Power Outage in the middle of Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
Was in the middle of reaching boil temp and the damn power went out. It's pretty windy here. Worst case scenario, I have to let it sit in the pot over night with the lid on and can't finish it till tomorrow night. The boil should kill all bacteria formed over night, right?

It was probably 180-190. The power did come back on about an hour and a half later and I did complete the boil. It's in the fermentation chamber now.

Was in the middle of reaching boil temp and the damn power went out. It's pretty windy here. Worst case scenario, I have to let it sit in the pot over night with the lid on and can't finish it till tomorrow night. The boil should kill all bacteria formed over night, right?

140 and above should be able to pasteurize your wort with higher temperatures taking less time. At a boil it is nearly instantaneous. Your mash should have pasteurized the wort, heating it further adds insurance. Putting a lid on keeps nearly all the bacteria out.

Latest posts

Back