prep for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undone

Reaction score
I cleaned my bottles and caps, now I know I should sanitize them before bottling the brew,

I have some Star San so do I use that? I am going to use the sink so what is the recommended solution for less than five gallons?

On bottling day I use my kitchen range to heat water to do the priming sugar mix. When I dump that into the bottling bucket I put more water in the pan, dump in the caps and bring it to a boil to sanitize them and let them stay in there to cool. By the time I have some bottles filled and ready to cap the water has cooled enough to reach in a pick out the caps.

I mix 2.5 gallons of star san on each brew/bottle day in my spare fermenter. pop the caps and all other accesories into it to sanitize.

I mix a gallon of water in a 1G Sunny-D jug with starsan measured 3/4's of the way up to the 1/4oz mark. That's enough for one gallon. Has worked perfectly do far.

I take apart my bottling bucket spigot, clean it, and re-install it. Then I fill my bottling bucket with 1 gallon of more water than I have beer to bottle. Next, I add the scaled amount of Star San to the water in the bottling bucket and stir it all up. Then I start filling my bottles with the Star San solution to sanitize them. Lastly, I dump the Star San out, fill the bottle with beer, and cap em' with a sanitized cap.

It takes me a while, but I don't have a bottling tree or vinerator yet.

Latest posts

Back