Nugget hops are basically indestructible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, Nugget hops are basically indestructible. Once established they become weeds.

A couple of years ago I planted mature Centennial, Nugget and Columbus rhizomes. While all grew, only the Nugget produced cones.

As my luck would have it, neighbors tree shades were I planted the hops. When the hops where originally planted a few years ago this wasn't a problem. Time to move the hops!

I dig 3 nice holes in the terrible clay soil we have around here, thoughtfully fill the holes with a mix of soil I know the hops enjoy and carefully transplant the rhizomes.

Noticed today, Thursday, March 26, 2020, the Nugget rhizomes have several shoots above the ground. Nothing seen from the Centennial or Columbus rhizomes (at least not yet).

Last edited:
Mowed the lawn today, yes I'd rather shovel snow, and noticed the Nugget hops are growing a lot. I'll need to put up the trellis soon as they are not too far away from climbing. Also, noticed some Columbus growth. So far, nothing from the Centennial hops.

ALL of the hops I ever planted have become invasive weeks except for willamette.

I've ripped the cascades out over and over, dug them out, given crowns away, and today they are poking up through the snow and coming through my deck!
The hallertauer have tried to take over my garden, and the chinnook have claimed my greenhouse. The EKG are ok, so are the CTZ, and the northern brewer overall. I can almost control those. I have no ability to tame the centennial or get rid of them.

Hops and cockroaches will one day be the only survivors after Armaggedon.

As of April 11, 2020
Nugget hops
Nugget Hops April 11 2020.jpg

Columbus hops
Columbus Hops April 11 2020.jpg

Nothing, yet, seen from the Centennial hops.

I've had my Nugget hops in a pot since I bought them, and when I gave them fertilizer a couple years ago a raccoon decided to check it out. It had dug away maybe a quarter of the dirt and I thought that my Nugget had died, yet it still lives. I replaced that dirt with old manure that hadn't been cleaned out of a nearby barn.

The Nuggets are hands down stronger than the other hops I bought around the same time and planted much the same way.

I've had my Nugget hops in a pot since I bought them, and when I gave them fertilizer a couple years ago a raccoon decided to check it out. It had dug away maybe a quarter of the dirt and I thought that my Nugget had died, yet it still lives. I replaced that dirt with old manure that hadn't been cleaned out of a nearby barn.

The Nuggets are hands down stronger than the other hops I bought around the same time and planted much the same way.

No more raccoon problems?

Hence,
“Hops are a wicked and pernicious weed.”
— Henry VIII of England

Except there's no evidence of Henry VIII or anybody else actually saying that, see Myth 2: Hops were forbidden by Henry VI

Henry employed both (unhopped) ale brewers and (hopped) beer brewers and was keen to maintain the distinction between the two, hence banning the use of hops in ale but not beer. But (hopped) beer was vital to the Tudor (and subsequent) war effort, you don't send unhopped ale to sea. Henry built one of the biggest brewing complexes of all time at the Portsmouth naval dockyard, which was making 500 barrels per day in 1515, potentially 200k barrels per year?

Except there's no evidence of Henry VIII or anybody else actually saying that, see Myth 2: Hops were forbidden by Henry VI

Henry employed both (unhopped) ale brewers and (hopped) beer brewers and was keen to maintain the distinction between the two, hence banning the use of hops in ale but not beer. But (hopped) beer was vital to the Tudor (and subsequent) war effort, you don't send unhopped ale to sea. Henry built one of the biggest brewing complexes of all time at the Portsmouth naval dockyard, which was making 500 barrels per day in 1515, potentially 200k barrels per year?
Yes, true it is falsely contributed to the late King, and I knew that when I posted. Apologies if you found it offensive and thanks for the history lesson. Whom ever said it or published it did convey some truth about its persistence. whether hops are evil is rather subjective. ;)

While mowing the lawn on Thursday, before the BIG forecast cold spell, perhaps some snow, noticed the Centennial hops are growing. This means all hops, Centennial Nugget and Columbus are growing. No, surprise, at least to me, Nugget growth is much further along than the other 2 hops.

We had a bit of a cold snap for a few days. The vigorous Nugget hops now appear stunted. The slow to get started (actually considering the cold night was a smart decision on their part) Columbus hops are now nearly as tall as me.

The Centennial hops are twisting upward, but are not that wall.

The Nugget hops are no longer creating the twisting, upward grabbers.

20171001_165544.jpg

i think this was a 2017 harvest with the rhizome being 3 years old. Columbus. think i finished with 8 or 9 lbs dried off of 2 plants. i will be getting rid of one plant. awesome whole hop for half hopping or for hopped up beers. can be "grassy" at first but after the two week mellow out faze it is great.

View attachment 724089
i think this was a 2017 harvest with the rhizome being 3 years old. Columbus. think i finished with 8 or 9 lbs dried off of 2 plants. i will be getting rid of one plant. awesome whole hop for half hopping or for hopped up beers. can be "grassy" at first but after the two week mellow out faze it is great.
Very nice. I made a Columbus Pale Ale (an AHA recipe) with mine.

Went to Menards the other day for some garden supplies. Apparently they're selling nugget hops.

It's so resilient that I bet people who don't know much about hops are growing them successfully.

3lbs wet this year from my Nugget. Pretty good, considering the dry weather, temperature fluctuations this spring, and the general neglect they've been going through.

Also by far the best yield I've had from a plant.

Back