Pilsener Urquell Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RishoBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew the Urquell clone based on this Pilsener Urquell clone recipe. I checked with my local brew supply store and was told that Pilsener, Vienna, Munich malts need to be mashed, however the "step-by-step" describes a steeping process.

Can you look at this recipe and confirm either way? Has anyone brewed this one? How did you solve the water dilemma?
Thanks!
:mug:

You will actually be doing a mini-mash.

If you're looking for taste this looks like it will get you there.

If you're looking for that beautiful golden color,I believe
you'll have to do all grain.

I'd give it a shot exactly like it is.

All the Best,
D. White

The author says steeping, but this is a mini-mash (and BIAB) recipe. 2.5lbs malt in 4.5 quart water and leaving it at a temp of 158F (which looks a little high to me) for 45min should allow for starch conversion.

Don't heat the water in the brewpot past 168F.

I haven't looked at a lot of recipes in BYO, are they all written this poorly? I'm seeing some ambiguous stuff in here.

I'm looking to brew the Urquell clone based on this Pilsener Urquell clone recipe. I checked with my local brew supply store and was told that Pilsener, Vienna, Munich malts need to be mashed, however the "step-by-step" describes a steeping process.

Can you look at this recipe and confirm either way? Has anyone brewed this one? How did you solve the water dilemma?
Thanks!
:mug:

The recipe is using the word steep to keep newbies from freaking out when they see the word mash but when you "steep" the grains in water at 158 degrees as the recipe calls for you are indeed mashing, not steeping. You could "steep" the grains anywhere between 145 and 160 and it would still be mashing but the fermentability would end up differently.

The recipe is using the word steep to keep newbies from freaking out when they see the word mash but when you "steep" the grains in water at 158 degrees as the recipe calls for you are indeed mashing, not steeping. You could "steep" the grains anywhere between 145 and 160 and it would still be mashing but the fermentability would end up differently.

LOL! It is just misleading, that's all. My local brewer supply store guru indicated to that effect and added that the three malts aren't roasted and won't steep. Thanks for the additional info!

Back