Pasteurized/Ultra-Pasteurized - WHAT?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck is the overall difference (aside from ultra seems to be MORE pasteurized) and how the heck can I figure out the difference? I've never seen a milk jug with ultra on it anywhere...

How can I tell?

Here is what I found...

cloverstornetta.com said:
What is the difference between pasteurized and ultra pasteurized?

Ultra pasteurized came into being so that milk would have a longer shelf life in the store. It is heated to 280 degrees F for about 2 seconds. Regular pasteurization heats milk to 161 degrees F for about 15 seconds. Milk that is ultra pasteurized tends to have more of a cooked flavor. Stabilizers need to be added to whipping cream or it will not whip, processors also will frequently add stabilizers to ultra pasteurized half and half. Ultra pasteurized heavy whipping cream takes a long time to whip. Some consumers feel that the proteins have been altered too much by the ultra pasteurization process. Once opened, ultra pasteurized products have the same shelf life as conventionally processed milks.

Look for Superiorbrews "30 minute microwave Mozarella" thread from a few days ago. He talks about the whole pasturized/ultra pasturized deal, and offers a solution that he's trying using powdered milk and cream.

Back