premature smack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
well i was getting everything ready to do a session tonight and i smacked my yeast pack to get it ready for later tonight but now i can't brewtill atleast tomorrow night.so my question is how long is the yeast good for now and are there any ways i can salvage the pack or do i just have to go buy a new one tomorrow?

It's fine, some people smack a couple days in advance. But since your not brewing right away I would take this opportunity to actually engage in a good brewing practice and make a starter.

should i leave it outside of the fridge or should i put it back in there till tomorrow?

thanks for the info guys!!! if for some reason i can't brew tomorrow how long you figure the yeast will still be good for?

Refrigerated and unopened, it will be good until the date on the package.

Edit: And if you are going to keep it too long, make the starter that Revvy suggested.

It's going to be good for as long as you need it to be....If it becomes more than a couple days, then just stick it in the fridge...BUT then for SURE you should make a starter for it before you use it, because the cold will make the yeast dormant. And a starter will wake the yeast up.

You really should make a starter for all beers above 1.030 OG that you are using liquid yeast for. Or else you are underpitching...

Back