Oxiclean...two years and no infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there possibly an issue as to whether oxiclean is "food grade" or not?

The dead guy that worked with the British guy (billy something i think) that did oxiclean commercials years ago, ate or drank some of it to show how safe it was. But it was never marketed as a food utensil or dishes product so i'm sure they would hesitate to designate it as food safe. That probably involves all kinds of government agencies and rules.

right here in Tampa

I'm in tampa and clearwater a few times a year to work with a client very near the 19 and 60. How can you folks deal with that heat and humidity?!?!. I almost died last time I was there :) It makes Georgia and Missouri look like child's play. I did find a great restaurant in St. Pete though. I just had to move quickly between the car and the front door so I didnt pass out on my way in. lol

I appreciate JonnyRotten's post as it made me think and consider things I had not previously considered. Thank you!

Me to.
Me too
Me two.

Sorry...English is my first language.

Thank you JOHNNYROTTEN. We could be friends if you’d just turn down the volume on your name.

Seriously people...there are so many threads in need of your condemnation I struggle to understand why this is the one that cant go unabashed.

There is a thread titled “BOOGER BEER” and you’ve picked this one as the line that cant be crossed?

Carry on johnnyrotten......see.....it sounds kind of nice in your inside voice

Cheers!

The subject has been pretty well covered in this thread. I agree that using what works for you is fine. No reason to fix something that ain't broke.

However, I really think new brewers who come here for advice need to see the best practices in response to their questions. It's fine to relate other than "accepted" practices, but they should be identified as such. For example: I know this isn't a widely accepted practice, but----------------, and it works for me.

I once actually filled a fermenter that had sat for a couple of weeks without sanitizing and not had a problem, but would not do this intentionally. Not only is it not a good practice, it's just asking for trouble.

Me to.
Me too
Me two.

Sorry...English is my first language.

Thank you JOHNNYROTTEN. We could be friends if you’d just turn down the volume on your name.

Seriously people...there are so many threads in need of your condemnation I struggle to understand why this is the one that cant go unabashed.

There is a thread titled “BOOGER BEER” and you’ve picked this one as the line that cant be crossed?

Carry on johnnyrotten......see.....it sounds kind of nice in your inside voice

Cheers!
Thank you...and THANK YOU.

Last edited:
The subject has been pretty well covered in this thread. I agree that using what works for you is fine. No reason to fix something that ain't broke.

However, I really think new brewers who come here for advice need to see the best practices in response to their questions. It's fine to relate other than "accepted" practices, but they should be identified as such. For example: I know this isn't a widely accepted practice, but----------------, and it works for me.

I once actually filled a fermenter that had sat for a couple of weeks without sanitizing and not had a problem, but would not do this intentionally. Not only is it not a good practice, it's just asking for trouble.

I agree..really ...I agree...

Best Practices are widely accepted but I think one should know why they’re following them. You need a basic understanding of “why” so that you can apply your specific circumstances to them to arrive at what’s right for you.

Otherwise, your a slave to dogma or ancestor worship and likely missing out on maximizing your efficiency..wait...no....maximize your ABV.....uh, no...that’s not it either.........

Making the most cost effective beer possible....

Nope...that’s not right either...

Maximizing your...uh...enjoyment? Satisfaction?

Hmm..yes, I think that’s why i do this

Thank you...and THANK YOU.
I've said before my name was cocked and loaded to slap someone....reality is I think this was the first forum I joined back in 09 and didnt know what I was doing.....cats out of the bag .I should fix it........or not...I still like the backhand ready to go

Same here! I think I was on Walleye Central in my 20’s...never payed any attention to the forum but it was cool to go into the chat room....back in the day....with my 2400BPS modem and Windoze 3.2 Gateway Tower computer. The monitor weighed as much as the car I have right now.

I miss AOL...

I agree..really ...I agree...

Best Practices are widely accepted but I think one should know why they’re following them. You need a basic understanding of “why” so that you can apply your specific circumstances to them to arrive at what’s right for you.

Otherwise, your a slave to dogma or ancestor worship

The horse was widely accepted.....until Ford came around

Almost sounds like your trying to quote Denny Conn, it went something like this.....

Denny’s brewing philosophy, “making the best beer possible while having the most fun possible while doing the least work “

Denny sums it up well for me...

And if you know and appreciate the phenomena of Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols, the all caps wouldn’t bother you, but would amuse you....works for me ...

Last edited:
Almost sounds like your trying to quote Denny Conn, it went something like this.....

“Denny’s brewing philosophy of making the best beer possible while having the most fun possible while doing the least work “

That sums it up well for me...

I’m not qualified to quote Mr Conn...but if you have that printed on a 3X T-Shirt please PM me so that I may order

And if you know and appreciate the phenomena of Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols, the all caps wouldn’t bother you, but would amuse you....works for me ...

I am in your debt as I was totally oblivious to the etymology involved here.

This is such an awesome thread!!!

Thank you JOHNYROTTEN!

JONNYROTTEN, just wondering if you routinely harvest and reuse yeast from your fermenters? Seriously wondering about this. It would add to the discussion.

Cheers

This whole thread makes me laugh as I recall seeing the printed directions for Blue Label Malt Extract that was popular for home brew during prohibition, it called for scrubbing your ceramic crock fermenter with baking soda....so I guess baking soda is a cleanser / sanitizer....not sure
if it is no rinse depending on your water chemistry but likely works fairly well if your not topping up w/ septic run off lol.
Rdwhahb

Denny’s brewing philosophy, “making the best beer possible while having the most fun possible while doing the least work “

Denny sums it up well for me...

I never saw that quote before but that would sum it up for me....thanks

JONNYROTTEN, just wondering if you routinely harvest and reuse yeast from your fermenters? Seriously wondering about this. It would add to the discussion.

Cheers
I reuse my yeast on every batch till I feel its time to start over....way off topic though. Oxi has no bearing whatsoever on reusing yeast.

ROTTEN doesn't need to harvest yeast. Yeast is his beech. He snaps his fingers and it crawls out of his sump pump reservoir and into the fermentor. If it doesn't, he roundkicks it and it comes along, already oxididated. Boom.

I SAW THIS MOVIE ON NETFLIX!!!!

It was awesome

I loved the scene where the yeast ate the extract brewer

ROTTEN doesn't need to harvest yeast. Yeast is his beech. He snaps his fingers and it crawls out of his sump pump reservoir and into the fermentor. If it doesn't, he roundkicks it and it comes along, already oxididated. Boom.
I also don't do push ups...I push the world down....stole that from Chuck Norris...gotta love it

I reuse my yeast on every batch till I feel its time to start over....way off topic though. Oxi has no bearing whatsoever on reusing yeast.

Well, it does a bit. On batch 1 with the Oxi sanitation routine you may have a bacterial load that has a negligible flavour affect on your beer. However, batch 2, 3, 4 etc, gives that bacterial load a greater chance to propagate and cause problems. I'm not baiting you here, I'm genuinely curious. If you use only an Oxi cleaning with water rinse but can re-pitch over several generations I may just have to try this.

The dead guy that worked with the British guy (billy something i think) that did oxiclean commercials years ago, ate or drank some of it to show how safe it was. But it was never marketed as a food utensil or dishes product so i'm sure they would hesitate to designate it as food safe. That probably involves all kinds of government agencies and rules.
Billy Maze, died from an oxi-clean OD. Possibly some other white powder.
The horse was widely accepted.....until Ford came around
So was a standard secondary transfer.

I clean my equipment very soon after I've finished using it. Then I let it air dry for however long it is until I use it again. Currently, before using it again, I don't re-clean it, but I do steralize it. Is that what others here do as well?

So, Johnny, I guess you clean your equipment once, whenever that is, and that's it. You don't touch it again to either clean or sanitize it prior to using it again? Or do you clean/sanitize it again with Oxiclean just prior to using it again?

So I received a notification for a post being deleted from this thread for not being on topic and this is considered on topic? :confused:

I clean my equipment very soon after I've finished using it. Then I let it air dry for however long it is until I use it again. Currently, before using it again, I don't re-clean it, but I do steralize it. Is that what others here do as well?

So, Johnny, I guess you clean your equipment once, whenever that is, and that's it. You don't touch it again to either clean or sanitize it prior to using it again? Or do you clean/sanitize it again with Oxiclean just prior to using it again?
My system is: After transfering I reuse the yeast or dump it depending on what I need/want. I clean out my fermenter bucket with the SCRATCHY side of the sponge and really get on it till it looks clean. Nothing else. Come brew day I break out the bucket fill it up with water and a half scoop of OXI. Let it soak during the brew day, 4 hours give or take, rinse with shower head tub water right before racking to bucket and call it a day....has never let me down...not once....your mileage may vary but I'm convinced deep cleans are more important than a final spritz of Star San ....but thats me....If ya got a spray bottle of Star San give your fermenter a spritz if you want...never said it can hurt

Last edited:

Thats what I do. Clean immediately after use, it may sit for how ever long, and then sanitize right before use...

Not sure if the correct term would be "food safe" or "food rated" or maybe something else entirely.

Not sure if the correct term would be "food safe" or "food rated" or maybe something else entirely.
I've never cared to look, but I don't recall any food safe markings on pbw, star-san, iodofor, bleach, dish soap, borax or washing soda eithr, but all are deemed, "GRAS" by fda: Generally Regarded As Safe.

Should I use Oxiclean in the 100-160F water temperature range, like so many of the other cleaners? Or is it different that way?

Reporting back: Tried it at 160F in a 5L Erlenmeyer flask.

Lesson #1: Leave lots of head space, because this stuff bubble-foams like crazy. Definitely unlike the stuff I was using before.

Reporting back: Tried it at 160F in a 5L Erlenmeyer flask.

Lesson #1: Leave lots of head space, because this stuff bubble-foams like crazy. Definitely unlike the stuff I was using before.
I never had any foaming issues. I think the top one or 2 inches foams right after filling my 5 gallon buckets but it settles to nothing after a bit. The only real foam issues had was using star san in a keg. It foamed forever. It was like one of those old fashioned snakes you light on fire and keeps getting bigger. That was the first and only time I ever used Star San in a keg.

I've never tested the temp of the water either. I just use warm/hotish to the touch water

I never had any foaming issues. I think the top one or 2 inches foams right after filling my 5 gallon buckets but it settles to nothing after a bit. The only real foam issues had was using star san in a keg. It foamed forever. It was like one of those old fashioned snakes you light on fire and keeps getting bigger. That was the first and only time I ever used Star San in a keg.

I've never tested the temp of the water either. I just use warm/hotish to the touch water
You are supposed to add cold water in to the container you are filling and THEN add the StarSan mixing gently. If you pour water on star san it will foam like a mother !@#$

Oxyclean foams alot when I add hot tap water. I wait for the foam to subside and then fill to the top with more hot water

Back