Ordering Bulk Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried them but fiftypoundsack.com is said to have good prices. I haven't heard much about them lately so check 'em out first.

When you add shipping I can not beat my LHBS's. The best route, if you can get involved, is to join a group buy. I haven't been able to be available for deliveries so I haven't done one yet.

I haven't tried them but fiftypoundsack.com is said to have good prices. I haven't heard much about them lately so check 'em out first.

When you add shipping I can not beat my LHBS's. The best route, if you can get involved, is to join a group buy. I haven't been able to be available for deliveries so I haven't done one yet.

Sounds like a website I would not want to go to haha but I'll check it out.
I know northern brewer has 50 lb. bags for $35 but the shipping is $20 which is way too high

Sounds like a website I would not want to go to haha but I'll check it out.
I know northern brewer has 50 lb. bags for $35 but the shipping is $20 which is way too high

At Morebeer you used to be able to just place the order in ten pound increments to order in bulk and get free shipping but they may have since changed that. But I'd been known to order 100lbs on ten lb bags and get free shipping.

Check with your LHBS. They may order with their regular shipment and their freight cost may make them the cheapest by the time all costs are calculated.

Check with your LHBS. They may order with their regular shipment and their freight cost may make them the cheapest by the time all costs are calculated.

This^^^^

Even if you have to drive a ways - buying a few sacks, with no shipping, is almost ALWAYS going to give you the best deal, even if the price of the grain is a bit higher. That said, if there is just no way to buy something relatively local, the above suggestions are good ones.

in order of cheapness (from my experience, prices include shipping)

local group buys, by far the cheapest - I recently paid $0.80/lb for base malt and $0.94/lb for specialty malt

LHBS - I once bought a sac from my LHBS in a pinch for $1.00/lb for base malt, they were awesome to work with

morebeer.com - $1.13/lb for base if you buy in bulk (free shipping I think)

fiftypoundsack.com - $1.36/lb of base malt (also free shipping)

Look into group buys first, then call your LHBS - most of them are willing to work with home brewers since that's how they started out, after that try the online stuff.

The group buys that occur in my area are every six months +/- so I plan/buy accordingly, except the last time I went a little nuts to help fill the pallet.

Hope that was helpful and that it put some numbers to the task.

Latest posts

Back