Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have mail in Mexico? Guess I'm just not getting why you are saying you can't send your packets back. Nothing that I've read says you need to be a resident of the US.

We have done some internal quality checks that have shown that a higher than normal percentage of Nottingham yeast in 11 gram sachet packs from batch #1081140118V (expiration date of Jan. 2011) exhibit slow fermentation characteristics. While this is not affecting the majority of packages from this batch, as a safeguard we would like to replace sachets of this batch of Nottingham with new inventory from a different batch. If you have any Nottingham yeast with this batch number, please return it by mail to:

Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

We will replace each sachet sent along with extra sachets to compensate you for postage costs. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support. Should you have any questions, please contact our Montreal order desk by e-mail at [email protected] .

Keith Lemcke
Danstar Yeast Sales

Thanks! That's what I call great customer service. I just used the first two packages of the 20 I purchased. They both took off in under 12 hours I'm waiting to see where they finish out. Thanks for the exchange offer,

I'm not in canada, I'm down south of the southern border! viva!!

Yeah? And we are in the US, still not in Canada... how is it again that you cannot return your yeast? I am in a foriegn land and mine is heading out tomorrow.

Got stamps?

I e-mailed Danstar a week ago with the issues I experienced with Notty, the rep called me and we discussed this issue along with brewing in general for an hour and a half. I work in manufacturing so I was quite interested in hearing what their root cause for failure was as well as their countermeasures to correct the issues. It sounded like they had a plan in place and stated they were going to publicly announce what was going on.

Today I received a package in the mail with some sachets of Notty. I for one can appreciate that they were honest and forthcoming with a quality issue they had, they feel they have corrected the problem and are replacing any existing packets. Yes, they did have a problem, but who hasn't in small or large scale processes. They have handled it ethically with a public announcement, recalling existing sachets and sending out some "extras" for the trouble. I'm not going to bail on them, provided the new sachets meet the "expected" outcome. Needless to say, I was very impressed with their customer service, especially considering I am a very small portion of their business.

I tossed my 8 sachets in the trash 2 months ago, figured this was never getting resolved. I first noticed the problem with this batch 6 months ago, see here, I held onto them for 4 months waiting, oh well, guess I lose....:( I'm not using dry yeast anymore, so I guess it's no big deal.

I'm shipping two packets back - pm me yr addy and Ill ship u some of the new stuff....

We have done some internal quality checks that have shown that a higher than normal percentage of Nottingham yeast in 11 gram sachet packs from batch #1081140118V (expiration date of Jan. 2011) exhibit slow fermentation characteristics. While this is not affecting the majority of packages from this batch, as a safeguard we would like to replace sachets of this batch of Nottingham with new inventory from a different batch. If you have any Nottingham yeast with this batch number, please return it by mail to:

Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

We will replace each sachet sent along with extra sachets to compensate you for postage costs. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support. Should you have any questions, please contact our Montreal order desk by e-mail at [email protected] .

Keith Lemcke
Danstar Yeast Sales

even opened empty packs? who keeps those around?

Thanks Keith,

I will be sending the few packets I have in. Thank you for this offer, it does ensure I will give Nottingham another chance sooner rather than way down the road, and helps renew my good will to your company.

Thank you community for chiming in with your experiences and batch info.

mail does not really function in mexico where i live. i'll have to fedex them, and ask that they send the new packets to a family member's address in the states, then pick em up next time i'm stateside. kind of expensive and a pain, but probably better then risking ruining 6 batches.

Is there any chance that there was some Danstar Munich with the same issues? I usually have a lot of activity with it in the first 24 hours and my latest batch I pitched 36 hours ago and the only activity I have seen so far is a small patch of tiny bubbles on the surface. Monday I brewed a partial mash dunkelweizen with OG 1.051.

I rehydrated the yeast, pitched at about 82 degrees, then put the bucket in my SOFC and set the temp for 60 degrees. 24 hours later there was no activity, I popped the lid and the surface was flat and still. I turned the temperature up to 65 degrees and 12 hours later there were some bubbles starting to form, but still no krauzen.

I'll check again in another 10 hours or so when I get home. By then it will be 48 hours. If after 72 hours there's still no activity I'll have to pitch some Munton's Gold because that's all I have on hand. I suppose things could always be worse.

So this is why I had to pitch my Braggot onto a fresh yeast cake to get it going. Pack was from that batch. Thinking I'd be safe pitching my Haus Pale Ale with a packet from a different batch, I am disappointed to see no activity in 24 hours on this one either. I'll give it the full 72 before I worry, but I've never had any Notty not kick off overnight. 1080360088V 08-2010 is the batch for this packet.

So this is why I had to pitch my Braggot onto a fresh yeast cake to get it going. Pack was from that batch. Thinking I'd be safe pitching my Haus Pale Ale with a packet from a different batch, I am disappointed to see no activity in 24 hours on this one either. I'll give it the full 72 before I worry, but I've never had any Notty not kick off overnight. 1080360088V 08-2010 is the batch for this packet.

I used a pack from that batch 1080360088V 08-2010 Sunday evening. The airlock was bubbling away when I checked Monday morning ~12 hours later.

Just got activity finally, not in the airlock but a foamy krausen. 67 hours later. Same procedures I've always taken. Edwort's Haus Pale Ale. Had an DIPA with S-05 in the exact same location a couple weeks ago and it took off normally. Maybe I'll make starters for the 3-4 packs I have left.

Dammmmnnn! I have 4 packets of Notty that fall into this lot number...going to get a padded envelope and send them all back to Canada.

I respect them for stepping up to the plate and helping their customers, I like this yeast a lot so, yeah, sure I will take some free yeast! It shouldn't cost too much to send a small envelope to Canada.

Dammmmnnn! I have 4 packets of Notty that fall into this lot number...going to get a padded envelope and send them all back to Canada.

I respect them for stepping up to the plate and helping their customers, I like this yeast a lot so, yeah, sure I will take some free yeast! It shouldn't cost too much to send a small envelope to Canada.

Around $1.50 first class to canada with two yeast packets in a padded envelope for me.

Anyone received replacements yet? I sent mine September 3rd. I just emailed Keith Lemcke with a "what's up" regarding the dozen I sent.

I had similar results after using my first packet of the suspect lot# of Nottingham. Took 3 days before I saw any evidence of fermentation.

Did anyone else notice a difference in the smell/taste with this yeast batch. I've made several batches of the Centennial Blonde, but this was my first batch with the slow yeast. I always noticed a nice nutty smell with the yeast cake, but not this batch. It had a funky almost clove like smell and the taste was not good. I just bottled yesterday, I hope it gets better.

The two things i did different with this last batch was use the Nottingham with the new lot# and I now have better temp control during ferment keeping it at 66-68. I think my prevoius batches ranged 68-72 with the old Nottingham.

I bought two packets of this batch.

The first one I rehydrated using John Palmers' method. I had normal fermentation. I haven't used the second pack yet, It's been in my fridge for a month or more.

Frankly, after my first results, I'm none too much concerned.

I just pitched with this same lot of yeast last night. Notty has always taken off w/in 12 hrs. This morning nothing, nada, nary a bubble. It just started started slowly this evening 24 hrs after pitching, so all is good. BUT this ain't the same old Notty.

I had similar results after using my first packet of the suspect lot# of Nottingham. Took 3 days before I saw any evidence of fermentation.

Did anyone else notice a difference in the small/taste with this yeast batch. I've made several batches of the Centennial Blonde, but this was my first batch with the slow yeast. I always noticed a nice nutty small with the yeast cake, but not this batch. It had a funky almost clove like smell and the taste was not good. I just bottled yesterday, I hope it gets better.

The two things i did different with this last batch was use the Nottingham with the new lot# and I now have better temp control during ferment keeping it at 66-68. I think my prevoius batches ranged 68-72 with the old Nottingham.

Yup same thing happened to me on my Blonde Ale. Tastes like a weak Hefe- clove taste etc. The taste does condition out a little more, but it is still there. But the estery smell seems to be ever present. I think mine has been in the bottle about 2 months. I would like to send this whole batch to them to drink as a thank you for ruining my batch. I am going to let it sit for another month as see but don't get too excited to drink it.

Great, I hope this didn't ruin my Braggot and my Haus Pale Ale. The cellar smelled funkier than it has ever smelled. Braggot was planned to be bottled this weekend, maybe I'll give it some more cleanup time.

Yup same thing happened to me on my Blonde Ale. Tastes like a weak Hefe- clove taste etc. The taste does condition out a little more, but it is still there. But the estery smell seems to be ever present. I think mine has been in the bottle about 2 months. I would like to send this whole batch to them to drink as a thank you for ruining my batch. I am going to let it sit for another month as see but don't get too excited to drink it.

I have a strong sense that my slow staring nottingham is going this route. I pitched it in my cider, took about 72 hours to kick off and there was a distinctively lemon-y smell coming off of the airlock. I am racking to secondary tomorrow, and will get my first chance to see how bad it actually is

I also pitched the Nottingham last night at about 9:30pm and have seen nothing. I will wait until 72 hours has passed, but plan on re-pitching with US-05. I pitched exactly as instructed by the package on a Scottish Wee Heavy from Northern Brewer. The brew went beautifully, but just prior to pitching, I took a look at my yeast (which I had re-hydrated) and it just had a strange smell that was unlike other yeasts I've had experience with. I do understand that this is a heavier beer (OG of 1093), but I'm not even seeing any colonies on the top. The Nottingham has completely sunk to the bottom, my wort is clear and NOTHING is happening. Again, I'll RDWHAB and wait until the 72 hour time period, but I have a feeling... nothing is going to happen. I have informed Northern Brewer and asked if they might consider sending different yeast with the kits that offer the Nottingham by default. This is just very disappointing considering how many good things I've seen about Danstar yeast. I hope they get their sh*t together and fix this issue as it doesn't seem to be specifically related to one particular batch (mine was from a different batch #). I don't know, just venting.

I'm with you WollenBrew. I pointed out to the CSR I was dealing with that I had the exact same problem with a Notty from a different batch and she insisted that the batch mentioned was the only one that had a problem. I disagree and will be changing to S-05 for my clean yeast until the problem is fixed.

I typically use the -05 as well... just picked up the Notty since it was cheap and clean.

I am not going to waste time (or money) buying Notty again, there is really no benefit as it is just a simple, clean yeast. I will start buying it again when -05 starts having quality control issues, hate to say it.

It is a redundant product, it has no niche, and this has turned me off. :confused:

Update: I took a quick look at the Wee Heavy last night and noticed a semi-transparent layer had formed on top with what looked like some yeast colonies. This morning, I went down and woo hoo! a 1/4 inch layer or krausen. I'm not excited about the fact that the fermentation is taking off so slowly and at this point, I'm kind of disappointed that I don't need a blow-off tube, 'cause I just love really active fermentation. However, I'm happy that we do seem to have some activity.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd be interested in hearing. Should I leave well enough alone or re-pitch with some -05 to get a more active ferment? My guess is that I should let it be and test SG on Sunday and see where I'm at?

I just went to my LHBS to pick up some sachets of Nottingham before seeing this thread. They were out and when I inquired, was informed that they had "been recalled."

A fellow homebrewer decided to try the recalled yeast to see what happens and guess what? It went 1 week and nothing so he had to pitch some other yeast, hope nothing else got in there since he waited a whole week.

I just recently bottled some EdWort's Haus Pale Ale that used this yeast and it's the only all grain batch I've done (out of 10 or so) that is completely undrinkable at this point. I don't know what exact tastes I'd attribute to it, but it's not good.
It could be coincidence and this is jsut the first beer I screwed up, but it also coincides with the only batch I've used this yeast on. Time will tell in a few weeks if it turns out to be at all drinkable.

I just recently bottled some EdWort's Haus Pale Ale that used this yeast and it's the only all grain batch I've done (out of 10 or so) that is completely undrinkable at this point. I don't know what exact tastes I'd attribute to it, but it's not good.
It could be coincidence and this is jsut the first beer I screwed up, but it also coincides with the only batch I've used this yeast on. Time will tell in a few weeks if it turns out to be at all drinkable.

I had the same problem on the same recipe. Mine tastes like a five day old banana milkshake, and smells like you just stuck your head in a dumpster. It has only gotten worse as the beer aged. I'll have to look at my notes but I think it's been in bottles for five or six weeks now.

Just wonderful news. Mine should be ready to bottle this weekend, guess I'll find out soon. And this is one out of their "bad batch" lot number but it had the same lag.

Well, I've made the same Centennial Blonde Ale with Nottingham yeast and it always turned out good. I just got a chance to taste my first batch made with the suspect lot# of the Nottingham yeast.

I noticed a bad/funky smell and taste when I bottled this batch. I bottled anyway, and after one week of bottle conditioning I thought I'd give it a try. It was entirely undrinkable. It had a very strong off taste, something between rotten onions and clove. I'm thinking I'd rather dump the whole batch that ever taste that again. :mad:

Back