Saving an oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DbN Brewing

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout, 5 gal batch, all-grain, used a recipe kit. I had purchased several kits together of various recipes. I thought all the grain for the oatmeal stout kit was in a single bag. Brew day for the stout has came and went, weeks ago. The other day I was brewing a different beer and realized at the bottom of the box was the 1 lb of oats that should have been in the oatmeal stout(yea, I realize now that I’m a dummy for not noticing the oats the first time).

Basically I brewed an oatmeal stout without oats. The beer has finished fermenting and is ready to be kegged. Any options for using the oats, or do I just have an oatmeal stout sans oatmeal?

Thanks!

It won't be an oatmeal stout, but it'll be a stout, or at least it will be beer. So if it's just about finished then just keg it as if everything was normal and see if it turns out to be good beer.

Your mistake has given you a good opportunity for experimentation. Get another kit of the same soon and compare what the difference is when the proper amount of oats is used.

As for the extra oats, maybe just add them to another kit you have that you have already past experience with and see what change it makes for that beer.

Sounds like you have a Stout. Forgetting the oats may be a blessing in disguise since you're learning a new system....make sure you're prepared to address a potential stuck mash when using oats. In the meantime; Enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with a nice stout for breakfast!
:mug:

Been there; done that….almost. I was doing a kit like yours once, and set the oats aside while I ground my grain, (yes, using a corona mill). I didn’t want to grind the oats to make flour and then glue in my mash tun.

I guess I was about halfway through my mash cycle when I glanced over and noticed the oats, still in the package, right there on the stand!!!
I got them in the mash tun for a save, but I make sure to keep my flaked ingredients close by the mill and blend them in immediately after dealing with the whole grains now.

I have to confess though, there’s a prepackaged pound of flaked wheat in my cooler that I left out of some recipe way back when I bought kits. I have no idea what I left in out of, but whatever it was supposed to be in is long gone!

Back