Northern Brewer Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not likely. There are plenty of people who will still buy there. Plenty of people boycott places like WalMart and Sam's Club for the way they mistreat their employees, but they're not going out of business anytime soon.

I'm one of those people and it's not just the employees its the way they treat the community so I won't put my money in their pockets. I ordered from NB and it was a 2 week ordeal, that alone was the first and last purchase from them, 2 weeks is way too long for a simple in stock order.

I'm worried this is the new trend, like buying up smaller breweries.

Well this has been an interesting read... seems the tangent has gotten away from the OP's question despite numerous attempts to have everyone grab their respective soapboxes and move to another thread. Only thing that came out of this for me; buy where you want; boycott what you want, brew and let brew... Be thankful we live in a country that affords us the freedom to do so!

use homebrewstuff.com they are mt LHBS, but sell more stuff online than they do in store. I know the owners, and most of the employees. They are all locals that are homebrewers as well. That is what i like, they are all involved in the craft. Not just working a job. We also have Brewers haven locally. I never buy there. It is just another store out to make money. Most of the employees have little to no knowledge of brewing. Most just know how to work a register.

By all means, keep supporting the enemy

Why any one would want to support a company whose main intent is to destroy everything we love about our community is beyond me. Oh well, guess saving a few bucks is more important the preserving our heritage.

HOw are they destroying everything we love about our community?" Any more than NB already was doing when they became huge. And that's not their main intent. Their main intent is to make money. Maybe to make beer. To make money by making beer. This isn't Star Wars.

HOw are they destroying everything we love about our community?" Any more than NB already was doing when they became huge. And that's not their main intent. Their main intent is to make money. Maybe to make beer. To make money by making beer. This isn't Star Wars.

It does not matter what they do, what they buy, or what they make, how they make it, or how many people have jobs BECAUSE of their size.

They were hissed at when they were just Anheuser-Busch. No one cheered when the table was turned and there was someone bigger than Budweiser with enough capital to buy them out (InBev).

All that matters is that they are a giant corporate Kraken hellbent on sucking anything of value into the beer void. And now because of the antitrust merger conditions they have been regulated to a focus on homebrew supply.

Everybody would harp about how the big evil needs to be restricted when they were buying breweries like an impulse purchase of a pack of gum.

Well it happened.

Be careful what you wish for. Right? :p

Great minds think alike.....I wonder where these naysayers buy their gas. As long as NB maintains the quality, prices and doesn't move overseas I see no reason to stop buying from them.

A BIG beer company bought another beer company....big freaking deal. As far as "no hurry" shipping....you can pay more for faster shipping. $7.99 flat rate works great for me as I always order 10-14 days ahead of brewing day.

You guys will buy from whoever you want, but remember one thing....every small beer supplies shop has a goal to be big like Northern Brewers. JMO

Great minds think alike.....I wonder where these naysayers buy their gas. As long as NB maintains the quality, prices and doesn't move overseas I see no reason to stop buying from them.

A BIG beer company bought another beer company....big freaking deal. As far as "no hurry" shipping....you can pay more for faster shipping. $7.99 flat rate works great for me as I always order 10-14 days ahead of brewing day.

You guys will buy from whoever you want, but remember one thing....every small beer supplies shop has a goal to be big like Northern Brewers. JMO

That last part isn't always true. There are business people out there who want a "lifestyle business," where they make a living but don't plan to expand. You have to grow to stand still and keep up with losses, but you can be a comfortable one-off mom & pop if you like that.

I wonder where these naysayers buy their gas.

There is a major difference between crude oil (made into gasoline an thousands of other products) and the raw ingredients for beer.

Crude oil is a fungible commodity.

If you do not understand what that means and all of the implications, such as the FACT that some of the money you spend on gasoline WILL end up in the hands of ISIS, then I know why you used that question as a part of your analogy.

2015 profits for inbev were $9 billion. Their losses in sales in recent years are greater than NB profits, by a lot. They lobby the government (i.e.: bribe politicians) for favorable deals that are contrary to democratic principles and do everything in their power to choke out small business. Its not about making a buck or two. Its about getting back on the gravy train and dominating the beer market.

I am not passionate about gas or the gas industry, so I do not care who I buy it from. People bring up this analogy all the time, and it's a poor one.

You guys are right, I'm sure if ABInbev was able to control the entire beer market (both supply and sales), we would still have just as many options and the same amount of creativity as we currently have. After all when big beer controlled everything 30-40-50 years ago, the options were limitless. And lets face it, controlling the market IS their ultimate goal, not saying it'll happen but they will sure try hard to reach that goal, destroying any who get in their way.

You guys are right, I'm sure if ABInbev was able to control the entire beer market (both supply and sales), we would still have just as many options and the same amount of creativity as we currently have. After all when big beer controlled everything 30-40-50 years ago, the options were limitless. And lets face it, controlling the market IS their ultimate goal, not saying it'll happen but they will sure try hard to reach that goal, destroying any who get in their way.

Liked for the sarcasm.

Could we please take the AB InBev acquisition of NB/MW conversation to the thread already up for that discussion and continue with the topic of this thread which is alternatives to NB/MW.

Looks like you've given up trying to get back on topic :D

Untitled-1.jpg

By all means, keep supporting the enemy

Why any one would want to support a company whose main intent is to destroy everything we love about our community is beyond me. Oh well, guess saving a few bucks is more important the preserving our heritage.

Where in that article were you able to figure out AB's intent was to destroy homebrewing?

Excerpt from the article for all you doomsdayers.

"According to the American Homebrewers Association, 815 local homebrewing stores sold $764 million worth of beer-making supplies last year to the country's estimated 1.2 million homebrewers. They also say that's likely a conservative number, because a lot of homebrewing equipment is now available at retailers other than specialty local homebrewing stores.

Northern Brewer is estimated to generate some $50 million in annual sales, meaning that at a little more than 6% of the industry total, the industry remains highly fragmented."

There is a major difference between crude oil (made into gasoline an thousands of other products) and the raw ingredients for beer.

Crude oil is a fungible commodity.

If you do not understand what that means and all of the implications, such as the FACT that some of the money you spend on gasoline WILL end up in the hands of ISIS, then I know why you used that question as a part of your analogy.

The last 3 letters of my post were JMO, which means "just my opinion". But let's cut to the chase.....you seem to have a problem with corporate America. Do you have a 401 or IRA account?

Like I said, I'll keep buying from NB until they move across the pond. You buy where ever you like. This is my final comment as this horse has been beat to death. JMO

Where in that article were you able to figure out AB's intent was to destroy homebrewing?

Their attempt to control supply? They will treat grains/hop and other raw materials much like how Walmart treats it's suppliers. They will be able to command the lowest price due to volume and impact. If they complete their goal, they will put every other LHBS out of business and be the sole supplier. How can people not see this? I guess it will be good for people whose only concern is saving money, it will be bad for those who enjoy the culture we currently enjoy. A culture that exists despite ABInbev's presence not because of it. They will quash it given the opportunity. The articles contention that ABInbev also wants to influence future brewmasters who oft come from a homebrewing background seems a bit farfetched, but rest assured there is a long-term, nefarious plan with this acquisition. A plan that does not include fostering the wonderful community that we all love.

Wish I lived a couple blocks from a nb brick and mortar store. Curious to see what the buyouts due to the store. Anyone ever been in one? With some big money back I could see it being an upgrade locally. Anyways, I'm sure that store is nicer than where I go. Online suggestion whatever is cheapest.

Local NB store is where I've done most of my shopping for the last 2 years. It's definitely a nice facility, I'll let you know if I see any major changes.

Appreciate the sarcasm, but the lack of choices in the past had more to do with government regulations, consumer preference, and barriers of entry for competitors. I think AB-Inbev has proven they’ll make anything (Think Bud-Light Clamato) to make a buck…

The last 3 letters of my post were JMO, which means "just my opinion". But let's cut to the chase.....you seem to have a problem with corporate America. Do you have a 401 or IRA account?

Like I said, I'll keep buying from NB until they move across the pond. You buy where ever you like. This is my final comment as this horse has been beat to death. JMO

And now you build a strawman based upon your ability to read my mind.

LEt's cut to the chase. You have no idea what is in my mind, and never will. I have never said I have a problem with "corporate America" (whatever the hell that's supposed to be). I have problems with specific policies of some organizations. I act on that by refusing to do business with those entities.

Appreciate the sarcasm, but the lack of choices in the past had more to do with government regulations, consumer preference, and barriers of entry for competitors. I think AB-Inbev has proven they’ll make anything (Think Bud-Light Clamato) to make a buck…

The big beer companies worked for decades after prohibition to ensure that homebrewing would remain illegal. If big beer could turn back the clock and make homebrewing illegal again by buying the right politicians, they would most certainly do it.

And remember, it took homebrewing being legal to bring about the craft beer revolution.

Their attempt to control supply? They will treat grains/hop and other raw materials much like how Walmart treats it's suppliers. They will be able to command the lowest price due to volume and impact. If they complete their goal, they will put every other LHBS out of business and be the sole supplier. How can people not see this? I guess it will be good for people whose only concern is saving money, it will be bad for those who enjoy the culture we currently enjoy. A culture that exists despite ABInbev's presence not because of it. They will quash it given the opportunity. The articles contention that ABInbev also wants to influence future brewmasters who oft come from a homebrewing background seems a bit farfetched, but rest assured there is a long-term, nefarious plan with this acquisition. A plan that does not include fostering the wonderful community that we all love.

I think its a stretch to think that a company that owns 6% of a market can put anyone out of business. And its ironic as hell that people buy from NB because they're cheaper than the local but are now going all chicken little because AB wants to put that same local out of business. Want to keep culture and locals open? Buy from them.

The market will go where the demand takes it. AB has marketed against craft for years but demand is strong and that market grew. With all their might they couldn't beat the craft beer growth so they decided to spend and spend mightily to join it.

So now they enter a market with combined revenue smaller than what they have paid for a single craft brewery and are going to take over the world one bag of grain at a time?

Their attempt to control supply? They will treat grains/hop and other raw materials much like how Walmart treats it's suppliers. They will be able to command the lowest price due to volume and impact. If they complete their goal, they will put every other LHBS out of business and be the sole supplier. How can people not see this?

Please quote the part of the article where you are getting this from. I'm starting to think we are reading two different stories.

As far as an attempt to control supply... please refer to this quote from the article, "Northern Brewer is estimated to generate some $50 million in annual sales, meaning that at a little more than 6% of the industry total, the industry remains highly fragmented."

AB should have also invested in tin foil... there's going to be a shortage with all the hats being made.

The big beer companies worked for decades after prohibition to ensure that homebrewing would remain illegal. If big beer could turn back the clock and make homebrewing illegal again by buying the right politicians, they would most certainly do it.

And remember, it took homebrewing being legal to bring about the craft beer revolution.

That's what I meant by saying "government regulations". People need to understand that businesses do not want competition. They would prefer to be the only game in town. That is why it is important to vote for politicians that believe in keeping regulations and barriers to entry in the beer market low.

And now you build a strawman based upon your ability to read my mind.

LEt's cut to the chase. You have no idea what is in my mind, and never will. I have never said I have a problem with "corporate America" (whatever the hell that's supposed to be). I have problems with specific policies of some organizations. I act on that by refusing to do business with those entities.

You've made it clear that you don't like big business. It's not reading your mind.

You've made it clear that you don't like big business. It's not reading your mind.

Quote me where I stated I don't like big business, then.

I don't like AB InBev. I refuse to do business with them.

I don't like WalMart. I refuse to do business with them.

Those are specific organizations with business practices I disagree with, not some catch all "big business" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be) that you keep putting in my mouth.

Quote me where I stated I don't like big business, then.

I don't like AB InBev. I refuse to do business with them.

I don't like WalMart. I refuse to do business with them.

Those are specific organizations with business practices I disagree with, not some catch all "big business" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be) that you keep putting in my mouth.

I stand corrected. You decide who you'll do business with based on their political leanings (whatever the hell that means). Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

I think there is a pretty clear divide between those who think drinking AB/InBev products is a moral choice and those who don't.

This thread has gotten a bit off topic. We all know many don't like the acquisition and why, or are for it and why. There is a separate thread to project your feelings and thoughts on that topic..https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=592174......

The topic for this thread is: Norther Brewer replacement!

Please post replacement vendors and why you would recommend the replacement vendor.

http://homebrewing.org Is the one I would recommend. Good customer service. Excellent prices. Great proprietary equipment. Excellent pricing for shipping especially if you are in the great lakes region. As a bonus they have a pretty good rewards system.

This thread has gotten a bit off topic. We all know many don't like the acquisition and why, or are for it and why. There is a separate thread to project your feelings and thoughts on that topic..https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=592174......

The topic for this thread is: Norther Brewer replacement!

The first 10-15 pages are pretty on topic and cover most NB replacements.

The threads gone too far now... there's no bringing it back from :off:.

I stand corrected. You decide who you'll do business with based on their political leanings (whatever the hell that means). Sorry for putting words in your mouth.

I think there is a pretty clear divide between those who think drinking AB/InBev products is a moral choice and those who don't.

And you yet again build up a strawman.

My dislike of both WalMart AND AB InBev has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with their business practices.

I think it's pretty clear, you have no clue what I believe, so you just make it up as you go along.

After reading through this thread I just bought some stock in Alcoa. Gonna make a killing as they make aluminum foil.:D Thanks for the tip guys. Then I will have bukoo coin to buy brewing supplies from whoever survives this "debacle of things to come". As for me I will continue to buy from the store that is about an hour from me and from Morebeer, and other venders from this forum that offer good prices, fast shipping, and great customer service!

John

OMG, you guys are making me panic, the latest rumor is InBev/AB is trying to buy up all the oxygen. How are we going to oxygenate our wort??? ..... or even breathe ...... Also heard the next buy is Trojan is next, after a few beers with your love, you need condoms

My dislike of both WalMart AND AB InBev has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with their business practices.

I think it's pretty clear, you have no clue what I believe, so you just make it up as you go along.

Please go read post #116 where you say "politics" and talk about a CEO that uses his company to promote his" political leanings."

When I was mistaken, I acknowledged it. But I'm only trying to read your words, and it says politics. I think that was about home depot.

Even though I said I'm done commenting, my curiosity got the best of me. You stated earlier that you had political reasons for not buying from certain companies.....NOW you say it's not political. If it's not political, please explain what "business practices" influence your buying habits. Inquiring minds want to know. Again, JMO.

Please go read post #116 where you say "politics" and talk about a CEO that uses his company to promote his" political leanings."

When I was mistaken, I acknowledged it. But I'm only trying to read your words, and it says politics. I think that was about home depot.

That was about another specific organization, Home Depot, and had precisely nothing to do with WalMart and AB InBev, so again, you just made stuff up and tried to apply one statement about a specific organization to some nebulous "corporate America" (whatever the hell that is).

Here's another for you. I refuse to hire one local plumbing company because they put a fish symbol on their company sign and I refuse to do business with an organization that feels like they have to wear religion like a coat.

I also refuse to do business with Linksys due to bad customer service experiences after Cisco bought them out, yet in my professional capacity I have literally done millions of dollars of business with Cisco because of the Customer Service they deliver for their business class gear.

Go figure, I choose to not do business with many and varied organizations for many and varied reasons, just as is my right and just like millions of other people.

That was about another specific organization, Home Depot, and had precisely nothing to do with WalMart and AB InBev, so again, you just made stuff up and tried to apply one statement about a specific organization to some nebulous "corporate America" (whatever the hell that is).

Here's another for you. I refuse to hire one local plumbing company because they put a fish symbol on their company sign and I refuse to do business with an organization that feels like they have to wear religion like a coat.

I also refuse to do business with Linksys due to bad customer service experiences after Cisco bought them out, yet in my professional capacity I have literally done millions of dollars of business with Cisco because of the Customer Service they deliver for their business class gear.

Go figure, I choose to not do business with many and varied organizations for many and varied reasons, just as is my right and just like millions of other people.

Your list of companies is very small, according to one post. Now it's many and varied. You're saying a bunch of different things. And then you say everyone is making a straw man.

Back