Infection or Dying Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameb17

Reaction score
This is the top of my fermenter after 14 days in primary. I am worried that the dark spots on the yeast line is evidence of infection? It almost looks like black mould but as this was most likely at the top of the krausen it probably didnt have much contact with the beer. What do you guys think?
IMG_3324.jpeg

I'll go with yeast and crud. The black stuff I don't know. I doesn't appear to have gotten a good hold before you emptied the FV.

You aren't going to change anything if it is infection. Just sample the beer and see if it tastes good or not. Or dump it.

While black moldy looking stuff might be really bad, that doesn't look like much. If it were all over everything then I'd be a little more concerned. At worst you might get a case of the runs. If so, toss the rest.

Last edited:
I don't think that's (black) mold around that top edge of the krausen line.
I've only seen them on Stainless steel, maybe the metal reacts or catalyzes a reaction with the krausen/yeast deposits and turns it black?

I'll go with yeast and crud. The black stuff I don't know. I doesn't appear to have gotten a good hold before you emptied the FV.

You aren't going to change anything if it is infection. Just sample the beer and see if it tastes good or not. Or dump it.

While black moldy looking stuff might be really bad, that doesn't look like much. If it were all over everything then I'd be a little more concerned. At worst you might get a case of the runs. If so, toss the rest.
Thank you 🙏🏼… it tastes like flat green beer to me tbh. I’m going to let it condition in some bottles and force carbonating some so will see how it is in a few days. Im not overly concerned but was wondering if anyone else had seen something like this before.

I don't think that's (black) mold around that top edge of the krausen line.
I've only seen them on Stainless steel, maybe the metal reacts or catalyzes a reaction with the krausen/yeast deposits and turns it black?
Awesome thank you. You’ve put to rest my fear. Do you use stainless steel fermenters?

Awesome thank you. You’ve put to rest my fear. Do you use stainless steel fermenters?
I use one occasionally, a Blichmann conical, old model.

Have you ever passivated your stainless fermenter with citric acid? If not, that could help build up or restore the oxide layer that protects the stainless making it truly stain-less.

I use one occasionally, a Blichmann conical, old model.

Have you ever passivated your stainless fermenter with citric acid? If not, that could help build up or restore the oxide layer that protects the stainless making it truly stain-less.
I once used a metal scourer to clean the inside of this vessel. That was dumb, lesson learned. But rescued it by passivating with citric acid.
Sweet little trick. Wasnt ready to fork out more money in a new metal fermenter

Back