Pluto Gun Beer Leaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
Reaction score
Have a doppelbock in my keg and I connected my pluto gun to it so I could dispense and sample over the course of time while the beer is lagering. I didn't do this until month 4. So from then until now, every week and a half or so, I'm pulling samples (it's been about a month and a half). The samples range from tasters to a full pint.

The other day, I woke up to find a very decent amount of beer hanging out around the floor outside the fridge (I use a mini fridge). I opened it up and immediately disconnected my pluto gun and cleaned up the mess. It's been three days and no issues---nothing is connected except gas right now. Also, prior the leak, I hadn't pulled a sample in 5 or 6 days so it wasn't immediately after I was actively using it. It just suddenly happened.

A few questions on this:

1. Could this be buildup in the gun? Or perhaps too much pressure during this time and it's forcing through the gun? Anyway to avoid this in the future?

The keg had been on gas for 4 months---12 PSI (also serving pressure)---before I connected the pluto gun. It's stayed like that ever since.

2. I couldn't tell you how much beer came out. The keg is much lighter than I would have thought. How concerned should I be about oxidation at that point? I imagine it's okay because the only leak was pushing pressure out of where it's dispensed, right?

3 Dawg Night

Пу́тін — хуйло́
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used a pluto gun, so I can't comment on that part of it. However, I doubt you need to worry about oxidation. As you state, the leak should have been pressure-positive, so fluid should have been flowing out rather than in.

marc1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did your trigger catch on something causing it to empty?
Was it leaking when you found it?
If it wasn't leaking when you found it and there was still beer left, something odd is going on.
I have Pluto guns, but I have an in line shutoff valve that I close when I'm done pouring. It was more for when I had picnic taps, which seemed more likely to trigger inadvertently during storage, but I kept them when I switched over to plutos.

OP
OP
B

Bobo1898

Reaction score
Did your trigger catch on something causing it to empty?
Was it leaking when you found it?

It was not leaking when I found it. And it was laying flat on top of the keg. I have no children or pets, not that the latter opens doors (no velociraptors in my house).

An in-line shutoff might be a good idea but shouldn't be necessary with a pluto gun. I may give that a shot.

day_trippr

Structural Duct Tape Sales Engineer
Reaction score
This sounds annoying. A faucet should be leak free, even if it's flopping around vs a traditional fixed faucet.
fwiw, there are seal kits available for Pluto guns. If there's no doubt there's a seal leaking I'd give that route a try...

Cheers!

NTBeer

Reaction score
Unless I am missing something, it looks to me that the seals / rebuild kits are only available in Australia and New Zealand. But there is this...

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I JUST got my first Pluto gun set up last week and haven't had any leaking issues, even when visibly bending the tubing near the connection. Be sure you cut the tubing clean. You don't want an angle that can cause a leak. Also, be sure the duotight is inserted all the way into the barb on the gun, and the tubing is inserted all the way into the duotight. I've swapped the gun around on 6 different kegs and no leaks.

5 more just arrived at my doorstep, so I hope those don't leak!!!

OP
OP
B

Bobo1898

Reaction score
I wasn't using the duotight fittings. I was connecting the 3/16th beverage line directly onto the gun. Perhaps this is part of the reason---even though it's very snug? While I've never had a leak before, I don't think I've had the gun on for longer than a few weeks. In this case, it was on for more time.

On another note, I went in to bottle from the keg yesterday and found my gas tank empty. It could have been time for a refill or not. I can't remember when I last filled it. After refilling it, I reconnected my gas but didn't find any noticeable leaks. I did not reconnect the pluto gun, however, due to time.

I may try duotight and consider the in-line valve as well.

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't using the duotight fittings. I was connecting the 3/16th beverage line directly onto the gun. Perhaps this is part of the reason---even though it's very snug? While I've never had a leak before, I don't think I've had the gun on for longer than a few weeks. In this case, it was on for more time.

On another note, I went in to bottle from the keg yesterday and found my gas tank empty. It could have been time for a refill or not. I can't remember when I last filled it. After refilling it, I reconnected my gas but didn't find any noticeable leaks. I did not reconnect the pluto gun, however, due to time.

I may try duotight and consider the in-line valve as well.
Maybe try using a hose clamp if you're not using duotights. I just set up my other 5 Plutos, poured from each, and had zero leaks.

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A little sloppy, but you get the idea. Duotights are AWESOME.
20220305_213135.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bobo1898

Reaction score
Very nice!

Are the duotights quick disconnect? And I should get EVA barrier lines too, yeah?

wepeeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They are. A little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple. Evabarrier is next level stuff. A little stiff, but so nice. MUCH thinner profile.