Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
^ Anything BAD with not keeping it on a charger?

The battery will use some juice depending on ambient temp keeping the pack from getting cold. Also the more you check in with the app, will keep the computer from going to sleep and will increase the drain. It's better for the battery to always keep it plugged in even if it's only 110v.

Why the no interest in using your home power?

But the trick is not to charge the battery to full since the last 30% takes twice as long as the first 70%. The car figures out the best places to stop and the optimal time to charge to take advantage of that. For instance, a trip I do regularly that used to take 10 hours (non stop) by gas car now takes me 11.5 hours (with charging) in my model S. But it comes out about the same either way since I never drove all the way without stopping for food or a break and that is when you charge. I just happen to have free charging but even if I didn't the cost would be about 1/3 that of gas. The absolute best part is the car does the driving. Basically you are just there as a systems monitor which means you can relax and take in the scenery and chill as opposed to always keeping it between the lines. It's amazing how much better you feel after long trips because of this.

I could never go back to a regular car.
Hey, @Bilsch. I assume you use a Power Wall for home charging. Since I'm buying my son's Prius Plus hybrid, I'm looking for a non-proprietary 240V wall unit (son only used 110V garage outlet). Any suggestions or "reviews?" Mostly interested in things to look for, brands to avoid, etc.

The battery will use some juice depending on ambient temp keeping the pack from getting cold. Also the more you check in with the app, will keep the computer from going to sleep and will increase the drain. It's better for the battery to always keep it plugged in even if it's only 110v.

Good to know about the app - thanks.

Why the no interest in using your home power?

Free SC for life, so why spend my own money?

Also, I am in a very old home with very old wiring that may or may not be able to support the electricity required. ...and my elec/gas bill is already like $300 a month (small home, too); the joys of living along the California coast : )

I wonder if the solution is to hook it up to your 110V and simply tell the car to maintain charge, rather than actually charge it? 110V is woefully slow if you're trying to add miles, but I'm sure maintaining charge would be reasonably inexpensive for your electric bill...

I tend to keep my gas/electric bills lower than that in my small CA home slightly removed from the coast... But that's because I try to never run AC or heat... I grew up in Chicago--I can handle the "cold" winters here without the heater!

Hey, @Bilsch. I assume you use a Power Wall for home charging. Since I'm buying my son's Prius Plus hybrid, I'm looking for a non-proprietary 240V wall unit (son only used 110V garage outlet). Any suggestions or "reviews?" Mostly interested in things to look for, brands to avoid, etc.

I think you might mean wall charger instead of powerwall? A powerwall is Tesla's home battery storage unit.

Since a Prius has fairly small batteries compared to Tesla and other EV's, you usually don't need anything high amperage to charge them. A regular 110v outlet will fully charge them in 4 hours. If that is not fast enough you can get a level 2 charger for your home that will cut that time in half but really it seems like more money then it's worth to me. I'm sorry I can't help with brands of level 2 chargers as I have no experience with those.

I think you might mean wall charger instead of powerwall? A powerwall is Tesla's home battery storage unit.

Since a Prius has fairly small batteries compared to Tesla and other EV's, you usually don't need anything high amperage to charge them. A regular 110v outlet will fully charge them in 4 hours. If that is not fast enough you can get a level 2 charger for your home that will cut that time in half but really it seems like more money then it's worth to me. I'm sorry I can't help with brands of level 2 chargers as I have no experience with those.
Understand. Just don't tell my wife. This is my excuse to get a 50 Amp circuit to the garage so I can power our RV when it's in the driveway. Plus I'll be able to power up my 240V boilpot in the garage for inclement weather brewing.

Free SC for life, so why spend my own money?

Also, I am in a very old home with very old wiring that may or may not be able to support the electricity required. ...and my elec/gas bill is already like $300 a month (small home, too); the joys of living along the California coast : )

Here is the thing though.. superchargers are designed to charge fast and that is not generally a good thing to do to your battery constantly. Besides that, Tesla has an algorithm that tracks how many battery cycles were done on a fast charge and when that number hits a certain level they will start to software limit the speed at which you can charge to save battery damage.

On the other hand most people do not even notice the increase in their electric bill from EV charging as it's typically so small as to be lost in the noise. Charging at home is cheap and better for your expensive to replace battery. Use the SC for road trips and charge you car at home.

As for the wiring in your home, you can set the car for what ever amperage you want to charge it at, from 1a to 40a when using a nema 14-50 outlet and the included charging cable. When plugged into 110v you can select from 1 to 12 amps. So no worries with old wiring.

Here is the thing though.. superchargers are designed to charge fast and that is not generally a good thing to do to your battery constantly. Besides that, Tesla has an algorithm that tracks how many battery cycles were done on a fast charge and when that number hits a certain level they will start to software limit the speed at which you can charge to save battery damage.

On the other hand most people do not even notice the increase in their electric bill from EV charging as it's typically so small as to be lost in the noise. Charging at home is cheap and better for your expensive to replace battery. Use the SC for road trips and charge you car at home.

As for the wiring in your home, you can set the car for what ever amperage you want to charge it at, from 1a to 40a when using a nema 14-50 outlet and the included charging cable. When plugged into 110v you can select from 1 to 12 amps. So no worries with old wiring.

Fair enough :)

How would an otherwise ignorant person know what to set the charging amperage to though?

How would an otherwise ignorant person know what to set the charging amperage to though?

Keep turning it up until you smell smoke then back off an amp or two.

But seriously.. a hair dryer draws more amperage from a 110v socket then a Tesla so if you haven't already burned down your house from everyday appliances.. I think you are probably good.

8kWh battery on our Prime added roughly $20/mo. Buddy in SoCal with a 2012 Leaf says it added roughly $40/mo to his bill with a 24kWh battery pack. I believe they pay slightly less than we do as well.

If I had a 85kWh battery the impact would be very noticeable without solar to offset the difference. Granted we pay some of the highest prices for electricity in the nation, but California also has the largest amount of electric vehicles sales. Off-peak hours are $.18366 kWh. Summer and winter peak prices are $0.49616 and $0.36905/kWh respectively.

Granted very few people drive far enough daily to fully charge the battery all the way, but it explains why the Superchargers are almost always busy in the Sacramento area. It's not uncommon to go shopping for an 45 minutes and come back to see the same person sitting in their car. This is especially true for cars like the Leaf and Kia's. Those people get alot of Netflix time.

Point being its noticeable and will become increasingly so in the future.

Still....THE TORQUE!!

If anyone's interested in cost, here's a PDF to PG&E's Time of use service for EV's

Still haven't transferred it...keep getting nervous every time I see this message!

Gonna have to pull off the band-aid soon!!
Screenshot_20210316-174231.png

Why did I break a sweat reading that?

Fingers crossed for you. Either way that car is a beauty.

Why did I break a sweat reading that?

Fingers crossed for you. Either way that car is a beauty.

I know, I know, I know. I wanna click it, but at the same time I really do NOT want to click it. If for some reason it does not carry over, the car loses significant value...I bought it with the understanding that the unlimited charging WILL carry over to me, and if it doesn't I have very little recourse. I could sue the previous owner, but other than that...not much else I could do.

There are many, many stories of people buying used from a third party dealer and/or from Tesla who strips the unlimited charging, but no stories that I can find where it is stripped when sold to private parties. With that said, still sh!tting bricks over here and haven't completed the transfer yet because of that.

@Bilsch Also, I forgot to add that I have no 'ground' in the house...old knob and tube. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I don't think I can connect to ungrounded 110v.

I know, I know...don't say it.

There are two Porsche Taycans that showed up in town recently. The one I see frequently appears to be the turbo S model and man does it look mean. Curious how they would do against a Model S plaid

www.slashgear.com/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-first-drive-review-electric-excellence-18603248/amp/

Beautiful piece of kit. 😍 I've always been a sucker for any Porsche that channels the classic '911' look.

From what I've read, the vehicles offer similar performance, other than range. In 2020 the Taycan didn't even crack the top 15 EVs in that metric, but most folks don't buy a Porsche for this reason. 😆

This discussion of increasing EVs on the road speaks to a bigger issue, at least here in the US (which was put in display in spectacular fashion last month during the Texas cold snap): bread and butter electrical infrastructure is in need of some serious refurbishment.

As an example: I harken from NW Iowa, which is one of the windiest places in the USA. We have scads of turbines running, most owned by the local utility. The area consistently generates more power than it can use, to the point where some turbines need to spin down because the local grid can't take the power, because you cannot spool the lone coal plant in the area up/down willy-nilly.

It's amazing how long electrical grid equipment can (and has) been running... decades without major upgrades. Alot of NIMBY and FUD in this arena is keeping it that way. Only disasters like the "land hurricane" we experienced this last summer gets basic infrastructure updated, and THAT was because the former infrastructure was basically blown down!

This mismatch could be solved by a 2-wire HVDC line running to eastern Iowa where the power could be more efficiently utilized in bigger cities, among other ideas.

Smart grids where folks have a real incentive to monitor their power use is also slow to take hold. With this vehicle-to-and-from-grid could be a possibility for many areas. There are of course privacy concerns to flesh out, as well as security against hacking, but I feel these problems are solvable.

My prediction: The nail in the coffin will be when the Ford F-150 electric truck is seen as a viable alternative to the ICE version. 😎
I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even though I don't have the need for one at this stage of my life. I've owned several pickups, all of 'em Fords. My Dad worked for a couple of decades at the Ford plant in Claycomo, MO, and we drove nothing but FMCs until I went away to college for a librul edgicashun and started drivin' furrin' cars like Volvo and Benz. Damn near broke my Dad's heart. So I also garaged an F-150 as homage to American ingenuity and utiliy. I'd still rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

So yeah, I'd buy one of them, just so I could have one. Well, THAT, as well as show up my son in his Dodge "Ram-inator."

Beautiful piece of kit. 😍 I've always been a sucker for any Porsche that channels the classic '911' look.

From what I've read, the vehicles offer similar performance, other than range. In 2020 the Taycan didn't even crack the top 15 EVs in that metric, but most folks don't buy a Porsche for this reason. 😆
I can honestly say the car looks better in person than the glamour shots on Porsches website.

That's scary! Some idiot will get one and think it can actually drive, and they don't have to pay attention. Definitely not ready for prime time.

Brew on :mug:

Finally a breakthrough in automobile engineering! In attempting to produce a totally automonous self-driving vehicle, they've finally found a way to make drivers actually pay more attention to situational awareness.

In my former career I made more than a few fully automated landings in commercial aircraft. It's amazing to see the sophistication involved in a very complex environment. And even then there was one foggy nighttime approach when the aircraft tried to pitch nose-down just as it had entered landing flare. 99.999% of the time (well, actually one in ten million probability) the automation can experience an "anomoly". I lost count during that Beta test video.

That system wasn't even "beta ready". Elon and the boys still need to polish that diamond in the rough. Hell, I can't even depend on the BLIS system in my Volvo if it's raining, although the City Safe sure saved my bacon last fall from a rear-end collision with an SUV who'd gotten cut-off by a motorcycle in front of him.

I'm all for lightening the load on today's drivers, but I'm beginning to wonder if all the hazards and possible conflicts can safely be accounted for in such a dynamic traffic environment. The variables are certainly more complex than the relatively simple task of landing an airliner with a couple hundred people on board.

Brooo Brother

I wait for the days of a fully automated lane where cars lock into place (so to speak) and move along their way only "unlocking" to get off an exit. I can't wait for my car to do all the damn work while I lay down in the back and enjoy the ride.

That's scary! Some idiot will get one and think it can actually drive, and they don't have to pay attention. Definitely not ready for prime time.

The car won’t let you not pay attention quite yet but that’s the idea for the future. Currently FSD is much like flying autopilot that Broothru mentioned. You just need to be there supervising the overall situation instead of paying so much attention hand flying the localizer and glide slope. Much less stressful.

P.S. I’ve had a few of those dark and stormy nights with a hint of icing low on fuel praying to see the ALS before DH.

The car won’t let you not pay attention quite yet but that’s the idea for the future. Currently FSD is much like flying autopilot that Broothru mentioned. You just need to be there supervising the overall situation instead of paying so much attention hand flying the localizer and glide slope. Much less stressful.

P.S. I’ve had a few of those dark and stormy nights with a hint of icing low on fuel praying to see the ALS before DH.
I'm VFR only, but I do have an AP to monitor.

Brew on :mug:

Amen, Brother, on those "dark and stormies." But the truth of the matter is that the environmental conditions for a Category 3 autoland are quite restrictive with regards to crosswinds and windshear. It varies from aircraft to aircraft, but generally maximum x-wind is 20 kits or less.

You may remember a deadly crash of a Delta L-1011 at DFW in the early 80s during a severe microburst. Out of the data downloaded from the Flight Data Recorder, a computer simulation was built and widely incorporated into flight simulator profiles for crew training. Even when fully briefed on the profile, it was probably 50-50 that you'd be able to successfully fly through the windshear without crashing the sim. However, even the relatively primitive autopilot and flight guidance systems of the day (I was a L-1011 crewmember in the 80s) could actually avoid crashing, though it would maneuver in ways no 'normal' human pilot likely would.

Granted, computing speed, processors, AI, and control integration is light-years ahead today of what it was back then. Even the B777 I used to fly, which is now 20 year-old tech, has less capacity that the 'human interface.'

In the final analysis, any 'autopilot' guidance system whether in an airplane or an automobile, no matter how sophisticated, is little more than an obedient copilot who will faithfully execute tasks you tell (program) it to do. Generally it will perform precisely those tasks unless some higher level algorithm, either programic or human, intervenes. As the "human intervention device", the driver or pilot in command MUST maintain a higher level of oversight and be prepared to immediately assume physical control, as the driver of the Tesla repeatedly did.

At least in today's world, the "driver" needs to be even more vigilant while the "autopilot" is "controlling" a vehicle since you have to monitor and anticipate not only what the 'other guy' might do but also what the autopilot might do.

Brooo Brother

I'm sure there's plenty of warnings prior to a driver opting into the beta. I question the wisdom of allowing anyone without a minimum of EVOC training to beta test on public streets.

On a more positive note as @Brooothru pointed out, Tesla not only improved the attention of the drivers in it's beta test but also those of surrounding vehicles.

Not sure if the whole hacked pipeline will become a thing nationwide, but......

Before, the uncertainty was always the geo political climate in the Middle East. Now it's Russian hackers screwing with our fuel supply. I have a feeling there will be many more ev supporters, especially if the fuel shortage spreads nationwide.

I've always been supportive of ev's and even plan on getting one in the future. But now I think it will be the NEAR future.

I grew up on a farm and had a tractor PTO driven generator for when the weather knocks out the power. We needed it because we had to get silage to the steers, keep our indoor calves warm, keep the well in good shape, etc.

I'm a big believer in having a local backup for when the power goes out. In my mind, local solar tied to a battery backup as an emergency power source makes a lot of sense. Make sure you can keep your fridges running and your heat or air conditioning on, maybe the water heater, too.

But I'm getting off topic.

Yup. I feel the same way. Within the last six months we have had two power outages for about 24 hours each time. It's nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country but still makes me do some prepping. I don't have solar panels yet but will in the future. I do have a small gas generator/inverter for my travel trailer that was used in the last outages. Saved us some $$ because we were able to power our fridge and garage freezer ( and keezer) with the generator.
As many know, it's not the outage that is stressful, it's not knowing how long it will last.

Not sure if the whole hacked pipeline will become a thing nationwide, but......

Before, the uncertainty was always the geo political climate in the Middle East. Now it's Russian hackers screwing with our fuel supply. I have a feeling there will be many more ev supporters, especially if the fuel shortage spreads nationwide.

I've always been supportive of ev's and even plan on getting one in the future. But now I think it will be the NEAR future.

What, you think the Russians can't hack the power grid?

I'm sure our power grid is hackable. It just goes to show how tenuous these resources are. Toilet paper, fuel, power grid etc are things we never gave a second thought to a couple of years ago.

I've never been much of a prepper but if I had solar panels when the next pandemic happens, at least I'd be able to brew. ;)

Back