One out of two beers not carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedutchtouch

Reaction score
So... Relative newbie to homebrew kegging, please help me understand/figure out something. I brewed a blood orange belgian wheat, and a zombie dust clone. The wheat beer is pretty much fully carbed at this point, however the ZD clone is barely carbed at all. This disappoints me because the wheat isn't that great, and the ZD is delicious even flat.

I kegged both on 2/6, regulator is set to 12 psi, my kegerator is temperature controlled at 39 degrees. This should give me 2.5 volumes CO2. Due to my setup (single regulator with 4 way manifold) I cannot deliver different pressures to each keg, so thought this would be the best compromise between an IPA and a wheat. I am sure both kegs are receiving equal co2. What's going on here, does a higher gravity beer take longer to carb up?

How are you sure that both are receiving equal co2. Maybe switch disconnects?

Good call. I am "sure" because I have tested both disconnects, and know both lines are not closed/clogged I have no way of quantifying it, but there does seem to be equal amounts of CO2 when I pull the release valve, but if have no idea if sound/duration relates to pressure. I changed the disconnects anyway to see if it makes a difference.

I use something like this pressure release valve attached to a QD to measure the pressure. It found (or at least I came to believe) that one of my kegs was not receiving the same pressure do to a poppet that had too much spring (i.e. wrong type of poppet installed along the way). Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

!!!co2.JPG

Well, after messing with the lines and switching them, the IPA is now carbonating much faster. I don't really understand what happened, perhaps I didn't have the quick release on correctly or something, all I know is my beer is carbonating now. Will have to try different combinations of kegs/disconnects in the future to nail down where the issue actually is.

Back