Possible to completely ferment in 24 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Showdown

Reaction score
Tons of activity in the first 24 hours, but now - no CO2 release. Not a single bubble. Thoughts? Hurricane IPA kit, temps were a little high, around 76F. 5gal batch.

What yeast was it? I've had primary finish within a day or two before.

it may look done but it surely isn't. i'd let it ride for at least 2 weeks to let the yeast finish up. 76 is hot though. is that ambient? if so, it could be 5-6 more inside and out of range of a lot of ale yeasts.

Are you fermenting in a bucket or a carboy? If you're fermenting in a bucket, I bet the seal around the lid isn't tight anymore and I wouldn't worry about it at all. As many folks on this forum will tell you, airlocks aren't a very good indicator of fermentation.

Best of luck!

At 76 degrees, it's likely that a fermentation happened overnight. That's really too warm, and it will sometimes be an explosive fermentation.

Not much you can do now, except for wait for it to clear a bit before dryhopping or bottling.

Yeah, 76 degrees is a little warm. No matter what the instructions that came with your kit say, leave it in the primary for a while (2 weeks min). This will give the yeast time to clean up any off-flavors that may have been produced. I'm sure everything will be fine, but give the yeast plenty of time to do its thing.

Fermenting in a bucket, lid is on tight. I don't use an airlock, just tube out into sterilized water. When I push down a little on the lid, CO2 comes out. I've done this a couple of times since the original post to see if I could check the water level in the tube (to see if it was the same). Water level always dropped out of the tube, so it must be still making gas. Just went from super active to zero bubbles, but I guess temp had a lot to do with it. Recipe says to rack to secondary after 5 days, but I think I'll wait the extra week like everyone suggested.

Yeah definitely wait, but it sounds like everything is fine. I'm sure it'll turn out great.

I've had a recipe reach FG in ~2 days... More like 1 day if you don't count the lag phase. I believe I had a half gallon starter though (OG 1.083)

It's prob if not most def done its Primary fermentation at those temps but still give the yeast time to clean up. I check gravity at 10 days then 14 and that may b real conservative but its worth the wait to know the yeast have had time to clean up and settle especially if it was a big 1.070 or greater beer. Time is on your side so what's done is done as far as the yeast and any off flavors are concerned if that's going to happen. Just give them I nice long time to clean up And check your gravity at day 10 and you'll b surprised it's prob right where you need if if not prob lower at those temps. Either way you'll have a nice hb to drink in the end and don't rack to secondary its a useless tactic just dry hop in primary, it saves time, energy, and the beer will b fine.

Water level always dropped out of the tube, so it must be still making gas.

I might be wrong but I think that actually means you do have a leak. In a sealed container, if it did not bubble and the water dropped out of the tube, air is coming in from somewhere else to allow for that to happen.

It's most likely not done. But if your that concerned get a hydrometer, check the gravity, read it and try the sample. I would leave it for a couple weeks though and next time fermentation lower temps.

Back