Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From inside my conical. Brett & Pedio. Nothing fancy, but it's there!

IMG_20150211_182224528.jpg

IMG_20150211_182421164.jpg

IMG_20150211_182415581.jpg

Not a pellicle but a series of pics about 12 hrs apart of my latest 100% brett lambicus brew. Yeast was under pitched (straight from the white labs vial) but this certainly didn't slow down the Brett! First signs of activity after 48hrs

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

ECY20 Lambic developed powdery spots all over the pellicle just a few days after posting the initial pics.
Sorry for same 'ol pellicle as last time, but it looks like it was sprinkled with powdered sugar.... I haven't opened the carboy.

This developed on a starter I made using dregs from batches 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 of Sante Adairius Rustic Ales' Saison Bernice. I started by splitting 500 ml of 1.02 OG wort among the bottles. I let those go for a week, and then I made 1 L of 1.04 OG wort and added the contents from all of the bottles to that. This is what it looks like 2 days later:

4h0MHYz.jpg

h1NiNci.jpg

The Pellicle I broke to add blueberries
EH7Glo6.jpg

Blended lambic mead on blueberries. And yes, the pellicle is climbing the walls.
ORqEFAf.jpg

Sour, funky cider bugged with ECY20 - 5 weeks and amazing!
qQlAtNh.jpg

Can anyone help me identify what this thing might be:

3Yw8mwt.jpg

I put about 100 ml of 1.02 OG wort into a bottle of Sante Adairius Rustic Ales' Barrel Aged Fumare that seemed to have more than the usual amount of dregs. After about a week nothing was happening, so I gave the bottle a good shake and put it back on the windowsill. That was about a week ago, and I discovered that monster growing this morning.

Can anyone help me identify what this thing might be:

3Yw8mwt.jpg

I put about 100 ml of 1.02 OG wort into a bottle of Sante Adairius Rustic Ales' Barrel Aged Fumare that seemed to have more than the usual amount of dregs. After about a week nothing was happening, so I gave the bottle a good shake and put it back on the windowsill. That was about a week ago, and I discovered that monster growing this morning.

It kind of looks like one of those Yellow Smiley face like: :) except with its smile completely gone. It's definitely a monster......

That thing is still there, and it's getting bigger all the time. It now extends down into the wort a good bit. I've taken to calling it Jack as it reminds me of the guy from Nightmare Before Christmas.

Sounds like it might be a mother of vinegar, or something similar

Brewed my saison base (85% pils, 5% each Golden Naked Oats, Rye Malt, and Dark Wheat). Chilled to only 120F and pitched a quart starter of WLP677 and Cascade dregs. After 18 hours here's the status. Massive protein coagulation stratifying the wort. At least I'm hoping it's just the cold break and not a mother of vinegar.

Wednesday morning I plan on pitching saison yeast into it. If it doesn't have any sourness to it or I don't get to it at that time, I won't have a chance until Sunday due to a business trip.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426552669.213447.jpg

The blob has settled and compacted on the bottom now. The thin lacto pellicle has been over taken by a more sacch looking krausen. I dre a hydro sample and it's only dropped a couple points and tastes of mango/papaya. I'll let it ride until Sunday.

Here are some pics from the bug farm I've got going. Looks like a good crop this year!

EirXQ63.jpg

Se5nkli.jpg

1tWCBlr.jpg

bZFgNMU.jpg

That's 13 different types of bottle dregs that I "stepped up" directly in their bottles and verified that something was growing, prior to transferring them all to a larger container with some slightly higher gravity wort

Latest posts

Back