Nottingham dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notty just blew the lid off my fermenter that has my smoked Scottish ale and it

Is this a writing prompt? I will finish.

Notty just blew the lid off my fermenter that has my smoked Scottish ale and it made a sweet aroma that I couldn't stop sniffing. I took a deep breath and my ears screamed. The world cinched down to a pinpoint and I could only talk in dolphin chirps. We swam for hours in a world full of warmth and light eating red licorice, walking the streets of Las Vegas with arms made of stone like the giant sculptures from Easter Island.

Notty just blew the lid off my fermenter that has my smoked Scottish ale and it made a sweet aroma that I couldn't stop sniffing. I took a deep breath and my ears screamed. The world cinched down to a pinpoint and I could only talk in dolphin chirps. We swam for hours in a world full of warmth and light eating red licorice, walking the streets of Las Vegas with arms made of stone like the giant sculptures from Easter Island.

Yes exactly!

I just bottled my first batch using Notty. I was surprised to find it only took my 1.060 down to 1.015.
I mashed at 150 for 15 min and then 153 for 45. I did not use nutrient but stirred in plenty of oxygen.
Fermented at 64 for 2 1/2 weeks, bumped to 67 for 1 1/2 days before cold crashing...
This is the lowest I've ever had a beer attenuate at 75%

funny-cat.jpg

First two batches I did, I was told that room temperature would be fine. Was not more than about 74 ambient but they tasted like bananas. Since then have been keeping at around 65 (with pressure) and can use one pack for 12 gallons.

Crazy but good.

I'll have what he's having.

I've noticed some drastic changes over time in the bottle with this yeast.
I brewed a 94% Munich 6% Caramunich 1.056 OG beer with it, fermented at 63 (I wish I would've done 58!) and raised gradually to help with attenuation.... I was kind of going for a lager-ish Munich beer.
At 2-4 weeks in bottle it was very clean. I was thrilled.
Then 4-7ish weeks it started to change to a very dark fruit like flavor. Also very good tasting.
Now, it's developed a spicy,
Slightly yeasty, drier (not in good way), and some other flavor I can't describe that isn't really pleasant.
Anyone experience changes like this over time? I want to try again with this yeast around 58 F but not if it will eventually go the same way this beer did.

I've noticed some drastic changes over time in the bottle with this yeast.

Anyone experience changes like this over time?

How much sediment do you have in the bottles? That sounds like you bottle conditioned with a lot of yeast in suspension or you might have an infection. If you have a decent yeast cake at bottom of each bottle then it could definitely still be working and changing.

I have not noticed anything dramatic from my beers other than the regular changes from a 'green' beer to a more settled wholistic beer.

How much sediment do you have in the bottles? That sounds like you bottle conditioned with a lot of yeast in suspension or you might have an infection. If you have a decent yeast cake at bottom of each bottle then it could definitely still be working and changing.

I have not noticed anything dramatic from my beers other than the regular changes from a 'green' beer to a more settled wholistic beer.

I'm pretty sure it's not infected, no extra carbonation since it reach full carb. And there actually not much sediment either,

Back