Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whambulance3.jpg

Sadly I'm thinking the Pack has a good chance at taking it this year. I will be surrounded by so much green and Yellow celebration... ugh lol:cross:

The DUI, I don't know what is said about that in the ruling BUT weed is against the rules and has been for a very long time. So it is ok to break this rule because it is just weed?

You missed my point. I'd put Hernandez's murder in the same category with the weed and DUI. They're all misdeeds/crimes/whatever committed by players off-field that have zero direct impact on the game. The NFL chooses to punish for off-field behavior (above and beyond the punishments already handed down by society), but there's no reason those punishments need to correlate with punishments for misbehavior that impacts the game directly (PEDs, Bountygate, Deflategate, etc.)

It's silly to say "Player X got a four game suspension for beating his kid, Brady's infraction was way less severe." Of course it was. Beating your wife or kid is objectively worse than even the worst forms of cheating, and football is just a game after all. But that doesn't mean that the NFL doesn't have a special interest in protecting the integrity of the game rules. So it doesn't seem strange to me that the DUI/weed guy gets a lighter punishment from the National Football League than the guy that cheated at football.

This thing will drag on. Ultimately the suspension will be upheld. Brady will miss the first 4 games of the season. Course he will be 46 by then, and have a ring for every finger of both hands, but you will have your justice.

This thing will drag on. Ultimately the suspension will be upheld. Brady will miss the first 4 games of the season. Course he will be 46 by then, and have a ring for every finger of both hands, but you will have your justice.

It would be interesting if they stay Brady's suspension pending a court appeal and then he misses game in mid/late this season instead when it's upheld. I imagine the Pats would not be in love with that option. Either way, we'll all get to keep talking about deflategate instead of whatever the Pats have going on this season.

For those of you whining saying this shouldn't be about the breaking of the phone, it should be about balls, I want you to think about this....

The collective bargaining agreement that Brady signed says that he will cooperate fully with the investigation. Breaking the phone is a direct violation of that in my opinion. So he did both, cheat in a way that directly affects the game, and something against the union rules.

For those of you whining saying this shouldn't be about the breaking of the phone, it should be about balls, I want you to think about this....

The collective bargaining agreement that Brady signed says that he will cooperate fully with the investigation. Breaking the phone is a direct violation of that in my opinion. So he did both, cheat in a way that directly affects the game, and something against the union rules.

Your opinion is dumb.

It would be interesting if they stay Brady's suspension pending a court appeal and then he misses game in mid/late this season instead when it's upheld. I imagine the Pats would not be in love with that option. Either way, we'll all get to keep talking about deflategate instead of whatever the Pats have going on this season.

What is this court that you are speaking of? Deflate gate isn't a legal investigation and it doesn't involve the legal system. Goodell can and will make up the rules if he wants to, and there's not very much anyone can do.

What is this court that you are speaking of? Deflate gate isn't a legal investigation and it doesn't involve the legal system. Goodell can and will make up the rules if he wants to, and there's not very much anyone can do.

His lawyers are planning or at least reportedly planning to sue the NFL over the ruling.

If that is a clause in his agreement, then fine him for that. The punishment for that and the actual appeal should be separate. There are two issues here. The first one is obviously whether or not he purposely had balls deflated under 12.5psi. The second is not cooperating with the investigation. Him not cooperating with the investigation should have nothing to do with the appeal. Goodell should hear the facts about the actual deflating of the football and make a ruling on that. Then, if that agreement does exist, make a ruling on not cooperating. The Chargers were fined $20k for not giving up towels. So fine him $20k for not giving up his phone.

His lawyers are planning or at least reportedly planning to sue the NFL over the ruling.

What are the rules on that? I believe if a player appeals a punishment and would have to serve a suspension right away, they actually don't serve the suspension until the appeal is over. Is it the same with going to court? Or did I just make that whole thing up lol

If that is a clause in his agreement, then fine him for that. The punishment for that and the actual appeal should be separate.

Fine, he gets two games for flattening his balls and two games for being a moron and breaking his phone. Is that separate enough?

What are the rules on that? I believe if a player appeals a punishment and would have to serve a suspension right away, they actually don't serve the suspension until the appeal is over. Is it the same with going to court? Or did I just make that whole thing up lol

The court could issue an injunction which would stop the punishment from being able to be enacted until after their ruling.

The real problem with that being an actually valid option is Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, which confirms the Commissioner’s authority to impose discipline for conduct by a player that is ‘detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football

Basically Brady signed a form that says the commissioner's decision is final and should be upheld. So it's hard to argue that he agreed with it then, but doesn't now.

The court could issue an injunction which would stop the punishment from being able to be enacted until after their ruling.

The real problem with that being an actually valid option is Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, which confirms the Commissioner’s authority to impose discipline for conduct by a player that is ‘detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football

Basically Brady signed a form that says the commissioner's decision is final and should be upheld. So it's hard to argue that he agreed with it then, but doesn't now.

I may have read an old CBA but I don't take Article 46 to me the commissioner's say is final. To me it seems like it is stating the order in which things happen and the timeline that must follow. It also doesn't mention anything about what happens if it goes through appeal and into court. I'm sure at the end of the day Goodell has the power to do what he wants.

On a side note, the CBA has some interesting stuff in it. They get $113 a day for meals on traveling days...because the millions they get paid isn't enough. They also get paid almost $200k if your team wins the 3 playoff games and the SB.

EDIT: It looks like the NFLPA does plan to file and has asked the court to make a decision before the first game or to grant an injunction to let him play until a decision is made.

they really need to get this done by Aug 29th, so I can decide if Brady is going to be my back up qb for Rodgers.

Seeing as their bye week is week 7, I think you are safe in getting Brady as your back up. If nothing else, it stops someone else from getting him. Then you can trade him after week 7.

I may have read an old CBA but I don't take Article 46 to me the commissioner's say is final. To me it seems like it is stating the order in which things happen and the timeline that must follow. It also doesn't mention anything about what happens if it goes through appeal and into court. I'm sure at the end of the day Goodell has the power to do what he wants.

On a side note, the CBA has some interesting stuff in it. They get $113 a day for meals on traveling days...because the millions they get paid isn't enough. They also get paid almost $200k if your team wins the 3 playoff games and the SB.

EDIT: It looks like the NFLPA does plan to file and has asked the court to make a decision before the first game or to grant an injunction to let him play until a decision is made.

(d) Decision. As soon as practicable following the conclusion of the
hear-ing, the hearing officer will render a written decision which will
constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute and will be
binding upon the player(s), Club(s) and the parties to this Agreement with
respect to that dispute. Any discipline imposed pur-suant to Section 1(b)
may only be affirmed, reduced, or vacated by the hearing officer, and may
not be increased.

sub section d of Article 46. The hearing offer being Goodell on this one of course. Just how I'm reading it, and I'm no lawyer, but the hearing officer has given his decision, and it is binding. Only he would be able to change said ruling as per the signed agreement, no?

(d) Decision. As soon as practicable following the conclusion of the
hear-ing, the hearing officer will render a written decision which will
constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute and will be
binding upon the player(s), Club(s) and the parties to this Agreement with
respect to that dispute. Any discipline imposed pur-suant to Section 1(b)
may only be affirmed, reduced, or vacated by the hearing officer, and may
not be increased.

sub section d of Article 46. The hearing offer being Goodell on this one of course. Just how I'm reading it, and I'm no lawyer, but the hearing officer has given his decision, and it is binding. Only he would be able to change said ruling as per the signed agreement, no?

Interesting take on it. I see what you mean. I took that as the hearing officer can only reduce or remove the penalty but not increase it. Your reading it as only the hearing officer can change the sentence and no one else.

What's funny is that the folks who do have a right to the texts and emails that were on his phone (ie, the courts) can still get that info by subpoenaing his carrier for the electronic information. Breaking it did nothing other than prevent him from physically handing over the device to a party who had no legal grounds to ask for it in the first place.

Also, didn't Favre get fined like $50k for not cooperating, coincidentally by not turning over his phone, in that dumbaz sexting scam a few years back? $50k vs a quarter season suspension sound at all even to anyone here?

Hell, since the NFL is completely convinced of both Brady's guilt in the matter and his lack of cooperation, they would've been absolutely right to throw the book at him by following precedent / the damn rulebook: $25k fine for the rules infraction as stated in the rulebook, and $50k for failure to cooperate. Hell, round it up to a full $100k to show you mean business and to set a reasonable new precedent. But a combined $1 million, 2 draft picks, and a quarter season suspension? Come on, man.

Also, didn't Favre get fined like $50k for not cooperating, coincidentally by not turning over his phone, in that dumbaz sexting scam a few years back? $50k vs a quarter season suspension sound at all even to anyone here?

This has been covered thoroughly already. Brady and the Pats got slammed because the NFL believed there was a conspiracy with Pats employees and players (Brady) to circumvent NFL rules. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence but nothing that would hold up in a legal court, which is not what the NFL is holding their appeals process to. A player acting on his own wouldn't be a major issue; it's the involvement of team employees that pisses the NFL off so much. Sanctity of the shield, blah blah blah.

Also if you think texting dick picks is on the same level as what Brady and the Pats employees are accused of doing then you're nuts.

From the greatest QB ever to play the game:

"I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

"Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong."

Also if you think texting dick picks is on the same level as what Brady and the Pats employees are accused of doing then you're nuts.

Granted - but hasn't it been repeated ad nauseam at this point that Brady's part of the punishment is so severe primarily because of his alleged lack of cooperation? Again, in this case, separate out the two pieces of the punishment:

Assume guilt in the rules violation: $25k fine as per the rulebook

Fine for lack of cooperation due to not turning over the phone (apparently they didn't know he destroyed the thing until WELL after the punishment was handed down, so the destruction, while suspicious, shouldn't even play into this): $50k as per the Favre precedent.

Look at the two items they're penalizing him for, and this is what logic would deem is appropriate. I mean, on the failure to comply thing, you've got precedent. On the manipulation of equipment thing, you've got the damn rulebook. Where does the escalation of what should be a $75k fine to the equivalent of several million and a pair of draft picks between him and the team come from? That's going nuclear, plain and simple.

Where does the escalation of what should be a $75k fine to the equivalent of several million and a pair of draft picks between him and the team come from? That's going nuclear, plain and simple.

I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote before since you didn't read it:

This has been covered thoroughly already. Brady and the Pats got slammed because the NFL believed there was a conspiracy with Pats employees and players (Brady) to circumvent NFL rules. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence but nothing that would hold up in a legal court, which is not what the NFL is holding their appeals process to. A player acting on his own wouldn't be a major issue; it's the involvement of team employees that pisses the NFL off so much. Sanctity of the shield, blah blah blah.

Back