OSB beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
Need to vent a little here.....

So my 20 month old linoleum lizard in all his helpful glory decided that my Surly Furious clone needed some additional flavor from some OSB (Oriented Strand Board). I was changing out some under cabinet lights in the kitchen while my wife was relaxing in the bedroom (to many micro brews at Winterfest last night:mug::mug:) Any who, he come walking out of my storage facility (spare bed room closet) and proudly presents to me an empty air lock. This is a common occurrence so I thanked him for his help, and we went back to the bed room to replace it. To my dismay and horror, he removed some of the osb flakes off of what is to soon be his " big boy" bed's mattress support, and placed them nicely in the fermenter. After a scream and a few curse words, I settled down and racked the beer off the new dry hopping addition. All in all it was on pine for about 20 minutes, to a half hour.
Any bets on if I end up with a brett infection?

OSB goes through a lot of processes before it makes it into your home. One of the processes essentially cooks it, another adds a glue that should kill most biologics. Those two should make short work of most things that will get into your beer. Also, OSB is, like you say, mostly pine and not likely to harbor many bugs anyway...

Now, onto the bad news. Things like to hang out on your hands and, most likely, your son's hands more than on wood. That being said, and assuming the beer had a good colony of yeast, I wouldn't sweat it. The yeast and alcohol and lack of oxygen will, in all likelihood, overcome anything that was on the wood.

You may pick up a very subtle flavor of the glue and wood, but I highly doubt it. 20 - 30 mins isn't that long to be in contact.

Good luck!

Back