pitching over yeast cake suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyLopez

Reaction score
I have a red ale in primary with some white labs california yeast....I chose this strand as I heard it was a nice, clean one...

I understand there will be some flavor crossovers...but what are some good tips?
Also...can anyone suggest a few styles that would do good on top of this yeast?

1) you could wash the yeast. there is a nice thread on yeast washing in the fermentation section.
or
2) Just pitch about 1 cup of the slurry into a new batch.

i wouldnt be too worried about flavor crossovers. the usual rule of thumb is to go from lighter to darker, meaning dont reuse the yeast (w/o washing) from a stout into a blonde ale. if you chose to wash it, then it doesnt matter.

1) you could wash the yeast. there is a nice thread on yeast washing in the fermentation section.
or
2) Just pitch about 1 cup of the slurry into a new batch.

i wouldnt be too worried about flavor crossovers. the usual rule of thumb is to go from lighter to darker, meaning dont reuse the yeast (w/o washing) from a stout into a blonde ale. if you chose to wash it, then it doesnt matter.

+1 on pitching a cup of the slurry ... that's much better than pitching into a dirty fermenter IMO

I do this all the time. I prefer it because you'll get a very strong fermentation that starts fast.

I'll usually just repitch into the same fermentor using the whole yeast cake. I plan on kegging the same day as brewing to keep it easy. Just make sure you cover the carboy with cling wrap until you put more beer in.

Imperials or anything you need a starter for are good to put on a yeast cake as you'll have a lot of strong healthy yeast.

Make sure you use a blow off tube.

yes, while i agree that really high ABV beers like imperials or barleywines can be ptiched right on a cake, for the vast majority of beers it simply too much yeast, and the end result MAY be a beer that is too yeasty. i say MAY because I, too, have pitched right on a yeast cake with good results. But now i just use 1 cup of the slurry to ensure im not overpitching.

I've been reusing yeast like this on and off for about a year and a half.

I think it makes good beer I've never had a problem. Even pitching onto the same yeast cake 2 or 3 times. I have tried washing yeast and doing starters. But nothing works as fast or ferment harder imho.

I will agree that I am definitely over pitching. And in some of those batches was waaaay over pitching.

I will also say that I probably should build a stir plate and start experimenting with yeast. With goal of getting a fermentation that is as strong and takes off as fast as pitching onto a yeast cake everytime. Because everytime I've reused a yeast cake the difference is night and day.

Back