Primary Fermentation in aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got lazy yesterday and decided to try this. After the boil and cooling, I transfered into another older aluminum boil kettle (turkey fryer), to move back into the house so I could settle and then transfer into glass. I decided to just dump the yeast into the kettle and cover with tin foil and secure it. Is there anything that might happen with this? And this will be transfered out in a few days to a secondary for added fruit and ageing.

It is a wheat beer, Jamil's Appricot wheat, OG a little lower 1.042. Going to rack onto pinapple puree in a glass carbouy in 5 days and let it go after that until done.

Haven't tried myself, but aluminum is slightly reactive with acids, and wort is usually slightly acid. If the bits of the kettle in contact with the liquid are shinier, you may have gotten a little aluminum dissolved, which might impart a little taste. I doubt the levels involved would pose any hazard.

This is my old boil kettle that has been prepared before, and has about 5 boils gone through it already, so there is an oxidation layer built up. And I don't think I'm going to have it in there long enough to draw off any flavours. Just thought I would ask incase there is an immediate problem with this.

I'd think you're fine. Now, if you were storing Coca-Cola in there (pH 2.7!) I wouldn't drink it afterwards--if the container was still around after a few days!

No, aluminum won't cause a problem, just like it doesn't
cause a problem with coke in aluminum cans. If your
tongue touches metal, like it does when you drink from
a can, you get a metallic taste, when you pour it out
of the can into the glass, there is no metallic taste.

Ray

I'm just wondering how you are securing the aluminum foil? Is it basically open fermentation with something to prevent stuff from falling in?

No, aluminum won't cause a problem, just like it doesn't
cause a problem with coke in aluminum cans. If your
tongue touches metal, like it does when you drink from
a can, you get a metallic taste, when you pour it out
of the can into the glass, there is no metallic taste.

Ray

I though Al cans had a liner in them to prevent the liquid actually touching the metal. I saw a video once where they disolved the metal in an acid bath and the beer inside stayed in its little plastic bag.

I'm just wondering how you are securing the aluminum foil? Is it basically open fermentation with something to prevent stuff from falling in?

Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Two pieces of foil, overlapping by about 5 inches or more, lots drapped over the edges, and electrical tape to secure. If anything does get in, it has to work its way under the foil, drag itself 5 inches sideways, and then jump in, while fighting the flow of CO2 coming back at it.

I'm not worried that much about contaminating it. As said it is basically open fermentation with a cover, and that has been done forever. My worry is any reaction with the aluminum. I'm pulling out of there tomorrow night and racking ontop of pineapple puree in a glass carbouy, so we will see shortly.

Beer needs it,trust me. I remember the old days when canned beer hadn't been out that long. It ate at the steel can,& you could taste it. aluminum is no better. That's why they have tried wax,lacquer,plastic...or some combination thereof. It's shown/discussed in one of those "history of beer" videos on youboob.

But...but...Keystone comes in a specially lined can to preserve the flavor!!!

945098.jpg

Back