Doh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I just brewed a Bell's Oberon clone and pitched my yeast starter into it yesterday afternoon. Have done this one several times. It's a good beer. Came down this morning and saw my fermenter was sitting at 68 F. I have it set for 64 F. Hmm. Was wondering is I was having a problem with my mini-fridge. Started looking at the possibility of getting another fridge if for no other reason a backup. I finally noticed the temperature probe sitting on top of the fridge. Doh. I never put it inside the thermowell. Once I put it in, the measured temperature went to 44 F. I guess my WLP001 will just have remained dormant for a while longer. I now have a heat wrap on it bringing it back up to temperature a bit quicker than just leaving it in a room at 68 F. Hopefully gets warmed up to my fermenting temperature by this afternoon.

:eek:

It'll be fine. I've done the same thing a couple times over the years. Other than making you feel like Einstein, there's no harm in it other than a day of fermentation time lost.

Well I just brewed a Bell's Oberon clone and pitched my yeast starter into it yesterday afternoon. Have done this one several times. It's a good beer. Came down this morning and saw my fermenter was sitting at 68 F. I have it set for 64 F. Hmm. Was wondering is I was having a problem with my mini-fridge. Started looking at the possibility of getting another fridge if for no other reason a backup. I finally noticed the temperature probe sitting on top of the fridge. Doh. I never put it inside the thermowell. Once I put it in, the measured temperature went to 44 F. I guess my WLP001 will just have remained dormant for a while longer. I now have a heat wrap on it bringing it back up to temperature a bit quicker than just leaving it in a room at 68 F. Hopefully gets warmed up to my fermenting temperature by this afternoon.

:eek:
You may want to give the yeast a Pinch. Apparently that is a new technique and maybe it helps to wake the little buggers up. :p

I'd expect it to be fine as well, it didn't freeze so it shouldn't have done any unrecoverable damage.

You may want to give the yeast a Pinch. Apparently that is a new technique and maybe it helps to wake the little buggers up. :p

I'd expect it to be fine as well, it didn't freeze so it shouldn't have done any unrecoverable damage.
By mid afternoon it had warmed up to 63 F and started to take off. Already had a krausan layer forming. I have it set for 64 F. This morning it’s chugging away with a beautiful 1 inch thick white krausan layer already. 😀

Back