Pitched too cold (12c)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdownes

Reaction score
I've just done a batch of kolsch and had a funny five minutes, for some bizarre reason I chilled the wort down to 12c (conditioning temp) rather than 18c and pitched the yeast.

I pitched it yesterday (about 20 hours ago) and having just realised have opened the fridge door to let it warm back up to 18c.

Assume the yeast went dormant but will it come back up again or should I pitch some more in?

The yeast will most likely begin fermenting your wort as it warms. Might just take a little longer to notice fermentation since it will be a slow start.

I quite often chill an ale lower than the fermentation temp and let it rise. That's much better than pitching too high and have the yeast get started too far before you can cool it back down.

If you're using 2565 it will have no problems at that temp, I did my last 2 Kolsch beers at 12 degrees C, just expect it to take a few extra days to ferment.

Back