Portland, ME Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drank a growler of it last night. You should do the same!

don't actually do it, I feel terrible this morning
Considering I'm spending a few days working virtually from a house my gf's parents rented in Maine next week... I might need to take down a growler one night

actually not going to happen; will be working nonstop... these people couldn't have picked a worse week to force me to go away

Do I goto Rising Tide over some of the breweries out by Allagash? Planning to drive up early Saturday, get to Allagash first then head to some of the others when they open at noon/1pm. The answer to this question probably depends on who has what on tap this weekend...

Considering I'm spending a few days working virtually from a house my gf's parents rented in Maine next week... I might need to take down a growler one night

actually not going to happen; will be working nonstop... these people couldn't have picked a worse week to force me to go away

Do I goto Rising Tide over some of the breweries out by Allagash? Planning to drive up early Saturday, get to Allagash first then head to some of the others when they open at noon/1pm. The answer to this question probably depends on who has what on tap this weekend...
Rising Tide is open the latest (till 7) and will likely be the least busiest, so you should be ok to go there last. Plus it's basically in town, where as Allagash/Austin St/Foundation/Bissell are ~10-15min outside of town.

Typed that out and realized it didn't answer your question. Um... Cutter and Gose are good, but if you're pressed for time I'd just stick with Industrial Way

I'm going to agree with Brez07 here, if it's either or, just do the 4 Industrial Way breweries, especially if you're already going to Gash. Rising Tide is not particularly close. If you want to kill a lot of birds at once, and have time, do all 4 industrial way breweries, plus Rising Tide, Urban Farm Fermentory, Bunker Brewing, and Maine Craft Distilling - those 4 are all close to each other.

And yeah, Calcutta Cutter is good, I'd definitely grab some if it's easy, but not a beer to drive around looking for IMO.

Hope you clowns have fun at Novare on Saturday. Unfortunately I'll be traveling to VA that weekend so won't be around town. Somebody post a pic of the draft list/bottle menu when you get a chance. Last year it was fine but just a tiny bit disappointing, knowing the hoard of Loons they have in the cellar at that place.

Hope you clowns have fun at Novare on Saturday. Unfortunately I'll be traveling to VA that weekend so won't be around town. Somebody post a pic of the draft list/bottle menu when you get a chance. Last year it was fine but just a tiny bit disappointing, knowing the hoard of Loons they have in the cellar at that place.
Making it to The Birch Saturday?

Oxbow filled their new coolship tonight for the first time. Hell yes.

http://instagram.com

To be really pedantic, this is the first fully spontaneous beer - they posted some shot a week ago of the coolship filled up with a metric assload of wet hops floating in the wort. No idea what the hell kind of beer that's going to be but I want it.

EDIT: Hm, ok, now that I look at it again (and actually read the caption), sounds like they were just using it as a really, really improvised hopback. Which is kind of cool.

Etoile has got some major bottle variation. Some gush, some don't. Some are over-carbed, some under-carbed. Some taste good/average, some taste awesome. Haven't opened one in a couple months though so not sure if the random issues have cleared up.

I've opened two La Grisetas so far and both gushed a bit on me.

That said, La Griseta is suuuuper delicious. Absolutely love that bottle.

Assuming they still had some LG left at GFTW? Sadly had some last minute personal stuff come up unexpectedly and couldn't make the event this year, but heading up this Friday and will be stocking up on Griseta if it's still there.

Etoile has got some major bottle variation. Some gush, some don't. Some are over-carbed, some under-carbed. Some taste good/average, some taste awesome. Haven't opened one in a couple months though so not sure if the random issues have cleared up.

I've opened two La Grisetas so far and both gushed a bit on me.

That said, La Griseta is suuuuper delicious. Absolutely love that bottle.

Assuming they still had some LG left at GFTW? Sadly had some last minute personal stuff come up unexpectedly and couldn't make the event this year, but heading up this Friday and will be stocking up on Griseta if it's still there.

They did, no limit, and price down to $12 (it was $13 originally, right?). I only bought three... Seriously should have bought a whole case.

Sweet! That's cool about the price. Yeah, was $13. It should have been $10 from the start though...

Agree... I would have bought more at 10. But I honestly think I might like it more than Clara, which was previously my favorite grisette ever, so, whatever.

I do like the sounds of that! I'm hoping my schedule in the next couple months opens up. I'd love to make another weekend trip up to Portland

Thinking of driving up to Portland tomorrow morning to check out the scene, if anyone is interested in meeting up for a beer... somewhere? Let me know. I don't really have any concrete plans, so suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like Oxbow Blending and Bottling opens up to the public tomorrow. Anyone know what Continental is? Saw it was on tap there last night for the soft open.

Nevermind, found out Continental is a 5% table beer.

Open now. Not sure what bottles are there. Arboreal sell out?

5% table beer? Sounds great. Oxbow kills that kinda stuff. There were photos from tuesday with bottles of arboreal in them, but i don't know if it's actually for sale.

Curious to see how well stocked they can keep the Portland location with bottles..

Nevermind, found out Continental is a 5% table beer.

Open now. Not sure what bottles are there. Arboreal sell out?

http://maine.eater.com/2014/11/7/71...r-blending-bottling-tim-adams-quotes-portland

One is called Continental. That's a 5% ABV blond ale that's brewed with entirely European hops. The sister to that beer is called the Domestic, which is basically the exact same beer but with all American hops. We're providing people with those two options and we're also hoping to bring some education into what the difference is between American and European hops. A lot of people don't know, but in my opinion that should be a piece of beer knowledge people have. It's one of the biggest differentiators in terms of flavor profiles.

We're going to have the Continental and the Domestic as our house beers down here

Sounds cool!

Back