Pluto Gun Beer Leaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have a doppelbock in my keg and I connected my pluto gun to it so I could dispense and sample over the course of time while the beer is lagering. I didn't do this until month 4. So from then until now, every week and a half or so, I'm pulling samples (it's been about a month and a half). The samples range from tasters to a full pint.

The other day, I woke up to find a very decent amount of beer hanging out around the floor outside the fridge (I use a mini fridge). I opened it up and immediately disconnected my pluto gun and cleaned up the mess. It's been three days and no issues---nothing is connected except gas right now. Also, prior the leak, I hadn't pulled a sample in 5 or 6 days so it wasn't immediately after I was actively using it. It just suddenly happened.

A few questions on this:

1. Could this be buildup in the gun? Or perhaps too much pressure during this time and it's forcing through the gun? Anyway to avoid this in the future?

The keg had been on gas for 4 months---12 PSI (also serving pressure)---before I connected the pluto gun. It's stayed like that ever since.

2. I couldn't tell you how much beer came out. The keg is much lighter than I would have thought. How concerned should I be about oxidation at that point? I imagine it's okay because the only leak was pushing pressure out of where it's dispensed, right?

I've never used a pluto gun, so I can't comment on that part of it. However, I doubt you need to worry about oxidation. As you state, the leak should have been pressure-positive, so fluid should have been flowing out rather than in.

Did your trigger catch on something causing it to empty?
Was it leaking when you found it?
If it wasn't leaking when you found it and there was still beer left, something odd is going on.
I have Pluto guns, but I have an in line shutoff valve that I close when I'm done pouring. It was more for when I had picnic taps, which seemed more likely to trigger inadvertently during storage, but I kept them when I switched over to plutos.

Did your trigger catch on something causing it to empty?
Was it leaking when you found it?

It was not leaking when I found it. And it was laying flat on top of the keg. I have no children or pets, not that the latter opens doors (no velociraptors in my house).

An in-line shutoff might be a good idea but shouldn't be necessary with a pluto gun. I may give that a shot.

This sounds annoying. A faucet should be leak free, even if it's flopping around vs a traditional fixed faucet.
fwiw, there are seal kits available for Pluto guns. If there's no doubt there's a seal leaking I'd give that route a try...

Cheers!

I JUST got my first Pluto gun set up last week and haven't had any leaking issues, even when visibly bending the tubing near the connection. Be sure you cut the tubing clean. You don't want an angle that can cause a leak. Also, be sure the duotight is inserted all the way into the barb on the gun, and the tubing is inserted all the way into the duotight. I've swapped the gun around on 6 different kegs and no leaks.

5 more just arrived at my doorstep, so I hope those don't leak!!!

I wasn't using the duotight fittings. I was connecting the 3/16th beverage line directly onto the gun. Perhaps this is part of the reason---even though it's very snug? While I've never had a leak before, I don't think I've had the gun on for longer than a few weeks. In this case, it was on for more time.

On another note, I went in to bottle from the keg yesterday and found my gas tank empty. It could have been time for a refill or not. I can't remember when I last filled it. After refilling it, I reconnected my gas but didn't find any noticeable leaks. I did not reconnect the pluto gun, however, due to time.

I may try duotight and consider the in-line valve as well.

I wasn't using the duotight fittings. I was connecting the 3/16th beverage line directly onto the gun. Perhaps this is part of the reason---even though it's very snug? While I've never had a leak before, I don't think I've had the gun on for longer than a few weeks. In this case, it was on for more time.

On another note, I went in to bottle from the keg yesterday and found my gas tank empty. It could have been time for a refill or not. I can't remember when I last filled it. After refilling it, I reconnected my gas but didn't find any noticeable leaks. I did not reconnect the pluto gun, however, due to time.

I may try duotight and consider the in-line valve as well.
Maybe try using a hose clamp if you're not using duotights. I just set up my other 5 Plutos, poured from each, and had zero leaks.

A little sloppy, but you get the idea. Duotights are AWESOME.
20220305_213135.jpg

They are. A little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple. Evabarrier is next level stuff. A little stiff, but so nice. MUCH thinner profile.

I was thinking about upgrading to pluto guns and duotight/eva. did you figure out the problem? have others had good luck with the pluto guns?

I was thinking about upgrading to pluto guns and duotight/eva. did you figure out the problem? have others had good luck with the pluto guns?
I recently picked up a duotight compatible picnic tap and a Pluto gun along with some evabarrier line to give them a try. I am not sure I see a lot of advantage to the Pluto gun vs picnic taps (other than they look a bit more fancy). I will give the Pluto gun a little more time and see how easy it is for others to use before fully making a decision.

I put 6 ft lines on both. The Pluto definitely needs longer lines, as it pours significantly faster than the picnic tap with 6 ft lines (where the picnic tap with 6 ft of 4mm line pours much better than my picnic taps with 6 ft of 3/16" tubing).

I have the "Stainless / ABS" version of the Pluto Gun. It is not a bad item for the $15 price tag. I could not justify the $60 price for the fully stainless version. Longer term I was thinking the Pluto Gun might be a good option for a portable keg system...maybe paired with one of the KegLand Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnects.

I do like the EVABarrier tubing and it seems like a very solid upgrade from standard beverage lines. It is easy to work with, pours nicely and gits rid of the need for hose clamps.

I recently picked up a duotight compatible picnic tap and a Pluto gun along with some evabarrier line to give them a try. I am not sure I see a lot of advantage to the Pluto gun vs picnic taps (other than they look a bit more fancy). I will give the Pluto gun a little more time and see how easy it is for others to use before fully making a decision.

I put 6 ft lines on both. The Pluto definitely needs longer lines, as it pours significantly faster than the picnic tap with 6 ft lines (where the picnic tap with 6 ft of 4mm line pours much better than my picnic taps with 6 ft of 3/16" tubing).

I have the "Stainless / ABS" version of the Pluto Gun. It is not a bad item for the $15 price tag. I could not justify the $60 price for the fully stainless version. Longer term I was thinking the Pluto Gun might be a good option for a portable keg system...maybe paired with one of the KegLand Flow Control Ball Lock Disconnects.

I do like the EVABarrier tubing and it seems like a very solid upgrade from standard beverage lines. It is easy to work with, pours nicely and gits rid of the need for hose clamps.
interesting. maybe i'll just stick with picnic taps and then upgrade to EVABarrier. That is my biggest concern, avoiding oxygen. I saw you can get SS picnic taps too. Would that be a *****ey thing to upgrade to. ha ha ha

I went to the Pluto gun because the picnic taps were always breaking. Love them! Used with EVA tubing 4mm ID at 5ft length and I get a perfect pour. Will never go back to the standard picnic tap.

I did have a leak when pushing StarSan at higher pressure, around 30psi, when sanitizing equipment, but never at serving pressure.

interesting. maybe i'll just stick with picnic taps and then upgrade to EVABarrier. That is my biggest concern, avoiding oxygen. I saw you can get SS picnic taps too. Would that be a *****ey thing to upgrade to. ha ha ha
Some people have reported issues with the Stainless picnic taps with the plastic plunger inside breaking. The $20 price seems a bit high for me.

Some of my picnic taps are 20+ years old and I have not had issues. My new duotight compatible picnic tap does seem a little thinner.

The grey adaptor pieces needed to connect EVABarrier line are a bit bulky and ugly. I also got one of the KegLand Ball Lock Disconnects (without Flow Control). It is a really cool looking item with a low profile and can accept EVABarrier line directly. It would be cool to see an improved picnic tap that had a built in connector for the EVABarrier line. Plus, the picnic tap plus adaptor runs around $10.

No need for long lines for the Pluto gun, use this disconnect and you can have the line as short as you want - they do work very well

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight...-lock-disconnect-liquid-black-yellow-pok.html

Last edited:
what length and ID of EVA do you use for a good adjustment range with this device? also, how short can the EVA line be for serving a typical beer?
I use the larger 8x5mm and it's 3ft long - could easily stand cutting down to 2ft - serving press 12psi

I use the larger 8x5mm and it's 3ft long - could easily stand cutting down to 2ft - serving press 12psi
nice. one last thing - do you see any value in using the 90 degree swivel fittings that they sell on the out quick disconnect so that the serving (or gas) line could swivel around when pulling it up and down. maybe it's completely unnecessary, but i thought it might make storing the line easier or maybe i could even just let the picnic tap hang down by the side of the keg if i used those...

https://www.kegland.com.au/duotight...-lock-disconnect-liquid-black-yellow-pok.html
halfway down the page there is an image under "duotight Swivel Elbow Sold Separately"

nice. one last thing - do you see any value in using the 90 degree swivel fittings that they sell on the out quick disconnect so that the serving (or gas) line could swivel around when pulling it up and down. maybe it's completely unnecessary, but i thought it might make storing the line easier or maybe i could even just let the picnic tap hang down by the side of the keg if i used those...

halfway down the page there is an image under "duotight Swivel Elbow Sold Separately"
This is not a "swivel" fitting but a fixed 90 deg elbow - however saying that one can twist the fitting so the answer is a yes to your question i.e. to save space

Back