Portland, ME Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad Maine Beer Co finally figured out that they shouldn't be doing samples, draught pours, and flights at the same time as releasing bottles to 300+ people in a 30'x30' tasting room. This release it will be strictly buy your bottles and head out. Hopefully won't take 2 hours to move 100 yards in line this time...

See anyone at Oxbow Blending Friday night? Think I will be driving up after work to get some of that sweet nectar... Wonder how crazy this is going to be given that it's the first real "thing" at the new space, right?

See anyone at Oxbow Blending Friday night? Think I will be driving up after work to get some of that sweet nectar... Wonder how crazy this is going to be given that it's the first real "thing" at the new space, right?

I'll prob swing by at lunch to grab bottles specifically to avoid a crowd, not sure if I'll be back that night since I am being an idiot and planning to get up early for Dinner. I don't imagine it would be too crazy based simply on their location. Kind of off the path for the First Friday Art Walk crowd. I haven't been on a Fri or Sat night at all yet though, so can't really say. The Infinite Darkness Black Friday event was crowded (all tables full) but not crazy.

I personally kind of like how the location seems to keep it from turning into another over-crowded downtown spot. Novare on a Fri/Sat I can't even...

Last edited:
I'll be swinging up tomorrow. I'm hoping the Alchemist truck sale and Fiddlehead Second Fiddle released take some of the sting out of the Dinner release. Not serving samplers and pints should help too. Probably going to hit up Bissell and Allagash afterwards. Should be fun.

Small part of Team Boston banged out Portland yesterday. I love the Oxbow space. Also enjoyed the maple syrup brown ale at Rising Tide more than I expected. Had a truly, truly terrible Infinit'i "sour" at Novare ("The Killing") - although it looked beautiful. Did not particularly like the new Bissell Bros beer either, although Munjoi was pretty good!

And had some at least interesting beers at Hidden Cove on the way home - nothing was really great, but a lot of interesting concepts. Not sure that I think they're definitely going to go great places, but there is some potential, at least!

Small part of Team Boston banged out Portland yesterday. I love the Oxbow space. Also enjoyed the maple syrup brown ale at Rising Tide more than I expected. Had a truly, truly terrible Infinit'i "sour" at Novare ("The Killing") - although it looked beautiful. Did not particularly like the new Bissell Bros beer either, although Munjoi was pretty good!

And had some at least interesting beers at Hidden Cove on the way home - nothing was really great, but a lot of interesting concepts. Not sure that I think they're definitely going to go great places, but there is some potential, at least!

I also had "The Killing" and didn't find it to be any good. Wasn't big on Bissell Angels with Filthy souls either despite having an awesome name. The substance and Munjoi were nice though. I also stopped by Allagash, Austin Street (Nice pale ale and milk stout, and bought the wild saison), and Foundation (nice lineup of pretty good beers). All worth the visit if in the area.

Dinner release seemed to go off without any issues other than there being way more people than beer. This batch is awesome. Great time can't wait to head back. Got my hands on the Alchemist beers for some dinner as well. Good weekend overall.

I also had "The Killing" and didn't find it to be any good. Wasn't big on Bissell Angels with Filthy souls either despite having an awesome name. The substance and Munjoi were nice though. I also stopped by Allagash, Austin Street (Nice pale ale and milk stout, and bought the wild saison), and Foundation (nice lineup of pretty good beers). All worth the visit if in the area.

Dinner release seemed to go off without any issues other than there being way more people than beer. This batch is awesome. Great time can't wait to head back. Got my hands on the Alchemist beers for some dinner as well. Good weekend overall.

That Austin St. pale is pretty good. I had it really really fresh the first time I had it (Jake said it was like 15 minutes after he had kegged it) and I thought it was one of the best pale ales I've ever had, up there with HF stuff, but I have realized that it seemed to be a totally freshness driven thing. The past couple of times I've had it it's been quite good but nothing like that first time.

Ah, tehzachatak I'm friends with you on Untappd. We discussed Hidden Cove briefly though comments. There's another brewery in Wells, Post Road Tavern, although I think they've got a ways to go to even get to where Hidden Cove is.

I'm really overdue for a Portland trip. I had to double check. Haven't gone since the August batch of Dinner came out. Did Foundation, Bissell and Slab too.

Ah, tehzachatak I'm friends with you on Untappd. We discussed Hidden Cove briefly though comments. There's another brewery in Wells, Post Road Tavern, although I think they've got a ways to go to even get to where Hidden Cove is.

I'm really overdue for a Portland trip. I had to double check. Haven't gone since the August batch of Dinner came out. Did Foundation, Bissell and Slab too.

There's so many in southern Maine now. I've hit a ton of them and still have many to go... Haven't had anything from SoMe or Tributary, had beers from Gneiss, Banded Horn, and Funky Bow but haven't visited any of them.

There's so many in southern Maine now. I've hit a ton of them and still have many to go... Haven't had anything from SoMe or Tributary, had beers from Gneiss, Banded Horn, and Funky Bow but haven't visited any of them.

There's not enough time in one day to hit all the breweries in Portland area. What was the tally from yesterday tehzachatak and ShawDeuce22

Bier Cellar
Rising Tide
Bunker Hill
Maine Mead Works
Oxbow (AWESOME SPOT)
Novare (yeah I know not a brewery)
Allagash
Austin St.
Foundation
Bissell Bros
Fire N Brews - "JIMMY WITH THE HAMBURGER!"

Not bad, but we could have pushed harder...only if some ******* didn't fall asleep in the back of the car...what a dink.

Not going to be a popular opinion because #todmott but I had Tributary PA this weekend and thought is sucked. Waiting for more tastes to really pass judgement on the brewery as a whole.

I did the Earth Eagle/Tributary thing the day after Thanksgiving. Worth checking out Anju Noodle Bar, MEat, and Black Birch if you're in Kittery. Nothing at Tributary blew me away though. Might pop in again whenever he drops that imperial stout though.

Anybody else going tomorrow? Never been, but I'll be there! I'd assume Noavare doesn't **** around when it comes to events like this...
B4qyf40CIAAcKfX.jpg

Hey do any of you portland peeps have any info on an Oxbow event this Sunday? They teased it on Instagram a week or so ago but then there's been litreally zero additional info.

Hey do any of you portland peeps have any info on an Oxbow event this Sunday? They teased it on Instagram a week or so ago but then there's been litreally zero additional info.

If you follow the Portland spot on IG, they posted some stuff there. The comments on the IG post has more info (click the pic below). Xmas Swords is the most exciting thing imo.

If you follow the Portland spot on IG, they posted some stuff there. The comments on the IG post has more info (click the pic below). Xmas Swords is the most exciting thing imo.

Did not realize they had a separate account. Thanks.

No I mean like available bottles from them.

Gotcha. They do sell bottles there when new releases come out but they don't always have stuff available. Bottles have been pretty infrequent since opening. I thought they were planning to have on-premise bottles too but that hasn't really panned out since the first couple weeks open. I wouldn't expect bottles at this point unless there is a specific release happening.

Back