Official Blending Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's that you say... you have a completely flat barleywine you don't know what to do with?

Flatitude (2011 Gratitude) + 6yr Saz Rye + Vanilla Extract + 2014 Bigfoot (to add carbonation)

All blended to taste. It turned out surprisingly good. I would do this again but fortunately this is my last bottle of Flatitude. It also sucks that I opened a bigfoot and blended in whiskey so the abv for the night isn't in my favor.

20160104_214119.jpg

What's that you say... you have a completely flat barleywine you don't know what to do with?

Flatitude (2011 Gratitude) + 6yr Saz Rye + Vanilla Extract + 2014 Bigfoot (to add carbonation)

All blended to taste. It turned out surprisingly good. I would do this again but fortunately this is my last bottle of Flatitude. It also sucks that I opened a bigfoot and blended in whiskey so the abv for the night isn't in my favor.

20160104_214119.jpg
Honestly, the last bottle of Flatitude I opened tasted fine without the bubbles, but only in small pours :)

Honestly, the last bottle of Flatitude I opened tasted fine without the bubbles, but only in small pours :)

It doesn't have a bad taste but I can't imagine drinking a 750 of this by myself without the additions.

DBCBCS... did a 1:1 ratio (3 oz to 3 oz) on NYE. Didn't get time to mess with ratios - Dropped the rest of the BCBS in a red cup for mobility...

Would probably try a 2:1 (GI:OB) if I were to play around again.

16bbkvm.jpg

Yeah man. 2:1 works so much better,doesn't kill the body on the bcbs. But you still get that coconut kick!!!!

Yeah man. 2:1 works so much better,doesn't kill the body on the bcbs. But you still get that coconut kick!!!!

Nice - yeah that was the thing for me, 1:1 really killed the viscosity for me (given my personal preference). Though, to be fair, I didn't have a problem crushing the 1:1 mix in a few minutes...

Hello all. Usually just lurk but decided to make an account.

My favorite by far was 2014 fou with Pulling Nails B2 at a 70/30 ratio. Honestly it was one of the greatest things I've ever tasted.

1/2 tablespoon of HF BA maple syrup into a snifter of BCBS. Get all that maple flavor without mortgaging your beer cellar for the latest BA maple stout hotness.

fwmmAGv.jpg
How did you "mix" them? I would think maple syrup wouldn't blend well with beer

How did you "mix" them? I would think maple syrup wouldn't blend well with beer

Added the beer first, and stirred vigorously with a spoon while I drizzled in the syrup from a 1/2 tbsp measurement. It seemed to blend well enough. In particular, there was no visible syrup residue or clumping left in the bottom of the glass when I was done.

Added the beer first, and stirred vigorously with a spoon while I drizzled in the syrup from a 1/2 tbsp measurement. It seemed to blend well enough. In particular, there was no visible syrup residue or clumping left in the bottom of the glass when I was done.

I have been slacking on the pictures but ever since I read this I have been putting bourbon barrel aged maple syrup in a bunch of bottles. I think bourbon maple syrup might make every stout and barleywine better.

Last edited:
Time to get real about this. Blending is the solution to a lot of our problems, and can also enhance an already incredible beer experience. Some great starting combos:

IPAs + AWA
IPAs + Lambic/Gueuze
Bourbon + Stout or Strong Ale
Vanilla Bean/Extract + Stout
Bourbon Stout + fruited AWA

So please post your blending techniques here, and please note the success/failure of the experiment(s) as well. I'm not doing this for all of you, I'm doing this for myself. This should help save me a lot of time and money.
I've got a keg of pretty unspectacular homebrewed IPA that I've been trying to float. It's decent on it's own, but after I remembered your suggestion here it's been much better. Tonight I've blended it with Cuvee Rene and a homebrewed Berliner. Cruising right along. Thanks.

Not sure if I'm doing this right. CW Coffee Stout, a drizzle of Elijah Craig, about a dozen used oak cubes, and a pinch of wine tannin. Poor man's barrel aging program...

laFbPW.jpg

How's the union by itself? Free on 10/15? If so, msg me. Good things going at
mi casa..
Not on the level of Double Duckpin but It's solid. Roasty and juicy if you like that sort of thing. This is the first year I've seen it in cans; I'd recommend picking up a 6pk if you see it.

Thanks for the invite. I'll check the calendar and message you

Last edited:
Back