Nottingham for a Citra DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
I normally use WLP001 or US-05 for my IPA's and IIPA's. But I have a couple packets of Nottingham and thought I might use them. I think Nottingham is the dry equivalent of WLP007, which I know stone uses for most everything.

If I kept the fermentation temps fairly low (like 62F), would this be a mistake for a Citra IIPA as compared to US-05? I generally don't like English IPA's, but do like Stone's IPA.

I just brewed a full citra Belgian IIPA using WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast. The fruity esters played nicely with the strong citrus. Started at 1.079 ended at 1.011 giving me about 9%. It took a month to mellow the citra a bit but now its pretty dangerously drinkable.

Never used any belgian yeast, but I just made a Citra DIPA and got my yeast mixed up at pitching time (damn double brew days) and pitched 004(Irish Ale Yeast) into my wort which was supposed to be getting Wyeast 1272.

It is still a very good, extremely drinkable DIPA that comes in at just under 9%.

I really like notty yeast. its clean at low temps. id try to keep it around 60* F for active fermentation then let it warm up to 70 after its done fermenting.

ive been curious to see how it would do in an IPA.

I really like notty yeast. its clean at low temps. id try to keep it around 60* F for active fermentation then let it warm up to 70 after its done fermenting.

ive been curious to see how it would do in an IPA.

What's the propose of letting it warm up.

What's the propose of letting it warm up.

let the yeast clean up. diacetyl rest...

Most ales that ferment higher i think you can just let it sit at that same temp but with notty i like to ferment it low (60) so raising the temp would help clean up a bit.

let the yeast clean up. diacetyl rest...

Most ales that ferment higher i think you can just let it sit at that same temp but with notty i like to ferment it low (60) so raising the temp would help clean up a bit.

Won't just letting it sit in the primary a little longer clean up the beer also? I'm new at this so forgive the probably obvious questions. Thanks

Won't just letting it sit in the primary a little longer clean up the beer also? I'm new at this so forgive the probably obvious questions. Thanks

Yeah, that's what most people do. i just raise the temp at the end cause it helps with attenuation and since yeast like warmer temps i feel it cleans up faster. idk if it really helps but it makes me feel better.

Yeah, that's what most people do. i just raise the temp at the end cause it helps with attenuation and since yeast like warmer temps i feel it cleans up faster. idk if it really helps but it makes me feel better.

Ok thanks for the reply I just wanted to see if I was thinking about This all the right way.

60-62 is amazing with notty. Be prepared for a work-horse that is voilent, clean and enjoyable. My go-to in most cases

Back