Oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarcha

Reaction score
Hi all

I purchased an outmeal stout a few months back, does any one know how long the grains will last, which consist of flacked oats, crystal, choclate, and roasted barley. Or would I be better off stating a new batch of grains.

Thanks Rich

Depends on how they were kept. If they are crushed or not? etc. If they are not crushed yet and they were kept in a dry cool place, they will last for a long time. If they are kept in a damp, warm, environment and they are crushed, they will probably go bad in about 2 weeks or so.

if they're not cracked they'll stay fresh a little longer. but I've never had any become unusable. I've had some milled grains sit around for a few months but there weren't any issues that i could notice in terms of flavor or change in efficiency. I'd just brew the beer and enjoy it.

Unmilled will last at least a year in a dry, cool air tight container. Milled will begin to deteriorate faster. It too will keep longer if maintained in the same type of environment as listed above. I freeze all milled malt and like to use it in a couple weeks. I have no doubt that you can use what you have and you will make beer. It will not be the same as if you had a fresher product. My guess is in an Oatmeal Stout you would notice no difference.

Latest posts

Back