Priming sugar for yeungling cling kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italianorose

Reaction score
Hi guys, I made a yeungling clone kit and tomorrow is bottling day. I am looking to Yield approximately 4 gallons of this ale (brewed as an ale, not a lager) and I am not sure how to use the priming sugar that came with my kit. They sent me 5oz of priming sugar, and I am assuming that they sent 5oz for the purpose that I will be yielding 5 gallons. My question, since I am a gallon short, would I be safe to use 4oz of that priming sugar? I haven’t had a bottle bomb (two batches so far in my career lol) and I don’t want to start now. I know there are calculators for this, but I am kind of an idiot and can’t understand how to use it.
It has fermented between 64-66 degrees, and right now it is currently sitting at 69 degrees and it should stay that way until tomorrow morning when I bottle.
Thank you in advance, you guys on this forum are great and an excellent resource!

here is the recipe link:
https://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/k99-0076.pdf

Plug your actual FG, (not the recipe FG) into a priming sugar calculator like this one

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
For temp, I'd probably use the 69°F you say it's been at currently. I like a lot of carbonation so I plan for 3.0 vols. But for your first dealing with this you might not want to go that high. Maybe 2.5 or so unless you prefer lower levels or carbonation.

Hopefully the kit tells you what kind of sugar they provided. But even just guessing you'll be fine if your FG is your actual FG when you prime it.

Take note that the calculator asks for the amount being packaged. That will be something less that what is in the fermenter. Check your previous batches to see how much you lose to trub.

And I think there was an error in hotbeer's post - the calculator doesn't ask for FG.

Back