Pilsner DME - Time to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I read that Pilsner malt should be boiled longer because it produce more DMS. Does it apply to Pilsner malt in DME form? Or can I just do a 60 minute boil?

It just applies to pilsner malted grains. The DME should only need 60 minutes. Mine was fine for that amount of time. Just use part in the partial boil,remaining at flame out. You'll keep the color really light that way.

It just applies to pilsner malted grains. The DME should only need 60 minutes. Mine was fine for that amount of time. Just use part in the partial boil,remaining at flame out. You'll keep the color really light that way.

Yeah I already do 1/3 at 60 rest at 15 (Making sure everything is sanitized).

So no problem either to add the Pilsner DME at 15 I guess?

Thank!

Sure. But adding it at flame out while the wort is still boiling hot. Cover & steep a couple minutes to pasteurize,which happens about 162F. Since it's still boiling hot,it'll work at flame out just as well,since it acctually takes only seconds to achieve.

Sure. But adding it at flame out while the wort is still boiling hot. Cover & steep a couple minutes to pasteurize,which happens about 162F. Since it's still boiling hot,it'll work at flame out just as well,since it acctually takes only seconds to achieve.

Interesting :) it sterilize in seconds when 162F and over? I Thought it was for longer than that.

I hate DME as it dry very quickly and forms chunky dough when exposed to air for few minutes. And I get problem to dissolve it correctly so this is why I also add it at 15. I could probably move it closer to 5 and less to give me enough time to dissolve it.

Oh yeah,pasteurization happens very quickly at that temp. It doesn't take long at all. I don't open the plain DME unless I'm doing AE,since half gets used in the partial boil. In my PM beers,it all gets added at flame out.
Anyway,start stirring right before you start slowly pouring in the DME. It'll take a couple minutes to get it all stirred in.

DME has already been boiled, so there should be no issues with DMS, even if you add it at flameout. As for pasteurization, as I understand it, 140ºF is the temp of pasteurization but it takes time. At 160ºF, several seconds is all it takes to pasteurize. Above 180ºF and enzymes may be created that will inhibit the process and boiling would be needed to sterilize.

Back