Portland, ME Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guide was an amazing help. Might be helpful to add that most places are closed on Mondays if I didn't miss that in the above info.

Wish I had more time in Novare Res, but we bolted to make Pai Men Miyake before our flight. That food was amazing, I'd go back just for their ramen. Duckfat was also tasty, dipping the poutine in their salted caramel sauce for the donut holes was a great idea.

Ebenezer's was nice, but a haul of a drive.

Infinity Distilling vodka is tasty if you like anise / black liquorice.

I'm more excited by the fact that there are now 3 active Mainers on TB.

Movin' up in the world!

But yes, Slab looks dope. A little heavy on the crust from some photos I've seen though, I don't need 35-40% of my slice to be giant crust.

I'm like 5% Mainer!!! Hopefully fulltime again sometime in the next half decade...

Rising Tide's Maine Island Trail Ale is soooo good. Just about a perfect light, citrusy and refreshing pale ale for the summer (in a can too!). Wish I would have bought more when I visiting.

Urban Farm Fermentory's Mosaic Kombucha was ridiculously good too.

I see Bissell bros is canning the substance tomorrow and selling at the brewery as well. Any shot itll be around on Sunday in the Portland area? Making the trip up this weekend and would love to try it

I see Bissell bros is canning the substance tomorrow and selling at the brewery as well. Any shot itll be around on Sunday in the Portland area? Making the trip up this weekend and would love to try it

Sunday might be pushing it for cans at most stores, you could possibly find a few stragglers at RSVP. It is on draught all over town though and shouldn't be that hard to find if you're just looking to try it. If you will be up Friday you can reserve some cans through the Bier Cellar website tomorrow but I believe the holds are only good for 24 hours.

Rising Tide's Maine Island Trail Ale is soooo good. Just about a perfect light, citrusy and refreshing pale ale for the summer (in a can too!). Wish I would have bought more when I visiting.

I was incredibly impressed by this beer as well. I have been drinking Rising Tide since commercial batch #1 and while I have enjoyed their stuff, I would not have ever held them up as an example of completely flawless brewing, but that stuff is so, so clean...

Sunday might be pushing it for cans at most stores, you could possibly find a few stragglers at RSVP. It is on draught all over town though and shouldn't be that hard to find if you're just looking to try it. If you will be up Friday you can reserve some cans through the Bier Cellar website tomorrow but I believe the holds are only good for 24 hours.
Thanks for the info. I was looking to at least try it on draft and possibly bring some cans home with me. I will give bier cellar a call tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me.

Thanks for the info. I was looking to at least try it on draft and possibly bring some cans home with me. I will give bier cellar a call tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me.

Good luck, and if you don't score any I'd happily send you a couple 4-packs for some NEBCO stuff when the next round of cans hit.

Just paid for my allotment at bier cellar to pick up Sunday, awesome!

I'm more excited by the fact that there are now 3 active Mainers on TB.

Movin' up in the world!

But yes, Slab looks dope. A little heavy on the crust from some photos I've seen though, I don't need 35-40% of my slice to be giant crust.
Went to Slab last night. Yeah the crust is pretty big (my "hand slab" probably had about 4" of it) but it's ****ing delicious. For me, already second best pizza in town behind Ottos. Also, tap list is legit. Substance Diavoleeto is HHHHHHHNNNGGGG.

What is this slab place like? Hard to find much info about it. Only gonna be there this Sunday and part of Monday, with the gf so trying to narrow down the places to hit

Went to Slab last night. Yeah the crust is pretty big (my "hand slab" probably had about 4" of it) but it's ****ing delicious. For me, already second best pizza in town behind Ottos. Also, tap list is legit. Substance Diavoleeto is HHHHHHHNNNGGGG.

Right on, I'll probably make it over there next week. Have not tried the Diavoleeto yet, hope it lasts (probably won't). This really is a golden age for the Portland food and drink scene we are living in, it's awesome.

Right on, I'll probably make it over there next week. Have not tried the Diavoleeto yet, hope it lasts (probably won't). This really is a golden age for the Portland food and drink scene we are living in, it's awesome.
Pretty sure they have multiple kegs of it as when I went to order my second, they said it would take a minute due to keg change. Seems like the industry folk did some damage on Monday haha

Edit: Just realized I called it Substance Diavoleeto. Whooooops.

What is this slab place like? Hard to find much info about it. Only gonna be there this Sunday and part of Monday, with the gf so trying to narrow down the places to hit

Between here and BA you will find plenty of info on places to hit here in Portland. Personally, I wouldn't include Slab on my list of places to eat. But some of the collab brews they did with local brewers are potentially worth a pour.

What's on your list so far?
Driving up from Hampton Sunday, gotta pick up my Substance cans first off at Bier Cellar. Then probably stop somewhere for lunch (maybe Nosh? or duckfat) Then walk around the downtown area near the water. The gf isnt huge into beer, so just trying to mix in some places to eat with good beer and then check out allagash on Monday before we leave. So trying to do some non beer related things as well. First time in Portland so im open to any advice from the locals

Driving up from Hampton Sunday, gotta pick up my Substance cans first off at Bier Cellar. Then probably stop somewhere for lunch (maybe Nosh? or duckfat) Then walk around the downtown area near the water. The gf isnt huge into beer, so just trying to mix in some places to eat with good beer and then check out allagash on Monday before we leave. So trying to do some non beer related things as well. First time in Portland so im open to any advice from the locals

Nosh and Duckfat are both delish. Duckfat will probably have a bit of a wait at lunchtime but nothing too crazy. Nosh has massive portions so plan to split some stuff or be in a food coma for the following couple hours. If you do Nosh be sure to get the bacon dusted fries. Allagash is releasing Neddles on Monday if you weren't aware so if you want to avoid a rush go later in the afternoon (they open at 10), also you need to reserve your free spots on the tour in advance through the website if you're planning to do the tour (which is really cool, and a free flight!). Have fun!

Last edited:
Non-beer centric places that still have a good tap list would be Duckfat, Nosh, Little Tap House, Pei Men Miyake, LFK, Outliers. Probably missing a few but probably enough since you're only in town 1 night haha

Awesome guys, thanks for the advice. Will most likely do a lighter lunch with some beers and then walk around downtown area then check out one of the other recommended places for dinner and drinks. Will def make the reservation for the tour, as Allagash was the main one I wanted to check out. Hopefully be able to grab some bottles of the release as well.

Pai mien. Great food, decent tap list and cool Asian spins on classic cocktails.
sf8qBJd.jpg

Pretty much no line for Neddles this morning, a few people waiting to pay around 10:15. Most were buying just a couple bottles even with the no limit. $15 each, buy 6 and you get a free black cloth 6-bottle Allagash tote to carry them in which is a pretty cool gesture on their part. Was told about 1200 bottles total so this one should stick around for a bit. Cracking one tonight, should be interesting.

Awesome guys, thanks for the advice. Will most likely do a lighter lunch with some beers and then walk around downtown area then check out one of the other recommended places for dinner and drinks. Will def make the reservation for the tour, as Allagash was the main one I wanted to check out. Hopefully be able to grab some bottles of the release as well.
Crap should have posted this earlier... chaggy5 - Bring some extra Needles bottles back to CT!

Will buy you one of those big ass Jake's burgers as a thank you ;)

Pretty much no line for Neddles this morning, a few people waiting to pay around 10:15. Most were buying just a couple bottles even with the no limit. $15 each, buy 6 and you get a free black cloth 6-bottle Allagash tote to carry them in which is a pretty cool gesture on their part. Was told about 1200 bottles total so this one should stick around for a bit. Cracking one tonight, should be interesting.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am generally not a bourbon barrel sour fan and while I've never had a rum barrel sour, I would imagine my feelings about them would be similar, but on the other hand, its an Allagash 375 for me to tick...

Just heard about 300 bottles left, they are moving fast! May not stick around long after all. Also there appears to be a 2-case (12 bottle) limit which has been put in place later in the day.

Just heard about 300 bottles left, they are moving fast! May not stick around long after all. Also there appears to be a 2-case (12 bottle) limit which has been put in place later in the day.
I'd be curious as to why they switched from day-of notice to announcing releases ahead of time. Wouldn't think it's a storage thing but you never know...

Crap should have posted this earlier... chaggy5 - Bring some extra Needles bottles back to CT!

Will buy you one of those big ass Jake's burgers as a thank you ;)
Got 6 myself, should have a couple left over I will let you know. It is really good by the way, got to try it on draft. Hope the bottles are just as good

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am generally not a bourbon barrel sour fan and while I've never had a rum barrel sour, I would imagine my feelings about them would be similar, but on the other hand, its an Allagash 375 for me to tick...

So I really enjoyed Neddles. It's got a really solid oud bruin base, musty oak was the predominant element for me, very very woody, but I like that type of thing. The rum adds a nice balanced fruity spice accent, without being overpowering or tasting like cheap booze. Sourness level is about a 6-6.5, good balanced acidity. Has a little bit of the classic Allagash "damp basement" funk that all their non-Coolship sours of late have had. Overall another nice offering.

Are the coolship beers released roughly annually? And how much is generally produced?

Are the coolship beers released roughly annually? And how much is generally produced?

Recently there have been.. I dunno, 4 or 5 releases per year? Last year I think there was one release of Red, one or two releases of Resurgam, two releases of Cerise. Resurgam and Cerise bottles usually last for quite a while, Red not so much... Don't know about bottle counts though. For Resurgam at least, I assume at least 1000+ bottles per given the need to blend multiple barrels and how long they last at Allagash.

Thanks, Zach! If you have surplus Resurgam you should bring over a bottle to split, I'll crack something from sara or side project

I'll see what I can do. Don't think I have an extra Resurgam, but I might have a spare Red... have you had that?

No worries man, I just thought from that authoritative response you may have a stockpile of sorts. Red is the only one I've tried and it was very nice, but I don't care what you bring so long as there's pickles.

No worries man, I just thought from that authoritative response you may have a stockpile of sorts. Red is the only one I've tried and it was very nice, but I don't care what you bring so long as there's pickles.

I do... but I'm actually down to only 1 Resurgam and I still need to do my big horizontal of Allagash sours. Maybe can find another before next week!

I do... but I'm actually down to only 1 Resurgam and I still need to do my big horizontal of Allagash sours. Maybe can find another before next week!
Don't put yourself out, friend.

That said, if anyone reading this wants to trade a couple bottles for hf or loons, feel free to drop me a line.

Latest posts

Back