Pitching on Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinhead

Reaction score
Yesterday I pitched a new batch of beer on top of a yeast cake of a beer that I had just moved to the secondary. Its bubbling along great and started with in an hour of pitching. This seems a lot easier then washing etc.

There must be some down side to this, What are the issues and how many times can you pitch on the same yeast cake?

Depends how much Hops and trub are in your fermenter, and if the previous beer is higher in color and bitterness. I have had great success doing this with the same low gravity beers, but once I had to dump a batch because I forgot that I dry hopped in the previous one. I just started racking to secondary again after 7 years, what I have been doing is to rack the beer and some of the yeast off the bottom. A week later I pitch the new beer right onto that yeast, its a lot cleaner and seems to work great!

Some reasons it may not be the best idea: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

I have done it in the past, but now I just use a portion of the slurry for repitching, according to the yeast slurry pitching calculator on mrmalty.com. Generally, it's about 150 ml of yeast for 5 gallons of a medium/high OG. A whole yeast cake is way too much.

Back