sucrose for bottle carbing the yeast can produce acetaldehyde compounds. It will eventually be metabolized by the yeast but can take a bit of extra time before the beer's ready to drink.

I have never seen this idea mentioned before. I primed many batches with sucrose (table sugar) before switching to kegging and actually still do prime kegs with sucrose when I have more beer to carbonate than I can manage to force carb. I also use sucrose in DIPA and many high ABV belgian recipes. Never noticed such an issue. I use sucrose because it is easier to keep on hand than corn sugar (it's always there in my kitchen) and every source I could find indicated they were interchangeable for brewing purposes so long as you properly adjust for the moisture content of corn sugar.

Not saying it isn't a real issue...actually curious and spent a few minutes googling but was not able to find a source. Any help with a source would be appreciated.

I have never seen this idea mentioned before. I primed many batches with sucrose (table sugar) before switching to kegging and actually still do prime kegs with sucrose when I have more beer to carbonate than I can manage to force carb. I also use sucrose in DIPA and many high ABV belgian recipes. Never noticed such an issue. I use sucrose because it is easier to keep on hand than corn sugar (it's always there in my kitchen) and every source I could find indicated they were interchangeable for brewing purposes so long as you properly adjust for the moisture content of corn sugar.

Not saying it isn't a real issue...actually curious and spent a few minutes googling but was not able to find a source. Any help with a source would be appreciated.

The source was a Young's Brewing Sugar advertisement!
https://www.youngsgroup.co.uk/catalogue/ingredients/sugars/brewing-winemaking-sugar-1kg-874-detail

haha ok got it. I believe if there is any truth to that old idea it came from the kit and a kilo brewing days where the sugar addition was nearly half the fermentable sugar in the recipe. I really don't think it applies to the typical additions used in strong beers (I like 5-10% in DIPA and 10-15% in beligan triples) or the tiny portion used in bottling.

I always use carbonation drops for convenience.
This is the first time I have used priming sugar so looking forward to seeing if it’s any better!

Back