Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extract gose with sauerkraut brine, pitched a couple of months ago. It's hard to see the thin layer of white film. Looks like a broken ice sheet.

2015-04-23.jpg

I was catching up on the thread when I first started making my Lambic meads, I was laying in bed and my wife said "you're gross" as I zoomed in on pellicles with my Ipad. It's even better when I call her over to the closet and say, "Hey look at this one"

Nice! Looked just like mine. I bottled mine yesterday actually. Tasted pretty good already!

This is my turbid mashed lambic. Sample was pretty terrible. Thats what i get for using an old yeast slurry without ramping it up before pitching. Gonna pitch a healthy dose of ecy34 and hope for the best.
View attachment 273090

Decided to pitch crooked stave dregs this morning instead of the ecy. Pellicle has appeared to have grown in just a few days.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430164707.474714.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430164718.640462.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430164730.307965.jpg

It's kind of like a bad itch. You open the bung to see what you have, take a photo, and the next day is an even better one. I need a pic of that, remove the bung, take a photo repeat until bottling time.

a few pellicles i took pictures of this afternoon

U5RPnvF.jpg

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja fermented this one.

KPnqsww.jpg

This is from Cuvee Rene.

X2W2qPx.jpg

This one is Roeselare with a whole bunch of dregs added. Ive added tilquins oude gueuze, tilquins plum lambic, oude gueuze from boon, cantillons gueuze, hansenns oude gueuze, and drie fonteinens oude gueuze.

They all smell funky and great.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430701115.739833.jpg

Re-emergence of Brett in a growler set aside for use as the liquid portion of instant brownies. In 2013 my neighbor found factory sealed bags of malt extract that were over 10 years old. For giggles we used the "dark" to make a porter-ish batch. It tasted oxidized fresh from the fermenter, but almost borderline acceptable for an old ale or barley wine. I put it on cherries with Brett Brux. Later, in the brutal -20 degree winter, I ice concentrated it. I had it on tap and it was interesting; worth the occasional small glass. I started using it for brownies which resulted in tasty treats. I only had about 1.5 gallons after concentrating it. So I hung onto a growler for such. Now nearly 2 years later the Brett is hanging in there, trying to protect it now that a brownie use later there is head space.

lol :D

yes, definitely, send to me for proper disposal etc etc etc...

Yeah you really can't just drain pour this stuff, there's this whole environmentally friendly process that involves bottling, conditioning, drinking, and urinating it into the sewer system. If you poured it straight down your drain you'll F* up the local eco system.

I can dispose of it for you for roughly 10$ I take pay pal :mug:

Yeah you really can't just drain pour this stuff, there's this whole environmentally friendly process that involves bottling, conditioning, drinking, and urinating it into the sewer system. If you poured it straight down your drain you'll F* up the local eco system.

I can dispose of it for you for roughly 10$ I take pay pal :mug:

Is there any particular way I should package it? Should I ship the bucket, or just pour it into a freezer bag?

Seriously, though, I'd like to use the yeast cake from this to brew a saison this weekend or the next. Any harm in racking this to glass to finish?

This is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale that I brewed last October. It's on a yeast cake that I saved from an earlier sour stout brewed in November 2013 (inspired by Tart of Darkness and Wicked Weed's Black Angel Cherry Sour). Originally Roeselare, plus dregs from ToD, Black Angel and Madrugada Obscura. There's dried sour cherries in there too.

So I did a spontaneous fermentation with left over wort with some halo oranges that were for the kid and looks like it started with lacto and now getting a pellicle going but not sure all my other two sours never got one so sorta excited with this

The start that seems like lacto
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431464155.780936.jpg

And what I have today
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431464184.607892.jpg

Any suggestions on best way to go about doing this guy, should I rack off the fruit to another jug or keeping on the fruit be fine?

Back