Other Half Daydream (oat cream IPAs) - all grain clone attempts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because everyone seems to be adding lactose to these beers anyway I figured if I need to bump up the alcohol with dextrose I can simply add a bit more lactose to reach my desired fg. Correct me but by my understanding pillowy mouthfeel or whatever you want to call it is largely a result of residual sugars (and to a lesser extent high chloride and maybe particulate from oats in this style?). So does it really matter if some more of the residual sugars are from malt or lactose? At what point would mouthfeel be percievably different if you had a really dry beer, say a pure pilsner malt with an fg of 1.008 that was then jam packed with lactose to bring it up to 1.02 vs an oat cream ipa?

Apologies if this is all a bit basic for this thread, you guys are well above my level!

Last edited:
Well, I finally took a stab at this recipe (or a variation of it). Shout out to @MrPowers as I took most of his ideas on grain bill, step mash approach, and hop bill for this beer.

Grain Bill:
~48% 2-row
~24% malted oats
~13% flaked oats
~13% white wheat
~3% Carahell
0.5lb of dextrose added to boil

Hops: Columbus (mostly all on hot side) and Galaxy (mostly all on cold side).
Yeast: A24 - this is the first time I really made an attempt to "under" pitch. Pitch rate ended up being 0.62 from brewers friend calcs. Pitched and held at 68 degrees for 24 hrs and then let er rip to 74-75 at the high end. I normally just did the standard 0.75 pitch rates at 72-73ish for A24 prior to this one.

FG finished at 1.013 (8% ABV) and this beer is fantastic! Plenty of tropical sweetness and not dry at all. I love the fuller body and mouthfeel of this and is dangerous because you cannot taste any of the alcohol at all. For the first time - I got a beautiful ester profile of peach! The hydro sample prior to dry hopping a lot of galaxy was easily the best hydro sample I ever had. Took about 2 full weeks for the beer to fully mature and condition due to the 6.75oz of galaxy in the dry hop. This is truly an awesomely smooth tropical/stone fruit extravaganza! One of my favorite beers to date.

IMG_7369.jpg
IMG_7371.jpg

Well, I finally took a stab at this recipe (or a variation of it). Shout out to @MrPowers as I took most of his ideas on grain bill, step mash approach, and hop bill for this beer.

Grain Bill:
~48% 2-row
~24% malted oats
~13% flaked oats
~13% white wheat
~3% Carahell

Yeast: A24 - this is the first time I really made an attempt to "under" pitch. Pitch rate ended up being 0.62 from brewers friend calcs. Pitched and held at 68 degrees for 24 hrs and then let er rip to 74-75 at the high end. I normally just did the standard 0.75 pitch rates at 72-73ish for A24 prior to this one.

FG finished at 1.013 (8% ABV) and this beer is fantastic! Plenty of tropical sweetness and not dry at all. I love the fuller body and mouthfeel of this and is dangerous because you cannot taste any of the alcohol at all. For the first time - I got a beautiful ester profile of peach! The hydro sample prior to dry hopping a lot of galaxy was easily the best hydro sample I ever had. Took about 2 full weeks for the beer to fully mature and condition due to the 6.75oz of galaxy in the dry hop. This is truly an awesomely smooth tropical/stone fruit extravaganza! One of my favorite beers to date.

View attachment 689696View attachment 689697
Glad you got the ester profile with A24. Its all about the under pitch and temp drive. It’s awesome man! Beer looks good!

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I believe @couchsending mentioned in the past. I had heard of it then, but haven’t used yet either.

I’ve used it a handful of times. First saw it mentioned a while ago when Surly used it in Abrasive I believe. Similar sugar profile to malt but without adding more malt flavor. Seen pics of it being used at Treehouse. I don’t really use it anymore and I rarely make beer over 6.5% so I don’t really think it’s necessary. Not sure it makes much sense below an 8% beer personally.

Glad you got the ester profile with A24. Its all about the under pitch and temp drive. It’s awesome man! Beer looks good!
Thanks man! yes Ive seen your posts about driving A24 for sure. Being new and always overbuilding my yeast starters by 100ml (using brew united) I seem to have always pitched more than anticipated when I enter the data into brewers friend and it tells me the actual pitch rate. For this one, I decided to forgo the overbuilding and just used brewers friend to tell me what I needed to add for DME to get about 0.6 for a pitch rate. Ive also been chickens**t to push the temps high out of fear of the unknown fusels range lol. Nevertheless - I now know what the ester profile of A24 can really be since I tasted the hydrometer sample at FG and prior to dry hopping a lot of galaxy. Honestly at the time, I was fearful that a large galaxy dry hop would overshadow the great ester profile I just achieved. On keg day, it was all galaxy - not really harsh but green for sure - but with conditioning and melowing, the peach ester really shined. No going back on this schedule now! lol.

Grain Bill:
~48% 2-row
~24% malted oats
~13% flaked oats
~13% white wheat
~3% Carahell

View attachment 689696View attachment 689697
I'm glad the grain bill and hop schedule worked out well for you! That looks like a really delicious beer!

I just finally pulled the last two pints of mine last night and it held up really well until the last glass (I naturally carbed with CBC1). I really wouldn't change this grain bill at all for an Oat DIPA. It seems like it is a perfect grain bill to play around with different hops and yeasts!

I'm glad the grain bill and hop schedule worked out well for you! That looks like a really delicious beer!

I just finally pulled the last two pints of mine last night and it held up really well until the last glass (I naturally carbed with CBC1). I really wouldn't change this grain bill at all for an Oat DIPA. It seems like it is a perfect grain bill to play around with different hops and yeasts!
Any thoughts on how a potential lactose additon would play with that grain bill? A local brewery here in Melbourne that does excellent Oatcream IPAs told me they use 4% lactose in an 8% beer.

Any thoughts on how a potential lactose additon would play with that grain bill? A local brewery here in Melbourne that does excellent Oatcream IPAs told me they use 4% lactose in an 8% beer.
If you look back in this loooong thread, many people use the lactose as Other Half, from what I understand, uses LOTS of oats and lactose in this daydream series but I haven't had them myself to taste. But in my earlier post - I intentionally left out the lactose for this go round because I never used this much oats and wheat (~50% combined) in a single beer before for the grain bill so I wanted to see what the grain bill had to offer before trying it with lactose.

I have never used lactose in a beer before, so I can’t say!

Which brewery? I’d love to know what Mr. Banks are doing.

BREWERS CRYSTALS: I use them quite regularly at the brewery - they are always good to have on hand to correct lower efficiency issues if they arise in the brewhouse.

Besides that, I have used them for RIS/Barleywine to get mine from 1.130 to 1.150+ with little to no perceivable flavor impact (generally this adds up to 10% of my total extract)

BREWERS CRYSTALS: I use them quite regularly at the brewery - they are always good to have on hand to correct lower efficiency issues if they arise in the brewhouse.

Besides that, I have used them for RIS/Barleywine to get mine from 1.130 to 1.150+ with little to no perceivable flavor impact (generally this adds up to 10% of my total extract)
What is the difference with using a light dme extract? Absolutely no srm or flavor difference?

I heard them say in a podcast that they use White Labs yeast but not which strain
Not sure on the yeast, I know they've used gy054 before but weren't fussed on it. If whitelabs, I would hazard a guess at London Fog. Ive seen gladfield lager light and malted oats in there before. Cake Eater series uses 4% lactose. They are really generous with sharing info so if you emailed them im sure you would get an answer.

What is the difference with using a light dme extract? Absolutely no srm or flavor difference?

Pretty much no 'malt' flavor like you would get from DME.
SRM: maybe? I use such little amounts for gravity correction, and the larger amounts are in very dark beers. I would say it is definitely lighter than any kind of DME.

Going to brew my newest edition of a Double Oat Cream ipa this weekend.

Grains;
49% - Pilsner
38% - Malted oats
10% - White Wheat
3% - Honey malt

Mash: 152*f

Hops:
Citra
Citra LUPOMAX
Strata
Idaho 7

Boil: Citra
WH: Idaho7 & Citra (3:1)
DH: Strata & Citra LUPOMAX (1:2)

Yeast: Imperial juice

I will update with the finished product

Grains;
49% - Pilsner
38% - Malted oats
10% - White Wheat
3% - Honey malt

Hops:
Citra
Citra LUPOMAX
Strata
Idaho 7

No lactose?

I feel the same way. I only asked because it’s often thought of as the cream in the oat cream beers.
I didn't use lactose in my first venture into this "oat cream" style beer because I simply wanted to know how big this body would be with just the ~50% oats/wheat. Its huge and I dare say "creamy" lol. Malted oats certainly help with that creaminess I think. My attempt exceeded my expectations and I really don't think I want to add the lactose now on future batches.

Grains;
49% - Pilsner
38% - Malted oats
10% - White Wheat
3% - Honey malt

Hops:
Citra
Citra LUPOMAX
Strata
Idaho 7

great hop combo, heavy I7 in WP is awesome. Curious to see how you like the lupomax. I know strata is heavy on the oil content which is im sure why you used a 1:2 ratio of strata/citra to get a better even split?

great hop combo, heavy I7 in WP is awesome. Curious to see how you like the lupomax. I know strata is heavy on the oil content which is im sure why you used a 1:2 ratio of strata/citra to get a better even split?
That was the idea behind the ratio, saw strata can have up to 3.5ml/100gr which is pretty serious. I planned this recipei using all t90 but since the AUS hops became available I figured I’d buy 4 oz of LUPOMAX to see how it plays out and am going to throw it all in dryhop.

Grains;
49% - Pilsner
38% - Malted oats
10% - White Wheat
3% - Honey malt

Hops:
Citra
Citra LUPOMAX
Strata
Idaho 7

Looks like a good recipe, even though I hate that yeast 😜. Idaho 7 in the WP comes through hard and Strata is amazing. Curious how it turns out. I know it’s not uncommon for them to mash high, like 160. What’s your water profile for this? I know they recommend very high chloride but I never have great luck with that.

Looks like a good recipe, even though I hate that yeast 😜. Idaho 7 in the WP comes through hard and Strata is amazing. Curious how it turns out. I know it’s not uncommon for them to mash high, like 160. What’s your water profile for this? I know they recommend very high chloride but I never have great luck with that.
How high did you go and what didnt you like?

I used juice since they use LAIII ( I think it’s their house strain but I don’t want to make full on assumptions) and I love imperial yeast so I try to use their versions of other popular yeast any time I can.

when it comes to mash temp, Ive found my beers actually come off softer and lighter on the pallet (not thin) when they finish around 1.012-1.014. Ive recently degassed some treehouse and trillium, and they seemed to be in that range. Also I read some social media response from Sam at OH to a hb asking about their beers and he said mash low 150. The strain is also not a great attenuator, so all things combined put me on the lower end of the scale

water profile isn’t set in stone but will be close to;
Ca: 90-100
Mg: 10-15
Cl: 160-175
Na: 70-80
So4: 100-120

Last edited:
541E6F97-C060-40A1-9E25-62BBAA78BB75.jpeg

My latest attempt. An 8% Oat Cream IIPA with Citra & Citra Cryo.

It’s under attenuated a bit so it’s on the sweet side but my goodness is it good. Smooth, juicy, delicious. I am fully converted on Malted Oats, I can’t see myself not using them in any hazy beer ever again. My first foray into Cryo hops and I’m in love.

I'll be brewing one in the coming days. Tentative name is Oats vs. Wheat. Grainbill is as follows:
  • 50% Brewer's 2-Row
  • 25% Malted Oats
  • 25% White Wheat
Yeast will be 1318. I brew 2.5G batches since it's just my wife and I who drink my homebrews. I have quantities of Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, and Strata. I have never used Strata and think I may crack my bag of it open. Was thinking Citra and Strata.

Anybody have experience with Strata? What amounts should I go with in the WP and DH?

Last edited:
I'll be brewing one in the coming days. Tentative name is Oats vs. Wheat. Grainbill is as follows:
  • 50% Brewer's 2-Row
  • 25% Malted Oats
  • 25% White Wheat
Yeast will be 1318. I brew 2.5G batches since it's just my wife and I who drink my homebrews. I have quantities of Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, and Strata. I have never used Strata and think I may crack my bag of it open. Was thinking Citra and Strata.

Anybody have experience with Strata? What amounts should I go with in the WP and DH?
While I haven't brewed exclusively with citra and strata together, I hear its a great combo. Just remember though that if you want more of an even citra/strata combo, go heavier on citra because strata has VERY high oil content. I do like the "wafting" cannabis aroma that strata brings to the table.

Grains;
49% - Pilsner
38% - Malted oats
10% - White Wheat
3% - Honey malt

Hops:
Citra
Citra LUPOMAX
Strata
Idaho 7

What's your water profile lookin' like on this one? Thanks!

What's your water profile lookin' like on this one? Thanks!
I’m not fully decided, reviewing some of my notes in beers with high oat grainbills to see if I made any water chem notes on them, but it will be close to;
Ca: 90-100
Mg: 10-15
Cl: 150-175
Na: 70-80
So4: 100-125

Hey All, Long time homebrewer, first time writing!
Firstly, this is an amazing thread! Thank you all!

Can I get some thoughts on brewing oat creams with a lower Ca. Like 50-60ppm? I see @Dgallo you're thinking of the 90-100. Why have you chosen this bracket and not lower?
With Na somewhere 70-80ppm i'm assuming you're using NaCl for Cl.

Also @Dgallo what grams/L hop rate do you use for WP + DryHop?

Hey All, Long time homebrewer, first time writing!
Firstly, this is an amazing thread! Thank you all!

Can I get some thoughts on brewing oat creams with a lower Ca. Like 50-60ppm? I see @Dgallo you're thinking of the 90-100. Why have you chosen this bracket and not lower?
With Na somewhere 70-80ppm i'm assuming you're using NaCl for Cl.

Also @Dgallo what grams/L hop rate do you use for WP + DryHop?
to be honest, Ive always had my calcium in the low 90 range for my NEIPAs including this one, but not sure why lol. As far as the hop rates go, I think it also depends on your overall ABV in addition to the fact that this beer has ~50% oats/wheat. I wanted a "double" version of this beer which came out to 8% abv. I used 8oz for a 5gallon finished batch in the fermenter for dry hop rate and went with 4.5oz in WP and 1.5oz in boil kettle = 14oz total for a beer thats 8%abv and has ~50% oats/wheat. Its a HUGE mouthfeel/body overall so it handled these hopping rates with ease IMO.

@Noob_Brewer that 25gpl of hops! Nice. I'll factor that into the recipe I'm putting together.

Does any drop their NEIPA calcium back to ~50ppm?
Another question that has sprung to mind. Are you guys measuring pre/post kettle pH?
If so what are you aiming towards? For this next beer I'm putting together, I'm wanting the pH of the finished beer (post DH) to be 4.5. Any suggestions on what I should shoot for going into the fermenter?

@Noob_Brewer that 25gpl of hops! Nice. I'll factor that into the recipe I'm putting together.

Does any drop their NEIPA calcium back to ~50ppm?
Another question that has sprung to mind. Are you guys measuring pre/post kettle pH?
If so what are you aiming towards? For this next beer I'm putting together, I'm wanting the pH of the finished beer (post DH) to be 4.5. Any suggestions on what I should shoot for going into the fermenter?
gpl? is that grams per liter? haven't done the conversion myself but if 14oz total for a 5gallon finished batch equates to 25gpl or not lol. I have only really targeted ph in the mash (about 5.35ish is my usual target) and haven't confirmed what my post boil or finished beers ph are. Perhaps its worth it to see.

Back