Priming questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astacey1403

Reaction score
Hey every one had a few questions about priming and conditioning.

I have been reading a lot of off flavor concerns and bottle bombs after priming and bottling, and a few of witch have been from Northern Brewer.

My first batch that will be done with 2 weeks primary this Saturday is the Block Party Ale [amber ale] that came with the NB kit I purchased. There instructions for priming is 2/3 cup corn sugar with 16 oz of water. Is this to much? Are there any ways to have more control with traditional priming? Any calculators online?

Thanks for the time

Yes, you can use one of several online calculators... Easy peasy. Check gravity to be sure fermentation is done.

Yes, check the gravity to see if it matches or is close to what was predicted. Then a couple days later check it again. If the readings match it is ready to bottle. The use of a priming calculator is encouraged but just following the kit instructions won't get you a bottle bomb. Make sure the sugar is well dispersed in the bottling bucket by laying your siphon exit on the bottom of the bucket to form a swirl and then possibly using a sanitized spoon to gently stir.

This is the priming calculator I use. The beer temp is the highest temp the beer has been since that temp controls how much CO2 remains dissolved in the beer. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

For 5 gallon batches I've always used 3/4 cup of corn sugar, or 2/3 cup of table sugar. It's always worked well. Might try that calculator next time, though.

Get yourself a scale. They are cheep and are more accurate than measuring by volume. Plus you can use it to weigh grains and hops.

I got a food scale and have used it quite a bit so far. Definitely a handy tool when it comes to any type of brewing. One other thing I hadn't mentioned earlier, will priming sugar cause any off flavors? Is there any one sugar better suited for priming then the others?

Sorry I could go on for hours and hours, again thanks for your time guys

I got a food scale and have used it quite a bit so far. Definitely a handy tool when it comes to any type of brewing. One other thing I hadn't mentioned earlier, will priming sugar cause any off flavors? Is there any one sugar better suited for priming then the others?

Corn sugar wont cause any off flavors. Also, remember your using a pretty small amount. Now I imagine if you were using honey or maple syrup or something like that you might pick something up, but doubt it. I've always used corn sugar, used the calculators based on the style, and never had a problem. I've also used the fizz drops for when I do 1 gallon batches.

There are many sugars that you can use for priming. With dextrose (corn sugar) or cane sugar (table sugar) you should not expect any off flavors.

I am not sure about the effects of using something like molasses or honey, etc. for priming.

The flavor of the beer between bottling day and fully conditioned may change a lot though. Usually for the better.

Back