Pets and why we hate them...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
SWMBO's 6 month old Chihuahua puppy dropped a "hot one" on my living room floor today, twice.

I flipped out, SWMBO called me an ******* for blaming her and not the dog (isnt it her responsibility to train it?)

honestly, that dog is the bane of my existence. It's one of those pansy dogs that only loves its owner, and its not trained at all.

Why do people get dogs anyways? I've never understood it. We have bred out the "wolf" in dogs so they are just as pathetic as humans.....it makes me sick to see it.

ok, rant over. carry on.

I'll turn a Chihuahua into a mudflap...it's not a dog.

As far as a real dog? Die in a ****ing grease fire you real dog hating piece of ****.

unfortunately dogs are like kids, especially if they're puppies. gotta both be on board training/taking care of it.

i sorta agree on the wolf take. i appreciate/respect the 'wild' animals more than the domestic breeds we've retarded out of usefulness in the wild or even a rural working settting. we've got coyotes here, and i'd love to snatch one of their pups and raise it, but like my face how it's currently arranged.

btw, you should expect to catch a bit of flak with this thread. ;)

just wait till it's older. Chihuahuas are bred to dig animals out of holes and as such are bred to be barkers. loud shrill barkers.

Eh get a real dog and train it, then you have a great companion and home protector. The Dane I got this summer is 3 years old (from a rescue) loves us but won't put up with any dog's crap, top dog wherever she is. Doesn't hurt to have her around if anyone is snooping about the house either.

Eh get a real dog and train it, then you have a great companion and home protector. The Dane I got this summer is 3 years old (from a rescue) loves us but won't put up with any dog's crap, top dog wherever she is. Doesn't hurt to have her around if anyone is snooping about the house either.

Yeah sucka! That's a real dog. PM me a pic if you got one.

(isnt it her responsibility to train it?)

Thats the issue there. Training a dog isn't hard, you just have to do it. Might as well spend the little bit of time to train it and get the benefits for the next 10+ years.

A bad dog is really just a owner with a lack of intelligence. To be blunt...

I love dogs. LOVE them.

But I must say that a chihuahau puppy isn't a dog. It's a rat that barks. :D

THIS is a dog:

DSCF0003-1.jpg

Dogs are smarter than you give credit... that dog probably KNOWS you hate it and took a dump on your carpet just to piss you off.

Dogs are smarter than you give credit... that dog probably KNOWS you hate it and took a dump on your carpet just to piss you off.

I agree, the rat knew what it was doing. We had a Cairn Terrier that was punished for peeing on the floor, so it ran into the bedroom, jumped on the bed and laid down a load just as mom was coming into the room.

Dogs are wolves... canis lupus, straight up. Canis Lupus Lupus is the grey wolf, Canis Lupis Familiaris is the dawg. I'm not really a dog person (not that I'd mind having a wolf in my house, but I have more of a cat lifestyle) but I've had plenty of success with my sister-in-law's rat-wolves (shi-tzu bichon crosses) by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating. This may prove more effective than kicking it. Sister-in-law's rats leave the room when I walk in now, and I didn't risk trouble from SWMBO over assaulting them...

With a minimal amount of training by a complete nincompoop (me) our dog will sit, stay, beg, wave, jump up, lie down, and kennel up every time.

We found this effective: prepare to make the dog do what you're going to command, say the command and immediately make it do what you want, then reward it with a treat and a big "Good Boy/Girl!". Do not repeat the command and be ready to immediately make the dog sit before you say the command. This works really well for us.

IMG_6828.jpg

Dogs are wolves... canis lupus, straight up. Canis Lupus Lupus is the grey wolf, Canis Lupis Familiaris is the dawg. I'm not really a dog person (not that I'd mind having a wolf in my house, but I have more of a cat lifestyle) but I've had plenty of success with my sister-in-law's rat-wolves (shi-tzu bichon crosses) by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating. This may prove more effective than kicking it. Sister-in-law's rats leave the room when I walk in now, and I didn't risk trouble from SWMBO over assaulting them...

LOL! bichon shi-tsu!

I'm not condoning this, since I like dogs; it's just an option based upon what an acquaintance of mine said he did once upon a time.

Situation: Yappy dog that was driving said acquaintance nuts, including copious pooping.

Solution: Acquaintance told new wife that he was taking the dog hunting. Upon his return from hunting, without the aforementioned canine, he simply explained that it ran away. . . .

just wait till it's older. Chihuahuas are bred to dig animals out of holes and as such are bred to be barkers. loud shrill barkers.

I was always told that Chihuahuas were bred to eliminate rodents. They're good at chasing them down and getting into their living spaces to chase them out.

Thats the issue there. Training a dog isn't hard, you just have to do it. Might as well spend the little bit of time to train it and get the benefits for the next 10+ years.

A bad dog is really just a owner with a lack of intelligence. To be blunt...

I read a book awhile back that posed the theory that dogs have a pack mentality. Somebody has to lead the pack and if the owner doesn't act as a leader, then the dog will take the reins and lead the pack. That said, the owner must assert their position as leader and the dog will gladly follow.

Chihuahuas are great. The only problem is raising them for 18 months.
By then they're big enough to make 3 good size tacos. :D

by taking an assertive posture and making constant eye contact. Wolves find eye contact from someone bigger pretty intimidating.

Please for the love of god no one follow this advice. My dog would rip your arm off and so will most personal protection trained, police trained,SCHh and guard dogs.

Why do people get dogs anyways? I've never understood it. We have bred out the "wolf" in dogs so they are just as pathetic as humans.....it makes me sick to see it.

ok, rant over. carry on.
People get dogs for the same reason women get boyfriends, companionship. Undomesticated animals cant be trusted for companionship. You don't think she actually needs you to keep her bed warm do you? :D

Could be worse. Atleast the "hot one" wasn't a "hot pile". Imagine how pissed you would be if that dog were a black lab.

House training a dog takes time and varies for each puppy. It took us nearly a year to housebreak our first dog but our second puppy was house broken in two weeks. Instead of blaming your SWMBO maybe you should help her train the puppy. Sometimes dogs can be as stubborn as their owners.

SWMBO's 6 month old Chihuahua puppy dropped a "hot one" on my living room floor today, twice.

I flipped out, SWMBO called me an ******* for blaming her and not the dog (isnt it her responsibility to train it?)

honestly, that dog is the bane of my existence. It's one of those pansy dogs that only loves its owner, and its not trained at all.

ok, rant over. carry on.

Chihuahuas are not dogs; they're actually rats with thyroid & pituitary problems. Rub the rat's nose in it's own crap & smack it with a rolled up newspaper. Then tell SWMBO to clean up.

remember that dogs can be helpful too, mine cleans up the messes I make when I brew. She must have drank a pint worth of wort and even some beer that I dumped out of an old keg.

P1040885-800.jpg

Please for the love of god no one follow this advice. My dog would rip your arm off and so will most personal protection trained, police trained,SCHh and guard dogs.

Uhh, most people don't have personal protection trained, police trained guard dogs.

Could be worse. Atleast the "hot one" wasn't a "hot pile". Imagine how pissed you would be if that dog were a black lab.

House training a dog takes time and varies for each puppy. It took us nearly a year to housebreak our first dog but our second puppy was house broken in two weeks. Instead of blaming your SWMBO maybe you should help her train the puppy. Sometimes dogs can be as stubborn as their owners.

House breaking a dog is simple. Crate it with an appropriate sized crate (not to big, not to small) when you can't keep a constant eye on it. When you can watch it constantly, limit it to only one room and every time it starts to squat to poop/pee, yell "no" and take it outside. Keep the area it's allowed to roam free small until it's no longer squating to poop/pee in that area then gradually make the area larger.

You'll have it trained in 3 weeks to a month.

The dogs I have had that were the easiest to house-train were already pretty much 'trained' by their mother.

remember that dogs can be helpful too, mine cleans up the messes I make when I brew.
My dog is always ready for anything I drop when cooking, brewing, etc. Just this past weekend I dropped a raw egg; "Jake!":D

Very true. I'd never go there with a doberman, shepherd, rotty, etc. The advice was specifically an alternative to kicking small, football-shaped dogs...

I think it depends actually. Dogs are supposed to receive eye contact as a sign of aggression, which obviously would be a bad thing. BUT, you can train your dog a little on that front when they are young by rewarding docile behaviour while making eye contact.

I certainly wouldn't try staring down someone other person's dog though...

House breaking a dog is simple. Crate it with an appropriate sized crate (not to big, not to small) when you can't keep a constant eye on it. When you can watch it constantly, limit it to only one room and every time it starts to squat to poop/pee, yell "no" and take it outside. Keep the area it's allowed to roam free small until it's no longer squating to poop/pee in that area then gradually make the area larger.

+1

We have 1 real dog (looks and acts just like a catahoula), 2 "half dogs" (corgi's), and 1 football (pomeranian). We've had to potty train all 4 as is normal with ANY dog.

The pomeranian is a pup and spends a good amount of time in her kennel where going to the bathroom means that she has to/ gets to play in her own excrement. She's slowly getting better about going to the bathroom OUTSIDE not INSIDE.

With any dog accidents happen (ya know... like when you had that fish burrito from the taco truck...), but with training most dogs will be pretty darn good about not going to the bathroom inside.

Some, however, do go to the bathroom as a F*** YOU - generally on your bed....

The pomeranian is a pup and spends a good amount of time in her kennel where going to the bathroom means that she has to/ gets to play in her own excrement.
I was told (or I read) that when they 'go' in the crate you want to clean it up ASAP. That's what their mother would have done in their den (in a quite disgusting way but w/e).

Catching them 'in the act' does seem to be important though. You can tell when they're looking for a spot, and catch them before they even really squat. Just a really loud "No!" and then picking them up and putting them outside, then praise when they go outside; plus the crating, has always worked for me. You can even 'set them up'...you know they're gonna go right after eating or waking up.

Nothing beterr than warm, fibrous, gooey gift packlages between your toes in the mornings as you stumble your way to toilet.

Cats!

I was told (or I read) that when they 'go' in the crate you want to clean it up ASAP. That's what their mother would have done in their den (in a quite disgusting way but w/e).

Catching them 'in the act' does seem to be important though. You can tell when they're looking for a spot, and catch them before they even really squat. Just a really loud "No!" and then picking them up and putting them outside, then praise when they go outside; plus the crating, has always worked for me. You can even 'set them up'...you know they're gonna go right after eating or waking up.

To be clear - the excrement is cleaned up pretty quickly. When we're out of the house, though, she's in the crate. Recently we've been coming home to a clean kennel.

I guess we all forgot to mention the "pup just won the world F*n series" cheering when they go to the bathroom in an appropriate spot...

Then you go ahead and take the chance to find out...

As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.

I grew up with large dogs my entire life. My wife has an old bitchin freeze that vomits on everything and loves to spill garbage and spread it around the house. I just love that little yipper <sarcasm>

I will get a real dog again when the kids are older and we can affoard a nice in-ground electric fence. I want an Irish wolf hound. Wanted one my whole life.

bitchin freeze
LOL! At least it's hypo-allergenic...allegedly. I used to have a Basenji which is also hypo-allergenic...allegedly.

Some dogs are just easy. My dog just won't 'stray' no matter what. I have gaps under my fence that I could crawl under but he just won't run off. Maybe having him fixed at about 10 months helped.

As a former animal control officer who's investigated numerous dog bites, this is why I advocate lengthy prison terms, breed specific bans, and serious financial loss to owners of aggressive dogs. The thought of someone owning a dog who attacks because of someone looking at them strikes me the same way as a gangbanger shooting up a neighborhood because he was "disrepected". Both type of vicious animals should be put down in the same manner.

I couldn't agree more. I can't even ride my damn bike through our thug infested neighborhood, because of the pit bulls and other unchained mutts. You don't even understand the self control it takes not to start sniping dogs with the 10/22.

You give Schutzhund dogs a bad name. Schutzhund training should only be undertaken with stable, well adjusted animals - more so when one undertakes civil work associated with protection training. These dogs should also complete significant obedience training before undertaking serious bite work (obedience is part of the Schutzhund training). Generally speaking, police trained dogs are very stable, no department can afford to have a bite machine that will react to perceived threats such as eye contact.

Point is, some dogs will respond to extended eye contact as a challenge therefore it is not good practice.

Back