o rings for pin lock QD's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a bunch of QD's for my pinlock kegs. If you unscrew the top there is an o ring inside. Of the nine QD's I got only 2 had this o ring. I searched and was not able to find anything about them. I have posted a couple of pictures to help understand what I am talking about. My 2 questions are:

1. Can anybody give me a part number for this?

2. Is it important to have them in place. My thought would obviously be yes or else there wouldn't be one there in the first place, but maybe I'm wrong.

QD with oring inside.jpg

QD oring close up.jpg

also, if you look in the second pic the o ring is very flat on the edges and sides. I went to the hardware store and they only had rounded o rings.

I lost one down the drain and without it the beer leaked out. I went to the hardware store and replaced it with a regular round O-ring and had no issues with it.

Ball lock quick disconnects have that flat plastic gasket under the cap.
176212-ball-lock-disconnect-grey-barb-b4_1.jpg

I don't know if pin lock disconnects are the same but from pictures of the top I'd guess they have the same gasket. Missing one on a ball lock disconnect is almost a guaranteed leak.

btw: the graphic shows the plunger up-side-down.
And that image is used on many retail sites ;)

Cheers!

Thank you!

So SH-817 it is! any idea of the best place to get these? The local hardware store did not have them. I am about to order various kegging o rings via amazon (I was advised to via this site) and hopefully they'll have them. If not, I'll have to look elsewhere.

hmmm. Just did a search and didn't find much. I'm thinking SH-817 is just a corny keg code, not a universal part number.

hmmm. Just did a search and didn't find much. I'm thinking SH-817 is just a corny keg code, not a universal part number.

More likely it's the SKU for the retailer that created that graphic.

That's it! I was hoping to do one order, but shipping on a few of those cant be that much.

Wait for it...

Cheers! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so everyone knows the O-Ring list thread has a debate that rages on for page after page about what o-rings are appropriate for pin lock kegs. It finally gets somewhat settled on page 11 if you wanna skip ahead and save yourself 30 mins.

My bad, its actually page 12, post #114

Back