Possible Infection? (you love these threads, right?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorta hard to say definitively, but it looks fine to me. RDWHAHB.

I would bet that what is on top is just the remnants from the krausen. Usually infected beers will develop a powdery-white pellicle that covers the whole surface of the beer. When moved, they break up into separate, angular pieces with lots of white, floaty bits.

I would bet that what is on top is just the remnants from the krausen. Usually infected beers will develop a powdery-white pellicle that covers the whole surface of the beer. When moved, they break up into separate, angular pieces with lots of white, floaty bits.

yeah, still smells fine, and still planning to rack it, just want to set expectations...

You could be right, but I have neeeever had a krausen look nasty like that. And he said it has been at least a month. I mean that looks horrible lol. I'm all for racking out from under it, but my god does it look disgusting.

I have a carboy with a batch of chocolate stout a week into primary that I'm pretty sure looks like that pic - only dark brown. It always looks like a moon scape but I've never had an infected batch...

Cheers!

There's nothing wrong with that krausen, and there's nothing wrong with that beer. If it was a pale ale I'd be suspicious, but its a stout. They can look like that.

Back